Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Visit to Best Buy and another local vac retailer

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

Visit to Best Buy and another local vac retailer
Original Message   Apr 7, 2010 11:38 am
I recently visited a local vac shop, not the one run by a close friend. We discussed Dyson and other brands. He maintains that Dyson WAYYY overestimated the cost of returns/warranty repairs when he invaded the US vac market, which is why the Dysons were given a 5 yr warranty. He said Dyson, despite rumors to the contrary, is making money hand over fist, and show no sign of slowing down. Even though the hose is excluded as a warranty part, Dyson is issuing repair authorizations for them. He also said he is selling Dyson dirt canisters, cords, roller brushes, and hoses like there is no tomorrow.  He said Dyson is ready to cut prices when necessary to boost flagging sales.  The DC-07 will make a reappearance at  $299 or lower when the time is right.

I stopped by Best Buy to purchase a memory card  for my camera, and wandered down the vac aisle, of course. 33 full size vacuums on display. THREE bagged machines, all uprights. Other than Dyson, only ONE canister, a Dirt Devil straight suction. Dyson had on display three cans and four uprights, over 20% of the vac sku offerings!  There are new and interesting things in the vac shops, but nothing has changed at BBR where most of America buys their vacuums.  According to him, Panasonic has lost the contract to build Sears canisters.
All of this is, of course, excellent news for Kirby.
This message was modified Apr 7, 2010 by Trebor
Replies: 10 - 19 of 62Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Visit to Best Buy and another local vac retailer
Reply #10   Apr 8, 2010 1:32 pm
Severus wrote:

If would be really nice if Dyson could find a way to build/assemble some of his vacuums in the US, since this is one of his biggest markets. 

Hi SEVERUS:

With Sir James' popularity in the UK waning year over year as a result of his move from the UK to Malaysia in 2001, any move to the USA, ever so slight, would be even worse for him in the eyes of the Brits.  He would have to resign his commission as tech czar.

Carmine D.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #11   Apr 8, 2010 1:59 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi SEVERUS:

With Sir James' popularity in the UK waning year over year as a result of his move from the UK to Malaysia in 2001, any move to the USA, ever so slight, would be even worse for him in the eyes of the Brits.  He would have to resign his commission as tech czar.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

I'm relying on my recollection which may be rusty, but I thought James tried in vain to get permission to expand his factory in Britain, but government imposed obstacles made it nearly impossible.  In the US, there are cities/states that would give huge tax breaks to get them to build a factory. There are places that would bend over backwards to take care of any zoning or other issues.  Hardsell commented that Oreck chose Cookeville, TN partly due to generous tax incentives.   If would be fitting for Dyson to build a plant in Missouri and name it the Tom Gasko plant in honor of all that Tom has done to promote Dyson over the years. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #12   Apr 8, 2010 2:21 pm
Severus wrote:
Carmine,

I'm relying on my recollection which may be rusty, but I thought James tried in vain to get permission to expand his factory in Britain, but government imposed obstacles made it nearly impossible.  In the US, there are cities/states that would give huge tax breaks to get them to build a factory. There are places that would bend over backwards to take care of any zoning or other issues.  Hardsell commented that Oreck chose Cookeville, TN partly due to generous tax incentives.   If would be fitting for Dyson to build a plant in Missouri and name it the Tom Gasko plant in honor of all that Tom has done to promote Dyson over the years. 

Hi SEVERUS;

You may be confusing the Sir James Dyson Engineer HS proposed in 2006 with the dyson production move to Malaysia in 2001.  UK authorities were against the former [school] and for the latter [expanding production in the UK].  Sir James moved vacuum plant production to Malaysia in 2001 due to the labor cost savings.  30 percent labor savings by dyson estimates versus expanding/building new plant in the UK.  Since he was going worldwide with his vacuums, the cost savings was the clincher for Sir James.  Some in the UK will say boldly that British authorities deliberately nixed the dyson proposed site for the Engineering HS in part because Sir James outsourced dysons to Malaysia in 2001.  I think the argument has merit. 

I once said in a post that Tom Gasko is like a dog in heat.  He goes after the latest around.  First, it was him and Rainbow.  Then, it was him and Air Way, which did name a model for him.  Then, it was him, Sir James and dyson.  Now, Tom has a business relationship with RICCAR, after it dumped him when he became a james dyson cult follower.  With the exception of his last business choice, which is his smartest he made, all the others were futile.  He was wrong when he said dyson would force out all other brands in the USA like it did in the UK.  Neither is true.  In contrast all vacuum makers have flourished since the entrance of dyson to the market, capitalizing on the bagless fad.  Most profitable of these brands from a big box store sales venue, which is dyson's sales venue of choice, are those vacuum makers that offer bag and bagless models in concert.  Dyson missed the boat.  It shut out all bagged models thinking, like Tom, that bagged vacuums would go the way of the horse and carriage after dyson launched in the USA.  Again, he and Sir James were wrong.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #13   Apr 8, 2010 4:37 pm
Severus wrote:
Carmine,

CarmineD wrote:
Hi SEVERUS;

You may be confusing the Sir James Dyson Engineer HS proposed in 2006 with the dyson production move to Malaysia in 2001.  UK authorities were against the former [school] and for the latter [expanding production in the UK].  Sir James moved vacuum plant production to Malaysia in 2001 due to the labor cost savings.  30 percent labor savings by dyson estimates versus expanding/building new plant in the UK.  Since he was going worldwide with his vacuums, the cost savings was the clincher for Sir James.  Some in the UK will say boldly that British authorities deliberately nixed the dyson proposed site for the Engineering HS in part because Sir James outsourced dysons to Malaysia in 2001.  I think the argument has merit. 

I once said in a post that Tom Gasko is like a dog in heat.  He goes after the latest around.  First, it was him and Rainbow.  Then, it was him and Air Way, which did name a model for him.  Then, it was him, Sir James and dyson.  Now, Tom has a business relationship with RICCAR, after it dumped him when he became a james dyson cult follower.  With the exception of his last business choice, which is his smartest he made, all the others were futile.  He was wrong when he said dyson would force out all other brands in the USA like it did in the UK.  Neither is true.  In contrast all vacuum makers have flourished since the entrance of dyson to the market, capitalizing on the bagless fad.  Most profitable of these brands from a big box store sales venue, which is dyson's sales venue of choice, are those vacuum makers that offer bag and bagless models in concert.  Dyson missed the boat.  It shut out all bagged models thinking, like Tom, that bagged vacuums would go the way of the horse and carriage after dyson launched in the USA.  Again, he and Sir James were wrong.

Carmine D.

Hey Bird Brain,

Slow day for you and Boy Blunder (Venson, who’s not Severus )?  Sir James’ ideas being life-changers and industry-changers and Tom Gasko predicting the market (conversion to Dyson-like filtration) is not your problem.  The fact that you never did anything meaningful with your so-called Ivy League education is your problem.  I say you’re a frustrated tinker and never had enough smarts to make it beyond drilling a hole for the toggle switch on the Constellation.  Did you ever invent anything?  No.  Did you ever make it past a hole-in-the-wall operation?  No.  Did you ever make it past part swapper’?  No.  And on and on.

Dyson Invents Big

This message was modified Apr 8, 2010 by DysonInventsBig

HARDSELL

Reply #14   Apr 8, 2010 4:42 pm
CarmineD wrote:
A little testy HS?  If you are so satisfied with the brand, why didn't you buy another dyson to replace the old DC07 you sold?  Actions speak louder than words, even capitalized words. 

Like you, many of the US first time dyson buyers, don't buy another new dyson after the first experience.  It's estimated that less than 10 percent of dyson buyers are repeat new dyson buyers.  Hence, the reason its market share is down in the UK which is Sir James country of origin.  From a high of 43 percent of the vacuum market in 2005 to a low of the 20's now.  If the other new vacuum sales markets are the same as the UK, as we are always told by dyson fans here, the same is true: Market vacuum share is declining for new dyson sales across the board.  Niche seller.  Not main street USA.

Carmine D.

That punch drom Dyson still has you warped.  You have been told numerous times (including today) that I wanted to try other vacuum brands.  Noe has out performed the DC07 to date. 

Like me, many have returned Oreck and Hoovers.  Since you have all the facts regarding ups and downs why not share how many others are down in sales by percentage.  You can also tell us why Oreck has such a surplus (if you know).

CarmineD

Reply #15   Apr 8, 2010 7:34 pm
I'm flattered again that you Dib-stir and your quasi dyson poster friend here HS always make your posts about me rather than the thread.  You can't contradict me on the facts with any proof so you both resort to personal and professional attacks and diversions.  How's that working for you and dyson?  Not well.  Dyson is still losing vacuum sales and market share year over year to the competition which is beating your favorite brand out by all measures and all accounts, even in the UK.  Dyson is a niche vacuum product.  Not the mainstreet seller that you and others predicted.  Not that niche is a bad thing.  It's good as long as it's recognized and respected for what it is and not what it isn't and will never be. 

Carmine D. 

HARDSELL

Reply #16   Apr 8, 2010 8:05 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I'm flattered again that you Dib-stir and your quasi dyson poster friend here HS always make your posts about me rather than the thread.  You can't contradict me on the facts with any proof so you both resort to personal and professional attacks and diversions.  How's that working for you and dyson?  Not well.  Dyson is still losing vacuum sales and market share year over year to the competition which is beating your favorite brand out by all measures and all accounts, even in the UK.  Dyson is a niche vacuum product.  Not the mainstreet seller that you and others predicted.  Not that niche is a bad thing.  It's good as long as it's recognized and respected for what it is and not what it isn't and will never be. 

Carmine D. 

I never attacked you. Unless correcting your misleading statements about me is attacking.  I am not diverting any facts.  I simply corrected your implications as being fact.

Dyson has consistantly increased SOM over Oreck and Hoover since the intro of the DC07.  This may well be the banner year for big D.

My only prediction was that you were FOS about Hoover and that they would fall before Dyson.  You predicted about a half dozen Hoovers to be the demise of Dyson.  I knocked you on your rump just like Dyson did a few years back.

CarmineD

Reply #17   Apr 8, 2010 9:38 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I never attacked you. Unless correcting your misleading statements about me is attacking.  I am not diverting any facts.  I simply corrected your implications as being fact.

Dyson has consistantly increased SOM over Oreck and Hoover since the intro of the DC07.  This may well be the banner year for big D.

My only prediction was that you were FOS about Hoover and that they would fall before Dyson.  You predicted about a half dozen Hoovers to be the demise of Dyson.  I knocked you on your rump just like Dyson did a few years back.

HS:

As usual you are wrong again and I am right.  The latest HOOVER T1 series bagless upright for $129 not only ties with dyson's TOL DC28 selling for $600 in the latest Consumer Reports ratings but also wins the latest HSN buyers' survey as its number one rated bagless [over your favorite dyson].  I might add too that the HOOVER T1 series has a cordwinder, [dyson DC28 does not], a headlight [dyson DC28 does not] and receives better grades from CR for handling and lighter weight than dyson's DC28.  What dyson did in the past is irrelevant.  What it does in the future is speculation.  What it is and does now, or doesn't, is based on facts and is all that matters.  Except of course to you and Dib-stir who still are living in dyson's glory days of DC07.  BTW, the DC07 model, for all the good you claim it was, is discontinued.  For good cause.  It is and was a mediocre vacuum product at best.  No doubt the reason, in large part, you do not still own it.

Carmine D. 

HARDSELL

Reply #18   Apr 8, 2010 10:38 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

As usual you are wrong again and I am right.  The latest HOOVER T1 series bagless upright for $129 not only ties with dyson's TOL DC28 selling for $600 in the latest Consumer Reports ratings but also wins the latest HSN buyers' survey as its number one rated bagless [over your favorite dyson].  I might add too that the HOOVER T1 series has a cordwinder, [dyson DC28 does not], a headlight [dyson DC28 does not] and receives better grades from CR for handling and lighter weight than dyson's DC28.  What dyson did in the past is irrelevant.  What it does in the future is speculation.  What it is and does now, or doesn't, is based on facts and is all that matters.  Except of course to you and Dib-stir who still are living in dyson's glory days of DC07.  BTW, the DC07 model, for all the good you claim it was, is discontinued.  For good cause.  It is and was a mediocre vacuum product at best.  No doubt the reason, in large part, you do not still own it.

Carmine D. 

Who makes the T1?  Hint.  It ain't Hoover.

The DC07 is discontinued.  DYSON is still Dyson though.  Hoover is a name only and is not really Hoover that you boasted about.  Smoke that in your pipe for awhile. 

The relevant thing is that Dyson put a whooping on Hoover and HS put a whooping on carmine. 

We are all familiar with your statistics.  Er, I mean speculation.

You must have blisters on your rump from sliding across the canvas.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #19   Apr 9, 2010 1:36 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi SEVERUS;

Carmine D.

Although Tom Gasko used hyperbole in his predictions, some of his predictions have been pretty good.  Hoover, Bissell, Eureka, Kenmore, Panasonic, and Shark all offer dual cyclone type bagless filtration systems on at least one of their vacuum models.  Apparently, what's his name (steve keeler?) is making a fortune selling his bagless vacuum conversions for Kirby's.  Tom Gasko may have been wrong on some predictions, but his prediction that most major vacuum manufacturers would embrace Dyson style bagless filtration has been on target.   I am not in the vacuum business in any shape or form, so I have no inside information on sales, returns, refurbished machines and so forth.   There are a lot of fad products that don't last a year.  

You would think that if Dyson were truly doing well on sales, that they could provide find someone a little more knowledgeable on this forum to be their advocate than dustmite. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 10 - 19 of 62Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42