Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Please help me choose a reasonable vacuum for a small home.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
skibler

Please help me choose a reasonable vacuum for a small home.
Original Message   Mar 11, 2010 3:02 pm
I live in a small two story house. I reckon it is around 1,000 square feet. Hardwood downstairs and carpet upstairs, with carpet on the stairs. There are two cats and a tiny dog. The shedding isn't terrible, but there are certainly some fur $#%* floating around a few days post-vacuum. The original vacuum here is an old $50 bagless upright. It is not motorized. Not surprisingly, it does not work very well. The extension hose is shorter than my arm, and it just pushes the dust around the rug downstairs! I am determined to have a vacuum that works well and doesn't fall apart. The $100-$200 things in Target, Sears, etc. are heavy and flimsy. They look like paper monsters. On the one hand I don't have a huge space to clean so the abuse will hopefully be minimal, but I also don't want to deal with some clunky thing falling apart on me. There is a local store here that sells and repairs vacuums exclusively. They have a great selection and were quite nice. I stopped by eager to buy something. The house is starting to look ratty! In my haste, I just bought the first thing that was recommended. I didn't try it (to the sales persons dismay). I came home with a Riccar Vibrance Classic "with Tools". $299. This thing is a beast, but it is a solid beast. I feel like I could run over it with my car and it would keep going. The immediate problem I noticed when I put it together in my small home is the ridiculous size. It didn't look so huge in the store. It is not easy to manoeuvre, and it is quite loud. If you turn on the carpet brush it yanks you forward. It literally pulls the rug off the floor! It is just too much! It is not a bad vacuum, but it is not right for this situation. Now I don't know what to do. I have to go back to the store with my tail between my legs and return it. Now I am leaning towards trying a canister vacuum. It seems like a much more manoeuvrable design. I end up using the hose on the upright half the time anyway. The Miele S2120 Olympus is the same price ($299), but does not have a motorized head (though, it can accept one if you replace the hose, apparently). I think I can live without a motorized head. It isn't like I have ever had one. To get one on a Miele I have to spend $500, which I just don't think I am willing to do. I am not cleaning a mansion. I am not rich. Advice is appreciated :).
This message was modified Mar 11, 2010 by skibler
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Venson

Re: Please help me choose a reasonable vacuum for a small home.
Reply #1   Mar 11, 2010 4:26 pm
Hiya skibler,

"I am not cleaning a mansion. I am not rich . . ."  Welcome to the club.

As you have a relatively good rapport with the folks where you bought the Vibrance, take it back and tell them the truth.  As for power nozzles, if you have no pets, kids or heavy traffic you may get along well enough without one if you carpeting is medioum to low height.  Personally, "be prepared" being the motto, I like having a canister vac with a power nozzle even if I don't have a lot carpeting to concern myself with.

Keeping expense in mind, Miele bags and filters are kind of pricey and you should be prepared for that should you invest in a model from that brand. I own two.  I don't believe that the Miele Olympus accommodate an electric power nozzle at all.  (Forget investing in the air turbine version.  It's not worth the money. )  It is my understanding that the Delphi, also in the S2 series does.  If you can take the Riccar back, I'd suggest making an offer of $375.00 for the Miele Delphi with power nozzle and see where it gets you.  Miele does have decent bags size, usually quiet operation and long warranties.

Though mine came with a bare floor tool along with the PN, I bought a straight suction carpet and bare floor combi tool for my Miele and use it quite often.  I have to say I am rather pleased with its performance and it serves me well.  Again, I have no kids, no beasts and am single.

Riccar makes a mid-size and compact canister which I have not used.  Check out the pricing on those too plus the cost of bags and filters.

Not meaning to forget -- whatever you buy be sure there's convenient and effective speed/suction adjustment if you're feeling more "pull" than you'd like.

Still keeping budget and overall worth in mind, my next thought is that you might try looking at all-metal rebuilt Electrolux canisters.  They clean decently and have a pretty good track record as regards endurance.  I've spent my share of time working around the house with a good used vac and had as much success as I've had with brand new.  The issue is sometimes not so much the machine but the care it's given.

Best of luck and lets us know what you decide on.

Venson

skibler

Reply #2   Mar 11, 2010 5:15 pm
Thank you Venson! And sorry about my first post, the forum seems to strip all my paragraph returns.

The people at the store were very nice and gave me no issues with the return.

I ended up getting the Miele Olympus. I actually took the time to try it out in the store! It seemed to work just as well on pile carpet as the model with the "Turbobrush". The suction control knob is a simple thing, but very helpful! It is all much more my speed, and what I originally had in mind.

The Miele bags were $18 for four with replacement filters, vs. $16 for six of the Riccar bags. The Miele bags are larger, and I think with the small space I am working with, I don't think bag cost is going to be a big deal.

Thanks again! Hopefully I won't need to think about buying another vacuum for some time to come!
Venson

Reply #3   Mar 11, 2010 5:35 pm
skibler wrote:
Thanks again! Hopefully I won't need to think about buying another vacuum for some time to come!

Hi skibler,

You're certainly welcome.  Enjoy the new vacuum.

Venson

hooverman

Reply #4   Mar 11, 2010 10:36 pm
A Eureka Mighty Mite is another good choice; for the value & features.  It uses a easy-change bag like the Lux & gets around obstacles really good; tho it lacks a power nozzle.
CarmineD

Reply #5   Mar 12, 2010 1:23 pm
Both brands and models [Riccar Vibrance with tools and MIELE S2 series Olympus] are excellent choices.  The preference is really with the buyer/user.  $299 certainly buys more value with either of these two models than $100-$200 and a big box store brand.  In fact any big box store brand costing more than $200.  Riccar and Miele are top shelf brands and the reason they are sold by independent vacuum cleaner stores nationwide.  Of importance too is the service and courtesy you received from your vacuum store owner/operator with your purchase, return and second purchase.  I probably would have recommended the upright Vibrance over the Olympus canister too as an industry professional [now retired].  But either and both are superb choices. 

The bag size/capacity of the Miele S2 Olympus is 4.76 quarts.  I suspect the Riccar Vibrance is very close in size if not larger.  But I don't know for sure the bag specs for the Vibance.

Enjoy your new Miele.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 12, 2010 by CarmineD
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42