Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Visit to Best Buy and another local vac retailer

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

Visit to Best Buy and another local vac retailer
Original Message   Apr 7, 2010 11:38 am
I recently visited a local vac shop, not the one run by a close friend. We discussed Dyson and other brands. He maintains that Dyson WAYYY overestimated the cost of returns/warranty repairs when he invaded the US vac market, which is why the Dysons were given a 5 yr warranty. He said Dyson, despite rumors to the contrary, is making money hand over fist, and show no sign of slowing down. Even though the hose is excluded as a warranty part, Dyson is issuing repair authorizations for them. He also said he is selling Dyson dirt canisters, cords, roller brushes, and hoses like there is no tomorrow.  He said Dyson is ready to cut prices when necessary to boost flagging sales.  The DC-07 will make a reappearance at  $299 or lower when the time is right.

I stopped by Best Buy to purchase a memory card  for my camera, and wandered down the vac aisle, of course. 33 full size vacuums on display. THREE bagged machines, all uprights. Other than Dyson, only ONE canister, a Dirt Devil straight suction. Dyson had on display three cans and four uprights, over 20% of the vac sku offerings!  There are new and interesting things in the vac shops, but nothing has changed at BBR where most of America buys their vacuums.  According to him, Panasonic has lost the contract to build Sears canisters.
All of this is, of course, excellent news for Kirby.
This message was modified Apr 7, 2010 by Trebor
Replies: 25 - 34 of 62Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Re: Visit to Best Buy and another local vac retailer
Reply #25   Apr 10, 2010 1:16 am
Venson wrote:
I happened on an old Filter Queen magazine ad from the '40s.  The pitch then was that messy bags -- at that time the permanent cloth type -- weren't necessary but the emptying process was over simplified just as it is today.  Dumping FQ's wide-mouth dust bin, indoors or out, was just as prone to spreading dust as bagless vacs are now.

Most vacuums with disposable bags do simplify the issue of emptying but apparently there is a portion of the public that assumes by being freed of the responsibility of buying disposable bags, that's all there is to it for bagless models and that lives have been made better.  The bogus side to all this is that the fine print about frequency of emptying,  filter cleaning and/or replacement is read by few.  That will be great for repair shops and land-fill sites.

Besides basic price, the sale of bagged or baggless vacuums hinges a lot upon buyer ignorance and how much possible buyers like fairytales.  I'm in and out of sales venues of all types all the time and I am hard pressed to recall a time when I've walked in and heard a customer telling a sales guy as opposed to the sales guy telling them.  That said, I think bagless vacuum will prove of great interest to many us out looking these days due to present economic situations.  Were I in need of a machine now, I can't say the idea of bagless wouldn't cross my mind though, well aware of the inconveniences, I'd surely be prone to opt for a Rainbow or other water-type machine.  Next choice would be be to go back to just a plain old permanent bag vac and be done with it.

Venson

I was thinking to myself, what would I buy if I  had to buy a new vacuum today (fortunately, I won't have to buy one for a long time).  I had a bit of sticker shock the last time I looked at the CR ratings and saw wondered if the data on vacuum bag prices was accurate.  When you see prices like $5 per bag or more, it makes you think twice about the convenience of a bagged vacuum.  Fortunately both of my vacuums use relatively cheap bags.   In fact, I decided to test out a generic brand for my lux canister, and it seems like the suction has improved slightly. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #26   Apr 10, 2010 2:23 am
Severus wrote:
I was thinking to myself, what would I buy if I  had to buy a new vacuum today (fortunately, I won't have to buy one for a long time).  I had a bit of sticker shock the last time I looked at the CR ratings and saw wondered if the data on vacuum bag prices was accurate.  When you see prices like $5 per bag or more, it makes you think twice about the convenience of a bagged vacuum.  Fortunately both of my vacuums use relatively cheap bags.   In fact, I decided to test out a generic brand for my lux canister, and it seems like the suction has improved slightly. 

Hi Severus,

Which generic brand do you use?  From past use, I always felt that the genuine Electrolux bags were the better deal.  It wasn't so much a matter of suction level for me but fill capacity.  I usually set my Lux automatic at the halfway mark, reasonable I thiink, and it shut off once the bag was full but not so full as to lead to my dogging the motor while cleaning.  The generics usually didn't have the multi-layer lining and clogged up more quickly leading me to change them before they were filled to capacity.  Lux bags for the automatic models were/are small but usually provided what I saw as an impressive rate regarding use and performance..

On the other hand, though great performrs, high priced Miele's bags make me very glad the place is small.  You know can put a whole chicken (not the organic kind of course) on the table for the cost of one bag.

Some more -- some less, a large part of the public either are or soon will be challenged by pricing on consumables for vacuums.  Back in the day, Panasonic, Electrolux and some other makers of vacuums we might have assumed used only disposable bags did offer permanent cloth bags as an option.  I wonder if that will come into play again even though the "new" solution to the problem is supposed to be the bagless machine. 

However, I once had a very good friend whom expected gas station attendants to all be Einstein.  Like him, expecting too much may be my greatest fault.  A good, reasonably priced vacuum with reasonable maintenance cost?  Might as well wish for the moon. 

That's why I've grown so much in favor of giving used machines or rebuilts like Lux, Kirby, etc., another run around the track.  Most will go the distance if in good shape and cost far less to acquire.

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #27   Apr 10, 2010 7:07 am
Severus wrote:

SEVERUS, VENSON and all:

Interestingly, since the on-slaught of all the bagless models in recent years, and contrary to the predictions by a certain bagless maker with its die-hard fans, these facts and circumstances occured:

• vacuum paper bag brand makers [especially in the USA] have increased,
  • paper bags have improved considerably in quality as dirt containment devices some using self-sealers,
  • germ/bacteria retardants are more common now in the paper with odor resistors, 
  • and more importantly bags are much better filtering devices, probably the best the industry has ever had,
  • supplies of paper bags have flourished 2 and 3 fold in quantity in most big box retail store aisles,
  • presumably demand of paper bags have increased too to justify the added supply,
  • presumably sales [and profits] of paper bags by big box retailers have increased too,
  • AND paper bag prices have gone up, probably the highest now than ever in the industry. 

Question:  Why and how could these things be so?  Shouldn't prices of bags go down?  Especially based on the on-slaught of all the bagless models, in all budget and price ranges, with all the dire predictions by bagless fans that paper bags would be made passe, a dinosaur [like me as I was called by bagless fans and admirers] of a by gone era.  With bagless as the all new beautiful feature.  Bagless proponents accuse vacuum store independents of self-serving profiteering from the sales of bags.  Yet, all the big box retailers, the primary venues for bagless vacuums, are making a sales killing off paper bags.  What happened?

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Apr 10, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #28   Apr 10, 2010 2:08 pm
Carmine - What happened was that during the paper bag era in the 1970s, pollution on a widespread basis in the 1980s has doubled human's allergies by the 1990s. I recall when I was growing up in the 1980s my generation didn't suffer from anything other than sunburn or the odd child here and there having some minor Asthma problem. However now the children and young adults I teach suffer from a whole long list of allergies and other problems (Diabetes in my generation was contained in pill form and sugar boosts; now some of my kids have to inject themselves!). Even if bags have made dust collection cleaner, the manufacturers have doubled their efforts to ensure that dust doesn't become a problem in the home. The idea of bagless isn't entirely new if you take Black and Decker's original dust buster on board and during the 1990s I recall many brands trying out larger pleated material filters to offer a cheaper "bagless," principle against the plastic filter/shroud mesh principle as seen here:

Venson - I'm not sure if they do this in the U.S/Canada but many brands in the UK now offer reusable cloth dust bags at the time of purchasing bagged cylinder vacuums. Electrolux for example do this with their current Powerplus range if paper bags are hard to buy. As for upright brands - not many offer a reuseable larger cloth bag. In the 1990s Hoover UK went out of their way to produce an "exclusive" line up of pastel blue vacuums in the form of their Purepower, Telios, Alpina and Arrianne range under the "Lifetime," sub-model name brand. Electrolux also produced a similar upright reuseable washable fabric dust bag for their Boss bagged uprights but they were very rare to find and Electrolux don't always sell the fabric bags now.

I had a Hoover Arriane Lifetime for example, came with 2 paper disposable dust bags and a reuseable material dust bag, I'm glad to say I still have today, 15 years after I bought the vacuum which was sold many years ago. Although Hoover still sell the Purepower upright bagged vacuums, they don't kit the machine out with the "Lifetime," material bag unless you specially order the bag as a optional cost consumable. There was talk on a UK Hoover forum that the cylinder bag can be used on Miele cylinders but I've a feeling that the bag holder has to be cut to fit the Miele holder in the first instance.

Interestingly enough though when I have tried cloth bags, they are a great idea but they are messy when it comes to emptying them, especially when dust sticks to the fabric of the bag and for much it does remind me of the times when our Oreck XL bag used to slip off the hook (before they improved it with the fold down hinge bag holder) and the fabric bag would be coated in dirt. Of course a way around this is to chuck it straight into the washing machine after it has been completely emptied, but having done this anyway and then dried in an electric tumble dryer, some dust and fluff can be found clinging to the surface of the bag. Sebo's commercial uprights can be used with a fabric dust bag but none of their domestic models can use the bag as the S Class filter wouldn't be able to cope and uses a slightly different design format.
This message was modified Apr 10, 2010 by vacmanuk
HARDSELL

Reply #29   Apr 10, 2010 9:44 pm
CarmineD wrote:
SEVERUS, VENSON and all:

Interestingly, since the on-slaught of all the bagless models in recent years, and contrary to the predictions by a certain bagless maker with its die-hard fans, these facts and circumstances occured:

• vacuum paper bag brand makers [especially in the USA] have increased,
  • paper bags have improved considerably in quality as dirt containment devices some using self-sealers,
  • germ/bacteria retardants are more common now in the paper with odor resistors, 
  • and more importantly bags are much better filtering devices, probably the best the industry has ever had,
  • supplies of paper bags have flourished 2 and 3 fold in quantity in most big box retail store aisles,
  • presumably demand of paper bags have increased too to justify the added supply,
  • presumably sales [and profits] of paper bags by big box retailers have increased too,
  • AND paper bag prices have gone up, probably the highest now than ever in the industry. 

Question:  Why and how could these things be so?  Shouldn't prices of bags go down?  Especially based on the on-slaught of all the bagless models, in all budget and price ranges, with all the dire predictions by bagless fans that paper bags would be made passe, a dinosaur [like me as I was called by bagless fans and admirers] of a by gone era.  With bagless as the all new beautiful feature.  Bagless proponents accuse vacuum store independents of self-serving profiteering from the sales of bags.  Yet, all the big box retailers, the primary venues for bagless vacuums, are making a sales killing off paper bags.  What happened?

Carmine D. 

You listed most of the reasons for increased bag prices (in red).

No doubt the uncommon is occuring where you live, however,   bags and bagged vacs are almost non exixtant in Sears, BB, WM and other big box stores outside LV and other towns that you do not visit.

What % of vac sales is bagged?

CarmineD

Reply #30   Apr 11, 2010 6:49 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Carmine - What happened was that during the paper bag era in the 1970s, pollution on a widespread basis in the 1980s has doubled human's allergies by the 1990s. I recall when I was growing up in the 1980s my generation didn't suffer from anything other than sunburn or the odd child here and there having some minor Asthma problem. However now the children and young adults I teach suffer from a whole long list of allergies and other problems (Diabetes in my generation was contained in pill form and sugar boosts; now some of my kids have to inject themselves!). Even if bags have made dust collection cleaner, the manufacturers have doubled their efforts to ensure that dust doesn't become a problem in the home. The idea of bagless isn't entirely new if you take Black and Decker's original dust buster on board and during the 1990s I recall many brands trying out larger pleated material filters to offer a cheaper "bagless," principle against the plastic filter/shroud mesh principle as seen here:

Yes, agree.  And other factors too.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #31   Apr 11, 2010 7:01 am
HARDSELL wrote:
You listed most of the reasons for increased bag prices (in red).

No doubt the uncommon is occuring where you live, however,   bags and bagged vacs are almost non exixtant in Sears, BB, WM and other big box stores outside LV and other towns that you do not visit.

What % of vac sales is bagged?

No HS, the uncommon occurs among the common all the time.  Just varies in degrees and locations.   What may be uncommon for you may be very common for another.  Bagged vacuum sales are still flourishing and even increasing among independent vacuum stores.  Quite to the contrary of the predictions of bagless prognosticators.   In fact, after experiences with some bagless models among many users/buyers, bagged sales have experienced a new found popularity, even among big box stores.  As I mentioned above, the on-slaught of bagless vacuum models is not a result of the superior bagless cyclonic technology as bagless inventors and fans would have had us believe.  The increase is a result of unique opportunities for sales and profits by taking on the high priced big box bagless, your favorite brand.  Ask yor local BB, WM, and SEARS how many bagless vacuum customers don't buy dysons and instead buy the competitors' brands.  Didn't you buy a HOOVER bagless upright AND NOT a dyson after having a DC07.  Apparently, that buying behavior is not uncommon.  I've noticed the big winners in the all the latest toyota trials and tribulations are toyota's competition and new car buyers.  Same is true with bagless vacuums and retailers' sales.  Big winners are dyson's competition, bagless buyers and big box retailers.  While the latter may stock and carry all the high priced bagless models, they are selling the less expensive brands with the better features and same cyclonic bagless technology.  Dyson doesn't get a cut of the competitions' sales or the retailers' profits.  Just as toyota doesn't.

Carmine D.   

PS:  SEARS Web site lists 24 pages of vacuum bags for a total of over 350 different types/models.  The only thing uncommon about that is the huge number.  I wonder what it is for WM and BB?  Would you like me to check?

This message was modified Apr 11, 2010 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #32   Apr 11, 2010 8:49 am
CarmineD wrote:
No HS, the uncommon occurs among the common all the time.  Just varies in degrees and locations.   What may be uncommon for you may be very common for another.  Bagged vacuum sales are still flourishing and even increasing among independent vacuum stores.  Quite to the contrary of the predictions of bagless prognosticators.   In fact, after experiences with some bagless models among many users/buyers, bagged sales have experienced a new found popularity, even among big box stores.  As I mentioned above, the on-slaught of bagless vacuum models is not a result of the superior bagless cyclonic technology as bagless inventors and fans would have had us believe.  The increase is a result of unique opportunities for sales and profits by taking on the high priced big box bagless, your favorite brand.  Ask yor local BB, WM, and SEARS how many bagless vacuum customers don't buy dysons and instead buy the competitors' brands.  Didn't you buy a HOOVER bagless upright AND NOT a dyson after having a DC07.  Apparently, that buying behavior is not uncommon.  I've noticed the big winners in the all the latest toyota trials and tribulations are toyota's competition and new car buyers.  Same is true with bagless vacuums and retailers' sales.  Big winners are dyson's competition, bagless buyers and big box retailers.  While the latter may stock and carry all the high priced bagless models, they are selling the less expensive brands with the better features and same cyclonic bagless technology.  Dyson doesn't get a cut of the competitions' sales or the retailers' profits.  Just as toyota doesn't.

Carmine D.   

PS:  SEARS Web site lists 24 pages of vacuum bags for a total of over 350 different types/models.  The only thing uncommon about that is the huge number.  I wonder what it is for WM and BB?  Would you like me to check?

Bagged sales may be increasing but I doubt they are flourishing.  They are the only one that can make a come back because they are the ones behind.  In 2001 bagged sales were 57%.  3 years later they were only 18% of sales. I believe Dyson was about the only bagless to be considered at the time.  Perhaps you can bring us up to date with current ratio of bagged vs bagless sales.  You spout off but never provide data.  HERE IS YOUR CHANCE.

I bought a Hoover bagless for comparison purposes. Sold mine before the trouble began.  My sister also purchased one and it was a piece of junk after 3 years.  My DC07 was like new after 3 years.  I may have mentioned this before, however I will repeat for your benefit.  I returned 2 Orecks due to pith poor performance.  Absolutely no consideration to keep them for 3 years.

Toyota sales in March 2010 were exceeded only by the F150.  They also had the largest market share for domestic auto sales in March.  Not to mention a 49% increase over March 2009 sales.  Now I understand why you consulting advice against Dyson bit you in the arse.

PS, I have data for the auto sales.  Please support your whimsical comments with data.

Venson

Reply #33   Apr 11, 2010 11:31 am
vacmanuk wrote:

Venson -  . . .
Interestingly enough though when I have tried cloth bags, they are a great idea but they are messy when it comes to emptying them, especially when dust sticks to the fabric of the bag and for much it does remind me of the times when our Oreck XL bag used to slip off the hook (before they improved it with the fold down hinge bag holder) and the fabric bag would be coated in dirt. Of course a way around this is to chuck it straight into the washing machine after it has been completely emptied, but having done this anyway and then dried in an electric tumble dryer, some dust and fluff can be found clinging to the surface of the bag. Sebo's commercial uprights can be used with a fabric dust bag but none of their domestic models can use the bag as the S Class filter wouldn't be able to cope and uses a slightly different design format.

Hi vacmanuk,

I did some looking around online this morning but didn't find much.  There's a reusable bag for Eureka's portable Mighty Mite series and I think the Hoover PortaPower can be fitted with one if not already included.  I don't know if Aerus still provides the two-piece affair that Electrolux once sold optionally.

The only vacs that I can think of that sell here with permanent bags included (wide-mouthed and usually used with disposable paper liners) are TriStar, Miracle Mate and Shoettler's Air Storm and Patriot.  All of these are very expensive niche brands.

I in no way think the reusable bag is ideal but at least it is designed for re-use.  Among the "thrifty", looking to save now as in past, there's been a habit of snipping off the sealed end of full disposable bags, dumping them and re-sealing them in whatever easily accomplished fashion (stapling or taping).  This usually leads to problems later but people do it anyway even when bags for their machines are not overly expensive.

Venson

mole

Reply #34   Apr 11, 2010 11:54 am
Hi Venson,

There are many brands that still can be fitted with a cloth shake out bag, Sanitaire uprights come standard with the shake ouit bag and can be oredered with the top load paper bag conversion.The old electrolux/aerus brand cans can also be fitted with the shake out bag only sold for demo purposes [yeah right].

Model XXX cloth bags are still available, Compact  tri star also,even the old euerka 900 canister cloth bags can be found.I find it interesting that some euro brands are tinkering around with saran braided hoses again.

Hows mieles bottom end machines selling? From what i can gather the miele dealers are getting a little disgruntled with the brand and are converting over to Riccar.

The dyson repair business shall we say is picking up.[because of lack there of]

The central vac market other than service and parts have fallen way off. over 50 %.

regard

MOLE

Replies: 25 - 34 of 62Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42