Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Electrolux Silverado Motor Replacement.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

Electrolux Silverado Motor Replacement.
Original Message   Mar 20, 2010 5:26 pm
Hi, I recenetly baught a used- and in good condition besides the motor - Electrolux Silverado. First I would just like to say DAMN these things are well made! I picked up the new-style wire reinforced hose with it as well as a SideKick I for TEN DOLLARS! The SideKick was $10, and the machine with the hose, wand setup, and decent-good condition powernozzle was $25. DAMN GOOD PRICE! There is a catch, however: The motor gives off a burning smell. I was aware of this before I baught it, but I think I can fix it, I just need to know HOW TO GET to the motor itself! Anybody know how?
Replies: 10 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Hertz

Re: Electrolux Silverado Motor Replacement.
Reply #10   Mar 27, 2010 1:18 pm
procare wrote:
Electrolux motors are not to be oiled in the way you described. One end has a sealed ball bearing that if there is a problem with it being dry and bad replace it. The other end where the carbon brushes are you take off the end cap and put oil in the felt and not spray in between the armature. Damage to the carbon brushes and the armature can occur.I have seen several machines that caught fire from people doing what you said you did.  Carbon Brushes also have softened up causing the brushes to go bad. Any number of things can go bad. In all the time Electrolux  has been out customers were told not to oil the motor. The cleaners had Ball Bearings in the majority of their cleaners. (37k-39k and 38kdd bearings) . I was a serviceman for Electrolux and know what I am talking about.       Oiling of vacuum cleaners was for Hoovers and Eureka and other uprights that used sleeve type bearings . They even showed customers where to oil them in their manuals. As cleaners got more powerful ball bearings became the norm with very few having sleeve bearings. Power heads have the sleeve bearings.

Procare

Well it shouldn't be a problem considering it was only a SMALL bit of LUBRICANT and I blew vast streams of air in there to try it out with my Heritage II Kirby, so there wasn't much lubricant in there left at all. It runs fine, no burning smell or smoking, so I'm nearly sure it wasn't affected (the motor) much at all :] Thanks for your concern though! :] Now I ask: Is it possible to buy post-motor filters for the Silverado or any metal machines? I know not officially, but aftermarket maybe? The thing that's impressive is that with these American-Made DVC aftermarket bas with "Genuine MicroFiltration" - there's virtually NO "vacuum smell" and the air blowing out is VERY clean smelling! I'm just curious if there are even any after market filters available?
Replies: 10 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42