Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > What is the 'shelf life' of Miele AH-50 HEPA Filters?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
future_retiree

Newly interested in learning about upper scale/high end home appliances!

What is the 'shelf life' of Miele AH-50 HEPA Filters?
Original Message   May 2, 2010 11:56 pm
Title says it all, what is the realistic shelf storage life of the Miele AH-50 HEPA filters? I'm not asking about using them in a vac, I'm talking about buying them, letting them sit around for a while, like several years, and then installing and using them in a vacuum.

Does the charcoal lose it's effectiveness after sitting around for several years (in the box), or do the filter elements become less effective over time? 

The situation is, I learned of a way to but the filters and bags for 50% off retail price. Considering that you almost never see the Miele filters and bags discounted, and never at 50% off, this may be a once-every-ten-years opportunity, and so I think I'll grab a few boxes of bags and some filters. 

For those curious how I found this, the local downtown business/merchant's association of the (well-to-do) suburban community near where I live is having a promotion to encourage shopping at the local merchants and store fronts for the next few months.  They are offering a local script, "Downtown Dollars", that is priced at 50 cents on the dollar, you pay $10 for $20 of their script.  The script is redeemable, up to a $200 limit, at local businesses. Today I noticed the local "sew and vac" store is participating, and they list themselves as a Miele vac dealer, although all they really carry is one display model, and have some old brochures lying in a pile.   I intend to ask them tomorrow if they will accept the script for some filters and bags, ... I half expect them to say no, but we'll see.
This message was modified May 4, 2010 by future_retiree

Vacuum history:
-- Electrolux 1205 (ran for 28 years, then it needed a new hose and replacement wand!);
-- Metropolitan Vacuum Cleaner "Vac N Go Hand Vac", 12V (auto power) mini canister x2
-- Miele LEO.
Replies: 12 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
future_retiree

Newly interested in learning about upper scale/high end home appliances!

Re: What is the 'shelf life' of Miele AH-50 HEPA Filters?
Reply #12   May 5, 2010 9:52 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Did you ever verify with the MIELE dealer that bags and filters were acceptable purchases for the retailers' script?

Carmine D.

Yes, I called and asked. They said, "ah, ..., yes". Having been in the shop once to scope it out, I suspect he (seems like a one man operation) saw it as a way to unload bags and filters that had not sold in years and years. The extent of this particular retailer's Miele line seemed like one sign on the wall and some product literature lying around.

Vacuum history:
-- Electrolux 1205 (ran for 28 years, then it needed a new hose and replacement wand!);
-- Metropolitan Vacuum Cleaner "Vac N Go Hand Vac", 12V (auto power) mini canister x2
-- Miele LEO.
CarmineD

Re: What is the 'shelf life' of Miele AH-50 HEPA Filters?
Reply #13   May 5, 2010 10:03 pm
future_retiree wrote:
Yes, I called and asked. They said, "ah, ..., yes". Having been in the shop once to scope it out, I suspect he (seems like a one man operation) saw it as a way to unload bags and filters that had not sold in years and years. The extent of this particular retailer's Miele line seemed like one sign on the wall and some product literature lying around.

Moot point now but thanks for the response. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 12 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42