Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?
Original Message   Dec 12, 2009 4:23 pm
Shark is going after the Dyson Ball pretty hard with the Navigator product.  It claims no loss of suction and claims its just as easy to maneuver as the Dyson Ball.  After acknowledging Dyson as the first to offer no loss of suction, they go for the throat.  They do a direct comparison to a Dyson Ball and state that they are equal in all ways (easy to maneuver, no loss of suction, 5 year warranty) but price.  For less than $200 you can get a Shark Navigator with a free steam cleaner thrown in to boot. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 133 - 142 of 157Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Re: Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?
Reply #133   May 5, 2010 12:43 am
CR has ratings for both the Shark Navigator NV22 and the Dyson DC24 on their web site.  the Shark has a slightly higher overall rating, but the 2 excel in different areas.  The Dyson had a higher score for emissions, but a lower score for pet hair.  It was surprising to me that the Dyson's score for cleaning with tools was poor.  Handling was better for the Dyson according to CR.  It goes to show that constant suction is only a plus when the constant level is adequate.  User ratings on the CR web site for the Dyson averaged 3.5 out of 5 stars.  the Navigator review is fairly new, so I didn't see any user reviews yet. 

CR has added a bunch of new LG vacuum models to the ratings. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #134   May 5, 2010 2:15 am
Thanks Severus.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #135   May 5, 2010 2:44 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Still dazed I see.  Most threads are not about Dyson.  However, you always compare Dyson to all discussed brands.  Again, thanks for the flattery.  Dyson, the most envied vacuum ever.

As usual you are wrong.  Shark compares the Navigator Pet to DC25.  Not me fartsell.  Not because of flattery.  Better product.  Better price.   

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #136   May 5, 2010 7:02 am
Severus wrote:
CR has ratings for both the Shark Navigator NV22 and the Dyson DC24 on their web site.  the Shark has a slightly higher overall rating, but the 2 excel in different areas.  The Dyson had a higher score for emissions, but a lower score for pet hair.  It was surprising to me that the Dyson's score for cleaning with tools was poor.  Handling was better for the Dyson according to CR.  It goes to show that constant suction is only a plus when the constant level is adequate.  User ratings on the CR web site for the Dyson averaged 3.5 out of 5 stars.  the Navigator review is fairly new, so I didn't see any user reviews yet. 

CR has added a bunch of new LG vacuum models to the ratings. 

Hello SEVERUS:

DC24 has very weak suction both in upright and tool mode.  If I recall right only 112 AW.  Wimpy.  Lousy brush roll too.  More a stick vacuum than lightweight upright.  In comparison, DC25 is a much better equipped product for valid comparison to Shark Navigator Pet all around including price.  No doubt the reason Shark chose it as its product for marketing comparison.  DC24 fails miserably except in price at MSRP $399.  Way over priced and the reason most retail for $299.  Still overpriced. 

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #137   May 5, 2010 1:19 pm
Venson wrote:
Well gang, no matter what you think of the Navigator -- I sold one today.  The only problem with the sale is that there goes another commision -- Costco hasn't hired me yet . . .

Though I came in for trash bags and spaghetti, I went to check out the vacuum aisle as usual and stopped not so much because there was anything new but because someone had finally unboxed one of the Navigators and left it out for display.  There was also a lady standing there looking at it so I took the machine down from the shelf (four feet off the floor) so we both could have a better look at it.  Even though we couldn't plug it in, naturally, I got to running my mouth and showed her how to use the hose, how the machine emptied and where the filters and cyclonic module were.

Regarding that matter, I took special care to inform her that though the Navigator is bagless the filters and the cyclonics module would require washing as needed.  A real surprise for me was that when I removed the container that holds the filter(s) I hadn't realized that not one but three layers of thick foam were in place. She's an apartment dweller and should be fine.  I won't lay this all on expertise -- teh price for the Navigator at my Costco was $160.  It proved quite a tempting choice against the $400 Dyson and the $298 Oreck set.  The only thing cheaper was the Hoover Dura at $134 but it was left out on display completely disheveled.

Venson

What did you recommend for her to buy next year?
CarmineD

Reply #138   May 5, 2010 1:25 pm
Lucky1 wrote:

FWIW Lucky1, buying from COSTCO she can easily return her prurchase USED after a year and even longer for a store credit/refund.  Nice thing about buying from COSTCO. 

Carmine D.

PS: I should add too that there are no questions asked.  No need for receipt.  No box.  They have on-line records to confirm.

This message was modified May 5, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #139   May 5, 2010 2:45 pm
Lucky1 wrote:

Hi Lucky1,

I am thoroughly aware of the company's past history and I understand you're feeling on this  but I whole-heartedly feel that with care you may be able to gety by.  To me the idea is worth a shot.  That is why I was very careful to make the person in question aware of the importance of care. 

As to failure due to defect as opposed to lack of care, I have had all sorts of experiences.  As an instance, I still  have a super-suction bagless VN1400P  Black & Decker canister in which the little motor that ran the rachet-style pleated filter cleaner -- purported to make lik easy -- died before even a half dozen uses.  I remember the pleated filter Euro-Pro bagless I owned and what a disappoint ment that was.

Nonetheless let me be honest.  Yes I do own a coupe of Mieles but I bought those when it was easy for me to acquire them.  If I'm looking for a vacuum now, when the budget is substantially challenged and a grand, 800 bucks or even 300 is not in the picture are not in the picture what do I buy?  That's why the Navigator selling.

Venson

retardturtle1

Reply #140   May 5, 2010 5:49 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Lucky1,

I am thoroughly aware of the company's past history and I understand you're feeling on this  but I whole-heartedly feel that with care you may be able to gety by.  To me the idea is worth a shot.  That is why I was very careful to make the person in question aware of the importance of care. 

As to failure due to defect as opposed to lack of care, I have had all sorts of experiences.  As an instance, I still  have a super-suction bagless VN1400P  Black & Decker canister in which the little motor that ran the rachet-style pleated filter cleaner -- purported to make lik easy -- died before even a half dozen uses.  I remember the pleated filter Euro-Pro bagless I owned and what a disappoint ment that was.

Nonetheless let me be honest.  Yes I do own a coupe of Mieles but I bought those when it was easy for me to acquire them.  If I'm looking for a vacuum now, when the budget is substantially challenged and a grand, 800 bucks or even 300 is not in the picture are not in the picture what do I buy?  That's why the Navigator selling.

Venson

Hi Venson

With the 5 yr wrty..and costcos very open return policy  and at $200-160.....its really worth a shot.  As far as quality goes id say they have addressed the non-washable

cyclone issue and have made it user friendly from what ive seen...not some others that are a nightmare to deal with...so perhaps they have also solved the other quality

issues of the past...within a year youll either be happy with your purchase..or hate it. ...return it and try out another kind....thats the honest truth on what id do....

turtle

CarmineD

Reply #141   May 6, 2010 7:13 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi Venson

With the 5 yr wrty..and costcos very open return policy  and at $200-160.....its really worth a shot.  As far as quality goes id say they have addressed the non-washable

cyclone issue and have made it user friendly from what ive seen...not some others that are a nightmare to deal with...so perhaps they have also solved the other quality

issues of the past...within a year youll either be happy with your purchase..or hate it. ...return it and try out another kind....thats the honest truth on what id do....

turtle

Agree with you turtle1.  As I think COSTCO stores and customers would too.  I recall COSTCO carried and sold the very first Shark Infinity upright [also washable cyclones] with much sales success from what I saw and heard.  If it were a flop I doubt COSTCO stores would have the latest edition.  COSTCO can easily take back almost 3 of these Sharks at $150 for each one of the almost soon to be discountinued d brand model 14 for $399.  I predict the latter d model will soon be a COSTCO clearance item at $200-$250.  Question is whether COSTCO will advertise the sale and/or just mark them down in the store as a clearance as it did with the DC18 Slim [long gone and forgotten].

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 6, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #142   Jun 12, 2010 3:43 pm
I've had my mind on many things lately and haven't had time to check up on stuff in as timely a fashion as I'd like.  If the following info has already been posted, please forgive my oversight.  In any event, I hadn't been hooked up with Consumer Reports for a while but they've repeatedly sent me "We want you back" emails.  This time they proved it.  They knocked five bucks off my one-year online subscription.

CR rated the Navigator as excellent re pet hair pick up but only good for carpet cleaning.  I don't see that as a major fault one way or the other -- it's good to be good.  It also ranked nicely in regard to emissions, tool air flow and noise levels.

There were a good number of reviews for other vacuums in the $60.00 to $200 price range with nice reviews.  Thus there appears to be some hope for those facing budget crunches this year.

Best,

Venson

Replies: 133 - 142 of 157Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42