Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Heading south . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Heading south . . .
Original Message   Feb 28, 2010 9:33 am
Surprising news . . . Electrolux USA is moving it's headquarters from Bloomington, Illinois, Eureka's stomping grounds since before even my father was born, to way down south. Destination? Charlotte, North Carolina.

The article also mentions Electrolux's move from Normal, Illinois in the year 2000 that cost 360 jobs. By the way, speaking of moving south -- as far as south of the border -- Electrolux is manufacturing vacuum cleaners in Juarez, Mexico.  Be sure to browse the reader comments.

Why doe this make me sad?

http://www.pjstar.com/business/x267281016/Electrolux-moving-HQ-from-Bloomington-to-NC

Venson

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Heading south . . .
Reply #1   Feb 28, 2010 6:17 pm
Hi Venson: 

Thanks for the article.  This may provide the reason, in large part.  Sad to say but in a bad economy with high unemployment, companies focused on the bottom line see an opportunity to lower employee union wages by locating to states that are non-union.  Not sure if this is the case but it may very well be.

Carmine D.

Map of Right to Work States

Trebor

Reply #2   Feb 28, 2010 7:20 pm
Carmine,

IN is what is known as an At Will employment state, in which any employer may discharge any employee for any reason, or for no reason at all, without notice, unless one is a union member, and all shops are open in IN, no one can be forced to join a union in IN.

Trebor
Trebor

Reply #3   Feb 28, 2010 7:22 pm
Sorry, I posted my reply in the wrong place. Venson, Aerus and Electrolux have been making parts in Mexico to be shipped across the border and assembled in El Paso, TX
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42