Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Help us design a better handheld vacuum

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
inno1

Help us design a better handheld vacuum
Original Message   Feb 4, 2010 11:53 pm
We are engineers at the University of Michigan and are designing a handheld vacuum for our design project. We would like you to take this survey to help us understand what consumers want in a portable vacuum. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is the link:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHNJYXdwZHNPUUpnTEZkUWRNNU1BZUE6MA ,

Edit: specified portable vacuum as handheld vacuum
This message was modified Feb 5, 2010 by inno1
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Help us design a better handheld vacuum
Reply #3   Feb 5, 2010 2:17 pm
inno1 wrote:
We are engineers at the University of Michigan and are designing a handheld vacuum for our design project. We would like you to take this survey to help us understand what consumers want in a portable vacuum. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is the link:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHNJYXdwZHNPUUpnTEZkUWRNNU1BZUE6MA ,

Edit: specified portable vacuum as handheld vacuum

Thanks inno1.  This provides a clearer idea of what you're going for.

If a long lasting rechargeable battery (ideally one that at least would supply 30 minutes of effective run-time) could be developed for handheld vacs I'd welcome it.  Easy dumping and washable foam filters meant to last the life of the vacuum would also be a plus.

Has your group checked out the Hoover Platinum series rechargeables http://www.hoover.com/productcategory.aspx?use=46&ds=false

or the Black & Decker Flex? https://www.buyflexvac.com/Default.aspx?WT.mc_id=BDHomePageBannerFlex&TargetOffer=gettheflex

Personally, I much prefer corded hand and stick vacs as they allow me to keep going.

Venson

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #4   Feb 5, 2010 2:20 pm
Let's assume for the sake of argument that Dustmite (aka Dyson Invents Big) is correct - that the Dyson handheld is standard bearer for handhelds.   Dustmite tells us that the Dyson has the best suction, and the suction is supposed to be constant. 

The design flaws of the Dyson are many - heavy, noisy, short use time (batter lasts about 5 minutes).    The shape makes it awkward to hold (like a paint sprayer).  I won't even get started on the price. 

I like that you have an option of attaching a turbo brush to the Dyson to make it more useful for cleaning carpeting.

I'd like to add a cord which would reduce the weight (by dropping the batteries) and it would also give unlimited run time.  

Designing a handheld is kind of tough because you kind of have to know how it will be used.  Some have rotating brushes that make them better for cleaning up pet hair.  Some rely on suction only.  Some send the debris through the fan, some use a bypass design to avoid damage from gravel and other objects. 

http://www.consumersearch.com/handheld-vacuums

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #5   Feb 5, 2010 2:53 pm
Severus wrote:
Let's assume for the sake of argument that Dustmite (aka Dyson Invents Big) is correct - that the Dyson handheld is standard bearer for handhelds.   Dustmite tells us that the Dyson has the best suction, and the suction is supposed to be constant. 

The design flaws of the Dyson are many - heavy, noisy, short use time (batter lasts about 5 minutes).    The shape makes it awkward to hold (like a paint sprayer).  I won't even get started on the price. 

I like that you have an option of attaching a turbo brush to the Dyson to make it more useful for cleaning carpeting.

I'd like to add a cord which would reduce the weight (by dropping the batteries) and it would also give unlimited run time.  

Designing a handheld is kind of tough because you kind of have to know how it will be used.  Some have rotating brushes that make them better for cleaning up pet hair.  Some rely on suction only.  Some send the debris through the fan, some use a bypass design to avoid damage from gravel and other objects. 

http://www.consumersearch.com/handheld-vacuums

Hi Severus,

Shark has been supplying a rechargeable with a motorized head option for quite some time.  http://www.sharkclean.com/cgi-bin/livew/site.w?location=b2c/retail-gateway.w&prodcat=01&feature=cat&frames=no&target=main&sponsor=000001

The models are cheaper and also more like the preferred "dustbuster" style.  Suction for any of these devices can never be a real issue until one that can actually come near matching the power of a household vac has been developed.  That one can sucessfully get up light soiling without a lot of to-do is enough.  In the test that I've seen, Dyson and B&D came out about the same leaving price as the greater determiner in regard to which I'd buy.

As it stands, since my favorite landlord has put electrical outlets in the garage I rent I can leave one of my old regular vacuum there and clean longer and better.

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #6   Feb 7, 2010 5:36 pm
Personally I like two different kinds of hand vacuums - the cordless type where quick picks up can be done and corded ones for more sustaining power . I've always admired the old Dirt Devil Handy vac. It's old fashioned but it works superbly well and you can use paper bags if you don't like the idea of shaking the dust out the cloth bag at the back. More modern versions such as the Electrolux Stair & Car vac have a built in hose at the back for extra versatility:

http://www.electrolux.co.uk/node37.aspx?categoryid=13655
Venson

Reply #7   Feb 9, 2010 10:50 am
While the subject is open . . . does anyone here have knowledge of any great hindrances in making a cord/cordless handheld?

If my electric shaver can be used with or without a cord plus be plugged in just about anywhere in the world without an external power adapter, why is this technology being excluded from most rechargeable handheld and stick vacs? It certainly couldn't make many more expensive than they already are.

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #8   Feb 9, 2010 12:44 pm
I cant quite remember but I'm sure Black and Decker had one of those hand helds out in the 1980s that had mains AND battery cordless power back up. Talking of cordless, Miele have just launched their new vacuum. See other link on here where latest vacuums are concerned.
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #9   Feb 10, 2010 10:21 am
vacmanuk wrote:
I cant quite remember but I'm sure Black and Decker had one of those hand helds out in the 1980s that had mains AND battery cordless power back up. Talking of cordless, Miele have just launched their new vacuum. See other link on here where latest vacuums are concerned.

The Miele is certainly a clever design.  I wonder how much weight the battery adds to the Miele canister compared to a comparable machine without the battery capabilities.  Is the bag compartment smaller?   In other words, what sacrifices if any were made to add the cordless option to the Miele?     

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #10   Feb 10, 2010 12:19 pm
Severus wrote:
The Miele is certainly a clever design.  I wonder how much weight the battery adds to the Miele canister compared to a comparable machine without the battery capabilities.  Is the bag compartment smaller?   In other words, what sacrifices if any were made to add the cordless option to the Miele?     

Hi Serverus,

I'm curious too.  I checked out the Miele UK website and they appear to be being a bit closed mouth regarding some specs until the cleaner's official release date this March.  The following -- www.miele.co.uk/hybrid leads to webpage that let's you sign up for a drawing that will award about three people the new "Hybrid".  I did.  It's not that I could use a a 220-volt vacuum, I'd just like to win something.

An article about the pre-launch may be helpful.  Both my gizmos are going wiggy on me and I'm having problems with videos so I can't view them.

http://dustfluffgrit.blogspot.com/2010/01/exclusive-miele-hybrid-s4812-and-eco.html

One thing revealed is that this vacuum functions on up to 1800 (off 220 volts) when plugged in and 600 watts when used in cordless mode.  The lesser wattage should still be fine for cordless duty.  Per the article re the pre-launch the writer implies that the machine is heavier but not overly so.  Also, as the machine is considered part of the S4 series I am assuming the bag size remains the same.

And guess what. . .  the introductory price will be £499 -- almost $780 American -- which leaves me not too far off my guesstimate of $800 if sold here.

vacmanuk

Reply #11   Feb 10, 2010 3:37 pm
The Miele Hybrid is just a basic spec S4 with a battery pack underneath. It therefore uses the same 3.5/4 litre FJM bags as the current range.
Trebor

Reply #12   Feb 28, 2010 12:10 am
For the purposes of this discussion, I am considering only corded units.

Handheld vacuums basically come in two types, mini canister, and mini upright. The mini canister would be like the Oreck 'Buster B' as it used to be called. The mini-upright would be like the old Royal Dirt devil.

Dirt Devil makes a pretty nifty bagless revolving brush hand vac. They used to make a bagless two motor design, with a detachable power nozzle and built in hose, don't know if they still do.

Have you looked at the L'il Sucker, by Buckeye?

Hamilton Beach made a great one in the 60's. It was a hefyt hand held vac with attachments (no hose, oddly enough) included a floor tool and a detachable handle.

Panasonic made one called the A.R.M. (all reach module, I think is what it stood for)

The Sebo Felix is pushing the envelope for weight, but it is basically a hand vac on steroids, with a power head.

Is your design to be an all purpose vac for a small apartment with little to no carpet?

Is it to complement a full size upright or canister vacuum?

I think a vacuum to deep clean stair carpet, upholstery, and vehicles would be the nuts, and call it, the S.U.V. Two motor system, with a power head usable either directly on the unit, or on a short hose, a long handle which collapses into the body of the unit. When extended, it could allow the unit to be pushed around as a stick vac. Unless you are going for a beefier unit, avoid carpet vacuuming, except for stairs and vehicles., not even straight suction. and for bare floors, the nozzle should be no wider than 9 inches. A small unit cannot provide enough power to make a wider brush effective.

Have you talked to Tom Gasko? He is the museum curator at Tacony's manufacturing facility in St. James, MO.  If you don't know what has been done before, you don't know what has already been tried, and so what works, and what doesn't .
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42