Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Woman Claims Kirby Attacked Her

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
CarmineD

Woman Claims Kirby Attacked Her
Original Message   Apr 30, 2010 1:54 pm
Just when you thought you heard and seen it all, you get fooled:

http://www.chicagoinjuryattorneyblog.com/2010/04/libertyville_woman_files_cook.html

When FOX news first reported this, I couldn't help but think of the Kirby hair/head and pet massage tool which has always come standard with new Kirby vacuums.  The Kirby user claims she was under the bed vacuuming with the hose attached and the hose/wand came 'broke" apart and sucked off about 1/3 of her hair from her scalp.  A picture of the vacuum shows the lady's hair embbeded around and in the fan/shaft well of the Kirby.

Believe it or not.

Carmine D.

Replies: 10 - 19 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
budmattingly

Re: Woman Claims Kirby Attacked Her
Reply #10   May 2, 2010 5:04 am
I work with someone that actually has long hair and was vacuuming one day with a hoover.  She noticed something under her couch (don't remember what it was) and got down on the floor in front of the hoover while it was still running to pick whatever it was up. Her hair was drawn in by the beater bar. While it hurt and was a chore to reach the switch to shut the vacuum off, no damage was done to her hair. I don't think this woman has a case and I hope Kirby calls her on it. Even if the coupling did break, she probably kept running it into things while vacuuming with it on and caused a crack in it which eventually broke. I also have vacuumed under the bed with the attachment hose of a kirby, but  the kirby was never next to my head.

Sincerely,

Bud

vacmanuk

Reply #11   May 2, 2010 7:02 am
budmattingly wrote:
I work with someone that actually has long hair and was vacuuming one day with a hoover.  She noticed something under her couch (don't remember what it was) and got down on the floor in front of the hoover while it was still running to pick whatever it was up. Her hair was drawn in by the beater bar. While it hurt and was a chore to reach the switch to shut the vacuum off, no damage was done to her hair. I don't think this woman has a case and I hope Kirby calls her on it. Even if the coupling did break, she probably kept running it into things while vacuuming with it on and caused a crack in it which eventually broke. I also have vacuumed under the bed with the attachment hose of a kirby, but  the kirby was never next to my head.

Sincerely,

Bud

Here, here! Companies like Kirby can argue the case - but in actual fact so can all brands - its the fault of the woman who obviously couldn't be ars** to move the vacuum out of the way. Mind you, there was an accident in the early 1980s in the UK about a woman I had read in a local newspaper where she was standing next to her Kenwood Chef with long hair and the beater caught a strand and she had to have all her hair cut off as it got caught up in the mixer. I guess she soon learnt her lesson!
Venson

Reply #12   May 2, 2010 9:12 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Here, here! Companies like Kirby can argue the case - but in actual fact so can all brands - its the fault of the woman who obviously couldn't be ars** to move the vacuum out of the way. Mind you, there was an accident in the early 1980s in the UK about a woman I had read in a local newspaper where she was standing next to her Kenwood Chef with long hair and the beater caught a strand and she had to have all her hair cut off as it got caught up in the mixer. I guess she soon learnt her lesson!

Hi vacmanuk,

Following is a link to the only video I have seen having something to do with the incident:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/36876503#36876503

What is shown is that the entire front part of the Kirby hose connector is broken off.  Apparently the front of the connector broke off and the remaining piece stayed locked on allowing the machine to run.  (Look at the extension on the connector that applies pressure to the safety switch to the left of the suction port.)

I have never seen this happen before and I'd also ask the guys in the know here to stop the video and look carefully at the break plus the piece that separated.  The break looks very clean and therefore very odd.

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #13   May 2, 2010 9:27 am
Well I don't know anything about Kirby other than the fact that I have used a couple of the uprights - as an upright vacuum on carpets. I'd say though that it does show up the thought that if the hose connector doesn't stop the brush from moving at the front then it could be a design fault that Kirby need to look at. If the hose locks on at the front there's every possibility that the hose connector has become weak with age and the lock fastener has lot its lock rigidity or whatever abuse the hose has had in years of ownership then both the company and the owner will have to discuss ways in which an agreement can be reached.

I have however looked at this video again, but not at the section suggested by you, Carmine. If the news company reported this in 2010 and Kirby's release statement showing that the incident happened in August 2009, why are Kirby only getting wind of this now? Obviously the woman concerned has waited for her hair to grow back before her and her husband can take action but during that time Kirby could well have improved designs etc. Also aren't Kirby machines supposed to be regularly serviced? We're not told how long she has owned the model, whether she bought it second hand etc - see what I'm getting to here - it may be down to consumer negligence rather than the fault of the actual vacuum cleaner.
Venson

Reply #14   May 2, 2010 9:54 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Well I don't know anything about Kirby other than the fact that I have used a couple of the uprights - as an upright vacuum on carpets. I'd say though that it does show up the thought that if the hose connector doesn't stop the brush from moving at the front then it could be a design fault that Kirby need to look at. If the hose locks on at the front there's every possibility that the hose connector has become weak with age and the lock fastener has lot its lock rigidity or whatever abuse the hose has had in years of ownership then both the company and the owner will have to discuss ways in which an agreement can be reached.

I have however looked at this video again, but not at the section suggested by you, Carmine. If the news company reported this in 2010 and Kirby's release statement showing that the incident happened in August 2009, why are Kirby only getting wind of this now? Obviously the woman concerned has waited for her hair to grow back before her and her husband can take action but during that time Kirby could well have improved designs etc. Also aren't Kirby machines supposed to be regularly serviced? We're not told how long she has owned the model, whether she bought it second hand etc - see what I'm getting to here - it may be down to consumer negligence rather than the fault of the actual vacuum cleaner.

The nozzle for upright use has to be detached from the motor unit to use the hose.  Originally, the hose locked on to a metal connector which also used an additional convertor for blowing.  To simplifiy things in later years the connecting piece became an all-in-one affair permanently attached to the hose that could be used for hooking up either for suction or blowing without a lot of fiddling around.

Kirby does suggest regular annual service checks but that would usually mean bringing in the cleaner itself without attachments other than the rug cleaning head.  Though they do/did have an ongoing rebuild option for fire damaged machines, I don't think Kirby does long-term warranty on attachments.  Normally if a vacuum hose, especially after more than a year of ownership shows damage, it is up to the user to have it repaired or replaced at his or her own expense.

Venson

This message was modified May 2, 2010 by Venson
mole

Reply #15   May 2, 2010 11:41 am
This is very uncommon,

Never ever seen a clean break at that part of the machine hose end,It looks like someone has a personal VENDETTA against kirby, Or maybe owned stock in berkshire hathaway...........

The white substance around the convertor looks to be glue, Its possible that the end broke from being picked up or dropped while using the hose. Somethings wrong here.

MOLE

This message was modified May 2, 2010 by mole
vacmanuk

Reply #16   May 2, 2010 1:23 pm
Yes but can someone tell me, if the hose is connected to the fan at the front, does it stop the brush bar from moving? Is it like the old Hoover Junior design whereby when the hose is fitted at the front, it removes the drive belt temporarily to stop the bar from moving or does the brush bar keep spinning regardless?
CarmineD

Reply #17   May 2, 2010 1:59 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Yes but can someone tell me, if the hose is connected to the fan at the front, does it stop the brush bar from moving? Is it like the old Hoover Junior design whereby when the hose is fitted at the front, it removes the drive belt temporarily to stop the bar from moving or does the brush bar keep spinning regardless?

You're confused.  In order to use the Kirby attachments, as Venson posted, the head nozzle with the brush roll, has to be completely removed from the Kirby vacuum.  Then, the user attaches an adaptor/coupling with the hose to the front of the Kirby over the fan shaft opening.  This coupling when installed on the machine opening engages a higher speed for attachment cleaning with the Kirby.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #18   May 2, 2010 2:14 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi vacmanuk,

Following is a link to the only video I have seen having something to do with the incident:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/36876503#36876503

What is shown is that the entire front part of the Kirby hose connector is broken off.  Apparently the front of the connector broke off and the remaining piece stayed locked on allowing the machine to run.  (Look at the extension on the connector that applies pressure to the safety switch to the left of the suction port.)

I have never seen this happen before and I'd also ask the guys in the know here to stop the video and look carefully at the break plus the piece that separated.  The break looks very clean and therefore very odd.

Venson

Hello Venson:

Your original question is the crux of the legal mattter.  How and why did the poor lady get so close enough to the attachment suction opening on the Kirby to allow her hair to get sucked into the fan shaft opening?  That is the question without an answer now.  The case against Kirby and for the lady's credibility hinges on that question and the lady's answer. 

Not surprising that the lawyer waited this amount of time before suing.  As the lawyer said to ensure hair hair growth and scalp damage healed and is all back to normal before suing.  As Kirby stated the suit has not been served yet.  So Kirby is mum on the matter.  Lady's lawyer's comments lead me to believe he/she are both agreeable to an out of courst settlement.  While the break is abnormal, it is not entirely impossible.  $10,000 and a new Kirby hose/coupling should end the matter without the lady answering the Venson question.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #19   May 2, 2010 2:32 pm
vacmanuk wrote:

Once the rug cleaning head is disconnected from the front of the cleaner -- which must be done, the plastic hose connector has two hooks that attach to the bar you see toward the bottom of the machine in the picture.  You would swing the connector upward and flush against the face of the  cleaner and pull down the latch above it to hold it in place. The little plastic "arm" would automatically align and press against the safety mechanism that allows electrical power to the motor AND also ups the motor speed for attachment use.

What you see in the picture is that the portion of the hose connector that locks on to the cleaner's face is still in place -- the latch is locked, the switch trigger is in place but everything else is broken off.  Therefore this machine can run off the main switch with driveshaft and fans exposed despite the rest of the connector being broken away.

Venson

This message was modified May 2, 2010 by Venson
Replies: 10 - 19 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42