Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?
Original Message   Dec 12, 2009 4:23 pm
Shark is going after the Dyson Ball pretty hard with the Navigator product.  It claims no loss of suction and claims its just as easy to maneuver as the Dyson Ball.  After acknowledging Dyson as the first to offer no loss of suction, they go for the throat.  They do a direct comparison to a Dyson Ball and state that they are equal in all ways (easy to maneuver, no loss of suction, 5 year warranty) but price.  For less than $200 you can get a Shark Navigator with a free steam cleaner thrown in to boot. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 65 - 74 of 157Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?
Reply #65   Mar 16, 2010 12:11 pm
Howdy all,

Just got back from browsing Costco.  The Shark's Navigator is there and priced at $150 which is just 5 bucks more than the store is asking for the rechargeable Hoover Platinum stick vac.  The Oreck combo -- upright and its portable vac -- is marked for $250.  The Dyson DC14, which hasn't been on the shelves for a while, is back and tagged at $400.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #66   Mar 16, 2010 12:43 pm
Venson wrote:
Howdy all,

Just got back from browsing Costco.  The Shark's Navigator is there and priced at $150 which is just 5 bucks more than the store is asking for the rechargeable Hoover Platinum stick vac.  The Oreck combo -- upright and its portable vac -- is marked for $250.  The Dyson DC14, which hasn't been on the shelves for a while, is back and tagged at $400.

Venson

Hello venson:

If the $400 pricetag doesn't come down to $300, these old and discontinued DC14 models will merely collect dust and never sell.  In large part, the reason these dyson dinosaurs are still around new and for sale.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 16, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #67   Mar 17, 2010 3:04 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello venson:

If the $400 pricetag doesn't come down to $300, these old and discontinued DC14 models will merely collect dust and never sell.  In large part, the reason these dyson dinosaurs are still around new and for sale.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

You know, I sort of stood there in Costco counting backwards on my fingers -- DC28, and so on and so on -- and got to thinking, why hasn't this model been turned over to Overstock.com even though they have plenty already.  There is such a thing as moving on.  From a consumer's perspective, these oldies almost negate the worth of the later Ball models I'm expected to be impressed by.  Again, business-wise, it seems oddly another "shoot yourself in the foot" example.

Is it up to Costco or Dyson to do the right thing by getting discontinued models off store shelves?

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #68   Mar 17, 2010 6:50 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

You know, I sort of stood there in Costco counting backwards on my fingers -- DC28, and so on and so on -- and got to thinking, why hasn't this model been turned over to Overstock.com even though they have plenty already.  There is such a thing as moving on.  From a consumer's perspective, these oldies almost negate the worth of the later Ball models I'm expected to be impressed by.  Again, business-wise, it seems oddly another "shoot yourself in the foot" example.

Is it up to Costco or Dyson to do the right thing by getting discontinued models off store shelves?

Venson

Hi Venson:

It's up to dyson but the problem is that these dysons came to light in the end of year inventory conducted by COSTCO.  They were warehoused and forgotten due to a conspicuous lack of sales in COSTCO stores and replaced with better vacuum movers.  Now, COSTCO has to do something with them to move them out.  Forget dyson MAP.  Doesn't apply to them.  If these dysons don't sell at $400, and we know they won't, they will continually get reduced in price until they do.  Does two for one sound enticing?  Just to take a page from toyota's latest sales strategy.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #69   Mar 17, 2010 6:02 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

It's up to dyson but the problem is that these dysons came to light in the end of year inventory conducted by COSTCO.  They were warehoused and forgotten due to a conspicuous lack of sales in COSTCO stores and replaced with better vacuum movers.  Now, COSTCO has to do something with them to move them out.  Forget dyson MAP.  Doesn't apply to them.  If these dysons don't sell at $400, and we know they won't, they will continually get reduced in price until they do.  Does two for one sound enticing?  Just to take a page from toyota's latest sales strategy.

Carmine D.

With the recent recalls from Honda and Nissan they may be offering super incentives to purchase also. 
CarmineD

Reply #70   Mar 17, 2010 6:23 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
With the recent recalls from Honda and Nissan they may be offering super incentives to purchase also. 

Competition is a wonderful thing for a buyers' market be it vacuums or other products.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #71   Mar 20, 2010 6:25 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
http://www.getprice.com.au/images/uploadimg/250_BimgVax%20V045.jpg

Here is the Vax V-045 Widetrack sold in the UK from 2003. I had one and it was lousy. Horrible noise and hose that you had to attach permanently to the back of the handle and a mesh covered over a paper pleated cone filter. Years later I was shocked when I discovered a tarted up model that Euro Shark sell called the Infinity NV. Now of course several years after that the next one up in the line up uses a slightly different body and guess what, the TTi inspired "no loss of suction filters." Ive a feeling that Euro-Shark are using TTi but don't quote me, for their ranges.

Add another like-a-like in the $120 price range from EUREKA-lux.  One in purple.  One is yellow.  Hope the new Chief Designer doesn't get wind of this and decide to sue for color copying.   

Carmine D.

Comfort Clean | 4239AZ

vacmanuk

Reply #72   Mar 21, 2010 9:32 am
At least the Eureka one is different with a proper hose. The one on the Vax (and currently Vax have them again on their POWER uprights) has to be attached at the back of the handle which forms part of the suction tube when the handle is taken out. Its when hair and stuff gets clogged at the handle that the hose on the Vax takes a fair bit to take off.
CarmineD

Reply #73   Mar 21, 2010 2:06 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
At least the Eureka one is different with a proper hose. The one on the Vax (and currently Vax have them again on their POWER uprights) has to be attached at the back of the handle which forms part of the suction tube when the handle is taken out. Its when hair and stuff gets clogged at the handle that the hose on the Vax takes a fair bit to take off.

Eureka 4700D Maxima Lightweight Upright Vacuum CleanerThe $70 Eureka-lux Maxima more resembles the VAX with the much longer hose which is a nuisance for some users.

Carmine D. 

vacmanuk

Reply #74   Mar 21, 2010 6:19 pm
Nope I have to disagree Carmine, that Eureka model is different. Here's the bagged version of the Vax Widetrack / Dirt Devil had it out in the UK last year.
Replies: 65 - 74 of 157Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42