Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

New Oreck vacuums
Original Message   May 5, 2010 5:19 pm
Today I fortuitously stopped at the local Oreck dealer. 

Mike, the owner of several Oreck franchises and a few multi-brand stores had brought his new Edge upright from home, as stock had not arrived yet.

It has a more powerful motor, with a true  floating head. LED lights, infinite speed control AND and on-board stretch hose with a permanently attached telescopic crevice tool that is automatically active when the handle is in the upright position.  It lacks the Pilot's pivot head and the Halo's germ killing light. A model incorporating all three features is under development.  It is still easy to push, although it weighs 10 lb and requires a bit more effort than previous models.

There is a commercial OBT upright made by Stein (Sebo) that is very nice at only 450.00.  Oreck WILL be offering a bagless upright, but dealer participation is optional.  The new canister is color matched to the Edge and designed to be leaned on as the user vacuums stairs. Odd looking bare floor/crevice tool, no swivel neck. The bristles fold in to form the crevice tool, and the wand is inserted into a neck that curves more than 60 and less than 90 degrees, much like the OLD bare floor tools made of wood with the metal neck screwed on. A turbo tool is included and a dusting brush.

A cute little bagless canister is available for 49.99  Oreck has increased market share and has 89% brand recognition as a vacuum cleaner. They have become #1in  air purifier sales. (Mike did not say if that was dollar volume, or units or both.

The price of the Edge and matching canister will be about 750.00

Oreck is still marketing, still developing product, and still building a loyal customer base.
Replies: 65 - 74 of 244Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: New Oreck vacuums
Reply #65   May 10, 2010 1:04 pm
A quick aside on the vacuum that goes first.  I'm amazed after all these years that youngins, so called pros, still push this poop to sell their favorite brand and model, whatever it may be.  As recent as last week I encountered this sales myth with what else?  You got it, a DC28.  I was told by the seller that in all store and customer tests done, whatever vacuums were used, including an array of dysons both new and old [even the new all white DC25], left behind rug dirt which only a DC28 with deep cleaning got up.  Due to what else: It's latest airmuscle technology.  I specifically asked him if he did the rug tests the other way around.  Oh, yes, yes.  We did it the other way too using a DC28 first.  The otehrs can't pick up anymore dirt.  Oh, I said.  Okay and nodded ny head in agreement.   

Well, I let the youngin go on.  Asked some questions about filters and cleaning maintenance.  Let him go thru the motions with the attachments.  I noticed the store's DC28 had dirt in.  So, I removed the bin while we talked, and I hit the tab to dump it.  I played the I didn't know card with the sales person.  Much as I expected he would, he went scrambling for a remote outlet and powered up the DC28.  I made sure he and I used the lowest setting on the DC28 at the last cleaning and went back and forth over the rug until we got it all.  Now, you know what I did next.  Yup.  I said to him.  You know before I plunk down $599 plus tax on this vacuum would you mind if I take this DC14 and run it over the same rug.  Just to see what happens.  His face dropped.  You know what happened next.  He powered up the DC14 and voila, he picked up more dirt on the rug after vacuuming thoroughly with a DC28.  I watched his reaction and believe I made a point that he will not soon forget.  He instantly knew he lost the sale.  Hopefully he learned a lesson, even if it was the hard way.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 10, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #66   May 10, 2010 3:26 pm
CarmineD wrote:
 . . .  Well, I let the youngin go on.  Asked some questions about filters and cleaning maintenance.  Let him go thru the motions with the attachments.  I noticed the store's DC28 had dirt in.  So, I removed the bin while we talked, and I hit the tab to dump it.  I played the I didn't know card with the sales person.  Much as I expected he would, he went scrambling for a remote outlet and powered up the DC28.  I made sure he and I used the lowest setting on the DC28 at the last cleaning and went back and forth over the rug until we got it all.  Now, you know what I did next.  Yup.  I said to him.  You know before I plunk down $599 plus tax on this vacuum would you mind if I take this DC14 and run it over the same rug.  Just to see what happens.  His face dropped.  You know what happened next.  He powered up the DC14 and voila, he picked up more dirt on the rug after vacuuming thoroughly with a DC28.  I watched his reaction and believe I made a point that he will not soon forget.  He instantly knew he lost the sale.  Hopefully he learned a lesson, even if it was the hard way.

Carmine D.

Hi,

This is what I'm talking about.  You walk into a store and get fairytales. As always, the best consumer is the imformed consumer. It never hurts to keep an open mind and thoroughly research products you think you may be interested in buying.

By the way did the DC28 handle well at its lowest height setting?

Venson

HARDSELL

Reply #67   May 10, 2010 5:04 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi,

This is what I'm talking about.  You walk into a store and get fairytales. As always, the best consumer is the imformed consumer. It never hurts to keep an open mind and thoroughly research products you think you may be interested in buying.

Venson

You get some fairy tales from inexperienced and untrained employees.  You get deceptive advice from biased posters on the web.  However, visit an indie and you will always learn that the brand he sells is the best without doubt.  The confusing part is they do not all sell the same brand.  How can all brands be the best?

I am sure you meant a correctly informed consumer. 

CarmineD

Reply #68   May 10, 2010 5:16 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi,

Venson

Hi Venson:

Fine for me.  But, I can see the point made by some reviewers and Consumer Reports that some users would find the DC28 difficult to push and pull if you are doing alot of rug vacuuming.  Hence, the reason IMHO that dyson DC28 defaults when powered up to the medium setting.  In the medium setting, the DC28 did not get up all the dirt on the carpet but is easier to push and pull.  Only the low setting worked for the removal of dirt on the low carpeting.  A reason I dumped the dirt bin on the store carpeting and apologized rather than allowing the sales person to use a specially made throw rug in the store for comparative vacuum tests.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 10, 2010 by CarmineD
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #69   May 10, 2010 6:05 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
You get some fairy tales from inexperienced and untrained employees.  You get deceptive advice from biased posters on the web.  However, visit an indie and you will always learn that the brand he sells is the best without doubt.  The confusing part is they do not all sell the same brand.  How can all brands be the best?

Hardsell, you make some good points.  "Best" for you, isn't necessarily "best" for me.   What vacuums would you sell if you were in the business?

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
retardturtle1

Reply #70   May 10, 2010 8:46 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

Hardsell

I gotta say i agree with you.... consumer should research/do homework before they buy...knowingly deceptive dealers/posters hurt those that really care and try.

But at the same time the indie/employee poster can give an exp first hand point of view on the models/types that have stood the test of time and what is overpriced hype.

turtle 

Trebor

Reply #71   May 10, 2010 9:04 pm
Severus.

You did not ask me what brand I would sell, but I will respond anyway because my friend who manages a vac shop does quite well with the following, from lowest to highest.
D/D featherweight bagged, Hoover Tempo bagged. From there to the Sanitaire upright/Mighty Mite line which just overlaps the Miele uprights in price, and of course he has the Miele canisters.
THAT'S IT, yet he manages to close 75% or better of the people who stop to look. Not always on the first visit, mind you, but they come back to look again with remarkable consistency.and go home with a vacuum.
The store is about 600 square feet and has used vacss, a few carpet cleaners, and a few electric brooms and floor steamers.

I asked him once why he did not carry more of a selection. He said," People shop price or quality. They may say they shop both, but one inevitably wins out. The 40.00 and 90.00 price points I sell  are decent quality, I don't get many of them back, and I almost never get a Sanitaire or a Miele back.  More choices means more confusion for the customer, and a lower overall closing percentage. This is what works for me. I get a lot of those folks who left here, and looked elsewhere. They come back here because I make it simple.  Do you have 1) Carpets? 2)Pets?3) Allergies? If they are set on a bagless, I offer them a used one. Sanitaire is a good basic durable upright that cleans carpet well.  The lightest Sanitaire competes with Oreck and Miele crushes everyone in performance and filtration.  If they want a clean air upright with OBT, Miele starts at 549.00, I get them with a trade. I don't see any need to carry more skus and confuse my customers. "

Hard to argue with success.

Trebor
HARDSELL

Reply #72   May 11, 2010 6:32 am
Severus wrote:
Hardsell, you make some good points.  "Best" for you, isn't necessarily "best" for me.   What vacuums would you sell if you were in the business?

I was just making a point which BTW are not unique to just vacuums.  I do not have enough interest in vacuums to be in the business. 

I have sold some properties and a few other goods.  My son always says I am too honest to be in sales.  If there is a flaw in what I sell I always point it out regardless if it is not noticable. 

CarmineD

Reply #73   May 11, 2010 9:48 am
Trebor wrote:
Severus.

You did not ask me what brand I would sell, but I will respond anyway because my friend who manages a vac shop does quite well with the following, from lowest to highest.
D/D featherweight bagged, Hoover Tempo bagged. From there to the Sanitaire upright/Mighty Mite line which just overlaps the Miele uprights in price, and of course he has the Miele canisters.
THAT'S IT, yet he manages to close 75% or better of the people who stop to look. Not always on the first visit, mind you, but they come back to look again with remarkable consistency.and go home with a vacuum.
The store is about 600 square feet and has used vacss, a few carpet cleaners, and a few electric brooms and floor steamers.

I asked him once why he did not carry more of a selection. He said," People shop price or quality. They may say they shop both, but one inevitably wins out. The 40.00 and 90.00 price points I sell  are decent quality, I don't get many of them back, and I almost never get a Sanitaire or a Miele back.  More choices means more confusion for the customer, and a lower overall closing percentage. This is what works for me. I get a lot of those folks who left here, and looked elsewhere. They come back here because I make it simple.  Do you have 1) Carpets? 2)Pets?3) Allergies? If they are set on a bagless, I offer them a used one. Sanitaire is a good basic durable upright that cleans carpet well.  The lightest Sanitaire competes with Oreck and Miele crushes everyone in performance and filtration.  If they want a clean air upright with OBT, Miele starts at 549.00, I get them with a trade. I don't see any need to carry more skus and confuse my customers. "

Hard to argue with success.

Trebor

Thanks Trebor for the insight.  How long has your friend been in the vacuum business and how would you characterize his personal and professional honesty?

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #74   May 11, 2010 2:11 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I was just making a point which BTW are not unique to just vacuums.  I do not have enough interest in vacuums to be in the business. 

I have sold some properties and a few other goods.  My son always says I am too honest to be in sales.  If there is a flaw in what I sell I always point it out regardless if it is not noticable. 

Why do you need to be dishonest in sales?
Replies: 65 - 74 of 244Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42