Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
CarmineD

VDTA 2010
Original Message   Jan 8, 2010 8:43 am
Tho a couple of months away, the VDTA is slotted for Vegas this year AND central vacuum systems, tho relatively new venue to the vacuum trade organization, are getting increased emphasis.

Carmine D.

Replies: 12 - 21 of 63Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: VDTA 2010
Reply #12   Mar 15, 2010 1:32 pm
On a vote for most innovative product in the vacuum industry, iRobot's Rhomba robotic vacuums launched in October 2002 in the USA get my vote, hands down.  It wins Consumer Reports' best rating and grade for robotic vacuums, crushes all the competition in the field and sells at budget prices by all big box store venues in the USA.  I can't even think of a single brand/model that is even a distant second.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #13   Mar 15, 2010 5:23 pm
Severus, I'm surprised by your judgement using CR scores as the "almighty." Surely if you judge for yourself you'll know what you prefer when it comes to vacuums. CR scores and anything else shouldn't really come into it. After all CR for many years rated Kenmore models as being allergen free when it came to their HEPA systems. Yet, you can see Gerry "bloody" Rubin on you tube whip out his particle counter to show that the HEPA emissions aren't exactly true. Furthermore, of the reports I've read by them concerning the new Miele S7 upright, where models are only differentiated by the suction buttons/dials and a headlight, I'm highly sceptical that the two "different" models by Miele (which are effectively the same aside from suction buttons/headlight) seem to be better than the other. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUpQ1LbAzQA

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #14   Mar 15, 2010 6:48 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Severus, I'm surprised by your judgement using CR scores as the "almighty." Surely if you judge for yourself you'll know what you prefer when it comes to vacuums. CR scores and anything else shouldn't really come into it. After all CR for many years rated Kenmore models as being allergen free when it came to their HEPA systems. Yet, you can see Gerry "bloody" Rubin on you tube whip out his particle counter to show that the HEPA emissions aren't exactly true. Furthermore, of the reports I've read by them concerning the new Miele S7 upright, where models are only differentiated by the suction buttons/dials and a headlight, I'm highly sceptical that the two "different" models by Miele (which are effectively the same aside from suction buttons/headlight) seem to be better than the other. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUpQ1LbAzQA

Curiously, no vacuum has broken the 81 point ceiling to gain the "Excellent" designation in CR.  As for the Miele uprights, the difference in scores was very small - Twist (72), Bolero (71), and Jazz (70).   For whatever reason, the Jazz had a slightly lower air flow score.  It may mean that the higher scoring machines are barely in the higher category.   There is unit to unit variation with vacuum cleaners.  CR purchases multiple copies of each vacuum and averages the results.   They also replicate tests. The highest scoring Miele vacuum does not have the automatic suction control - so it's at its highest for cleaning.  It also doesn't have a HEPA filter, so the air flow may be slightly better.  The overall assessment of each of these vacuums is that they clean very well with great filtration, they're quiet, but the handling is the downfall.   The difference in scores is negligable.   The challenge to Dyson and others is to create a vacuum that cleans as well as a Miele upright, is quiet, with great filtration, but as easy to push around as an Oreck - or even better a roomba. 

Because CR publishes categorized scores, you could have 2 different vacuums with "excellent" emissions in which  one scores an 81 and the other scores 99.  both would appear to be the same, but the numeric scores that go into the overall score would be much different.   So can any vacuum manufacturer score more than 80 points?   

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
mole

Reply #15   Mar 15, 2010 9:10 pm
Severus wrote:
Dustmite,

There's no need for anyone to elaborate.   Your statements were dishonest and misleading.    Given that you only recognize "innovation" if it's associated with Dyson, you fail to recognize improvements and innovation in other brands.    Many of Dyson's "innovative features" are features that consumers do NOT want.  I think it was Mole who said something like: the Dyson Ball was Dyson's answer to a question that no one asked.    While you might consider the long hose built into the handle an innovative feature, I consider it to be a nuisance.  I like the Shark Navigator's tool set up a lot better.  And most Dyson vacuums, with the exception of the DC28, are mediocre at the vacuum's most important function - cleaning carpeting.  They Dyson Zorb was the highest priced and lowest scoring product for cleaning carpeting - is that innovation to you?

Innovative would be a fundamental change in how consumers vacuum.  One could argue that irobot is much more innovative than Dyson because they have fundamentally changed how some people operate a vacuum.   Dyson's major claim to fame is the dirt collection system.  While constant suction is notable, you pay a price in that Dyson requires you to get up and personal with the filth collected by the vacuum. 

Using Consumer Reports tests for comparative purposes, even with Dyson's supposed "innovations", they function no better than many vacuums costing less than 1/2 their price.   If and when Dyson creates a vacuum that scores "excellent" in the CR ratings (i.e. 81 to 100 - preferably 90/100 if I'm to be impressed), then I'll consider Dyson to be innovative.   Innovation only matters if it improves the quality of life of the end consumers.  While Dyson owners might save money on bags, they pay for it by having to empty a small dirt canister more frequently. 

Dyson has run its course in the USA , becoming just  another bagless vacuum, It was a good run piloted by the biggest and most expensive propaganda machine ever to hit the floor care industry.

Dont even hear about them much anymore.

I can hear Sir Jimmy snickering in the background boy americans are STUPID ...........

regards

mole
CarmineD

Reply #16   Mar 16, 2010 7:58 am
mole wrote:
Dyson has run its course in the USA , becoming just  another bagless vacuum, It was a good run piloted by the biggest and most expensive propaganda machine ever to hit the floor care industry.

Dont even hear about them much anymore.

I can hear Sir Jimmy snickering in the background boy americans are STUPID ...........

regards

mole

ALL retailers even James/dyson are lowering dyson prices.  It is quite common now to get discounts of at least 20 percent from advertised prices.  What was the dyson MAP?  10 percent?  Must be the new UK math.  20 percent has become less than 10 percent.  You know how that works.  In 1999 dyson bonuses were never paid because they are insulting and demeaning.  Then in 2009 they are paid for the same reasons.  

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #17   Mar 27, 2010 8:38 am
The lack of TV and newspaper news coverage on this year's vacuum trade convention is telling.  Supposedly estimated at 3500 attendees down from the norm in the past and probably well overstated this year.  There has been no mention of the vacuum convention this year.  In past years it was always a staple on and in the local news for one/more days.     

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #18   Apr 3, 2010 3:09 pm
For many the innovation is what the show is about but for most dealers attending it's the seminars that are the most valuable, myself included. I took away many great ideas and am anxious to implement them (once I get some additional cash flow...LOL). Random thoughts Simplicity will have their new AMERICAN made canisters available in a month or so. They will also have a powered hand tool available. I liked a lot. Their wet and dry carpet cleaning systems are VERY good ( I plan to invest in both) Sebo's new can is UGLY!!!!!! Has a huge bag but did I mention it looks UGLY! Dealers are not too keen on their new Multi-level-marketing scheme. Miele has already upped the Callisto to a larger more aggressive powerhead (now CR will like it) and will replace the Callisto w217 PH with the Libra (I believe), a canister in a nicer color, Red. The S2 gets a turbo unit in a dull boring grey. The T shaped hand turbo will be discontinued for an L shaped smaller unit. A Cat & Dog version of the S7 will be made available. Didn't get the whole story but a line of appliances will be available to vacuum dealers. Eureka Lux has a new higher priced line for dealers, 5 grand buying in and your assurance of commitment needed. It seems like it will just be added conflict in an already filled price point. The medium and lower priced machines will still be only offered to box stores and internet whores. So basically it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see they want YOU to commit to them yet they will cut your throat, profit margin and commitment to you. Where do I sign. Didn't get any time at Lindhaus but it seemed they had a nicely styled canister mock-up and a low priced Upright available. Good to see AMERICAN MADE bag maker DVC there. Panasonic really needs someone who actually knows something about their products. They are going to cheaper rollers
vacmanuk

Reply #19   Apr 3, 2010 5:33 pm
Sebo's new can? Is this a new canister vacuum that has never been seen before? Sebo USA have both the K and C series or is this a new one completely, Lucky?
Lucky1

Reply #20   Apr 5, 2010 12:23 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Sebo's new can? Is this a new canister vacuum that has never been seen before? Sebo USA have both the K and C series or is this a new one completely, Lucky?

Totally new.
vacmanuk

Reply #21   Apr 6, 2010 1:04 pm
Totally new? Under what model name? More details would be great here as well as appreciated. Sebo have already launched their K1 Eco on the market - 1500 watts compared to their usual 1800 watts/2100 watts in a brown colour (don't ask me why, some of the markets have the model name K1 "Cappuccino.")
Replies: 12 - 21 of 63Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42