Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Think your Bagless Vac is Clean after you Clear the Bin?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Lucky1

Think your Bagless Vac is Clean after you Clear the Bin?
Original Message   Feb 25, 2010 4:18 pm
Shot this video with a Dyson and placed it on youtube. It might be of interest to those thinking of buying a bagless vacuum. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnad0yuASec
Replies: 1 - 10 of 15NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Think your Bagless Vac is Clean after you Clear the Bin?
Reply #1   Feb 25, 2010 5:22 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
Shot this video with a Dyson and placed it on youtube. It might be of interest to those thinking of buying a bagless vacuum. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnad0yuASec

Hi Lucky1,

First thing I want to know is where I can get the Miele apron.

Your demo depicts the deciding factor for me in regard to bagged versus vacuums in my household. When it comes to cleaning, it feels great to know you've done a good job. It's also equally great to know your cleaning tools are equally clean and/or easily cleanable.  Old school cleaning principles deem a dirty mop as bad as a dirty floor.

That is why I've become almost totally disinterested in bagless and water-type vacuums -- too much effort is needed to keep them clean. 

Thinking economically, I place great value on my time. Depite  the cost of disposable bags and filters, the few seconds it takes to remove a full disposable bag and replace it with a fresh one is far less a draw on time than the time it took to clean up either the Rainbow or the Kenmore Iridium bagless I owned. I made it a habit to frequently wash my Iridium's dust bin along with the pre-filter not just to assure best performance but because the bin really looks crappy it you don'y keep it clean.  Just dumping it out never lent to keeping it looking spiffy.

Back to bags, I get great cleaning, I get great filtration and dust containment and popping out and putting in a bag about once a month calls for just a minute of my time until the next time.

Venson

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #2   Feb 25, 2010 11:41 pm
This video shows shy bagless vacuums should be designed for wet cleaning.  The dust build up in the cyclones will eventually develop a stinky smell exhaust smell. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #3   Feb 26, 2010 10:01 am
Severus wrote:
This video shows shy bagless vacuums should be designed for wet cleaning.  The dust build up in the cyclones will eventually develop a stinky smell exhaust smell. 

Hi Severus,

I'd almost agree but would think that a bagless vacuum that can also do wet pick-up would have to be further designed to ensure user safety if it should over fill or be tilted past a certain degree. 

To my mind, it would be best if bagless were still designed for dry pick-up but  had internal airways that were treated with teflon or some other anti-adherence substance that would allow them to be easily flushed out at a sink with plain water.  This would also mean rethinking design by making dust collection and filtration components -- cyclonic chambers, shrouds and collection bins --  conveniently sized and easy to separate and assemble again for faster, easier drying.  For those who don't mind, even dishwasher safe plastics for these parts might  simplify matters of maintenance. 

As for odors, several years back, LG the maker of the bagless vacuum my Kenmore Iridium was cloned from used plastic within which nano-silver was embedded for the collection bins of certain bagless vacuum models.  The nano-silver is claimed to be anti-bacterial.  I also recall that the same substance has been used in certain food storage containers for the same purpose and has also been claimed to widen the use-window of fruits and vegetables once home from the store.

http://www.nanobiosilver.com/applications.html

Venson

Lucky1

Reply #4   Feb 26, 2010 11:44 am
The idea of washing, further contradicts the pervasive opinion that Bagless vacuums are maintenance free. Customers buy it thinking there is no further cost and no maintenance worries. The crowd that is buying a bagless (note: on purpose in deference to many who are buying because thats ALL they are given the choice to buy) would best be suited to be sold a disposable vacuum...use it, fill it and throw it out. LOL
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #5   Feb 26, 2010 2:08 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Severus,

I'd almost agree but would think that a bagless vacuum that can also do wet pick-up would have to be further designed to ensure user safety if it should over fill or be tilted past a certain degree. 

To my mind, it would be best if bagless were still designed for dry pick-up but  had internal airways that were treated with teflon or some other anti-adherence substance that would allow them to be easily flushed out at a sink with plain water.  This would also mean rethinking design by making dust collection and filtration components -- cyclonic chambers, shrouds and collection bins --  conveniently sized and easy to separate and assemble again for faster, easier drying.  For those who don't mind, even dishwasher safe plastics for these parts might  simplify matters of maintenance. 

As for odors, several years back, LG the maker of the bagless vacuum my Kenmore Iridium was cloned from used plastic within which nano-silver was embedded for the collection bins of certain bagless vacuum models.  The nano-silver is claimed to be anti-bacterial.  I also recall that the same substance has been used in certain food storage containers for the same purpose and has also been claimed to widen the use-window of fruits and vegetables once home from the store.

http://www.nanobiosilver.com/applications.html

Venson

In my haste i was sloppy earlier.  I intended to say that the bin, shroud, etc., should be designed so that it can be cleaned at regular intervals.   I may be mistaken, but I believe the great Dyson enthusiast Tom Gasko once said that he cleaned his dyson dirt container - shroud and all.  He could likely provide some insight into how to do it without doing any damage to the rubber seals. 

Unless the dirt builds up a bad odor, I'm not convinced that it's a problem.  I'm sure that there's dirt in the hoses/dirt pathes of all vacuums.  Some of the better vacuum makers provide carbon filters and other methods to hide the smells.  Rainbow is likely one of the best for getting rid of the musty smell, and you can buy the water perfumes. 

Perhaps Dyson can develop a dry powder that you can pick up with your dyson that does something like "sandblasting" away the dirt. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #6   Feb 26, 2010 4:31 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
The idea of washing, further contradicts the pervasive opinion that Bagless vacuums are maintenance free. Customers buy it thinking there is no further cost and no maintenance worries. The crowd that is buying a bagless (note: on purpose in deference to many who are buying because thats ALL they are given the choice to buy) would best be suited to be sold a disposable vacuum...use it, fill it and throw it out. LOL

Hi Lucky1,

I thoroughly agree as to many shoppers believing all their problems have been solved with the purchase of a bagless vac. Yet, I can't get a handle on how some people have slipped into suspended reality.  How anyone can believe you can buy a vacuum that you don't have to take care of is pure indulgence in fantasy.  What goes up still has to come down some time and there are no free rides.

I didn't mean to infer that a bagless vac be washed out with each use but, instead, be given a good cleaning when its obvious that a lot of residual dust has gathered on its essential components.  The clear bin on my Iridium made it impossible not to see dirt build-up in its airpaths after several uses and I'd find myself getting sick of looking at it. To its credit, the machine cleaned and filter quite well as long as the little tubes around the bin wall were kept clean and debris wasn't allowed gather and build up in the shroud area.

Since consumers are showing less and less desire to be concerned with maintenance, a disposable vacuum cleaner just like toss-away cameras and razors might not be a bad idea.  However, ecologically, we can't take the heat any longer. We're up to our ears by way of the fallout from disposable items.

Venson

Severus

Reply #7   Feb 26, 2010 5:22 pm
I guess it would be interesting to see how much dirt you could blow out of a central vacuum hose.  Dirt sticks to the blades of ceiling fans, and pretty much everything. 

vacmanuk

Reply #8   Feb 26, 2010 6:54 pm
In the late 1990s when Hoover UK first launched their first series "Cyclean," and "Hurricane," bagless uprights, the company ironically made see through food bag type dust bags that could line the actual dust bins. It made no sense having to buy them when the idea of a bagless vac rules out bags. Needless to say the bags weren't a good seller.
vacmanuk

Reply #9   Feb 26, 2010 7:02 pm
Also if that video on you tube had been done in a darkened room or something with light paper behind it, you'd get a better chance to see what's actually on the shrouds.
CarmineD

Reply #10   Feb 27, 2010 7:29 am
Severus wrote:
I guess it would be interesting to see how much dirt you could blow out of a central vacuum hose.  Dirt sticks to the blades of ceiling fans, and pretty much everything. 

Hi SEVERUS:

Not the same analogy.  At worse, if the build up of dirt in the hose is a concern, and I doubt it is unless there is a clog that can't be fixed, you buy another hose and start over brand new again.  What do you do with build up in the cyclones?  Buy new cyclone assemblies regularly?  I suppose so.  I suspect hose dirt doesn't affect suction power unless a clog develops.  This requires introduction of a foreign object like a nail, hair pin, clip, sock etc in addition to dirt.  Not true with cyclones and normal and gradual dirt build up.  Never clogs, never loses suction?  Now just a mere marketing myth.

The dirt build up on most surfaces can be vacuumed up.  Not so with closed and sealed cyclones.  You have to blow them out regularly.  Air and breath pollution.  I suspect the MIELE draped mechanic in the video was/should have been using a commercial grade face mask.  Lucky not to be cited and fined for air pollution [no pun intended].  All the blowing in the world never ever gets cyclones clean and completely dirt free.  The more in operation, the more the dirt build up.  Bagless is bogus. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 27, 2010 by CarmineD
Replies: 1 - 10 of 15NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42