Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Britain's only vacuum cleaner museum . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Britain's only vacuum cleaner museum . . .
Original Message   Feb 10, 2010 6:10 am
Following is a link to an article about Britain's first vacuum cleaner museum.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/nottingham/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8501000/8501047.stm

Venson

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Britain's only vacuum cleaner museum . . .
Reply #1   Feb 10, 2010 3:38 pm
How fascinating Venson! Thanks for posting that!
Motorhead

Reply #2   Feb 10, 2010 4:57 pm
The pictures really don't do it justice, I've seen some of Mr. Brown's collection on another site and he has some AMAZING examples of early C and R-series Kirbys.  Why they are not shown here is beyond me.

Interesting how Britain's first vacuum cleaner museum comes only ~6 months after the Tacony Museum opened here, perhaps they looked at that one as a model and realized the potential for success?  I wonder if you can demonstrate those there as well, like you can with all 500+ cleaners here in several different rooms, each with several different piles of carpet.  Probably the only place where you can vacuum up Rice Krispies off of a vintage oriental rug with the 1914 Hoover Old Style Special.
Motorhead

Reply #3   Feb 10, 2010 4:58 pm
The pictures really don't do it justice, I've seen some of Mr. Brown's collection on another site and he has some AMAZING examples of early C and R-series Kirbys.  Why they are not shown here is beyond me.

Interesting how Britain's first vacuum cleaner museum comes only ~6 months after the Tacony Museum opened here, perhaps they looked at that one as a model and realized the potential for success?  I wonder if you can demonstrate those there as well, like you can with all 500+ cleaners here in several different rooms, each with several different piles of carpet.  Probably the only place where you can vacuum up Rice Krispies off of a vintage oriental rug with the 1914 Hoover Old Style Special.
This message was modified Feb 10, 2010 by Motorhead
CarmineD

Reply #4   Feb 12, 2010 8:50 am
Hello Venson:

Verrry interesting, thanks for posting.  The UK funded this vacuum museum thru a gov't grant.  By comparison, the Smithsonian in Washington DC has fallen on such hard times it says 'no' to any additions of old vacuum products to its museums, despite their condition.  Of note too, the young curator/caretaker of these UK/American vacuum treasures also repairs vacuums according to the store front sign.  Nice to do the thing you love and have the gov't spring for a part of the cost.  Win-win situation.  Tho, with the hardtimes even bankruptcy befalling some countries in the EU today with more to come no doubt, I suspect all future UK vacuum grants will be few and far between.  The curator/caretaker's timing for the grant was impeccable, to his credit. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42