Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Licensed Repair???

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Licensed Repair???
Original Message   Feb 3, 2010 3:13 pm
Hi,

I was speaking with a friend today.  He's very familiar wth the vacuum industry and cited many issues -- inexperiencce, bad repair jobs, even possible sabotage for gain. -- as good call for licensed vacuum repair persons.   I'd think especially so for high-end, or do I just mean high-priced, vacuums.

A good point being that if you can't install a high-voltage central vac without using a trained electrician why should the consumer have to put faith in the undocumented training of a repair establishment's personnel.  Vacuum repairs after warranty end are getting pricey.

What do you think?  Send the vac to someone who claims to have the knack OR to someone who has credentials?

Venson

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Re: Licensed Repair???
Reply #1   Feb 3, 2010 6:04 pm
I would hesitate to impose an additional cost of licensing on store owners.   I'm not in the business, but I would assume that  you have to have some basic competencies in order to be an authorized repair center.   The market place helps to eliminate incompetents.   If you want to repair Dyson's, then Dyson ought to provide you with some training and verify that you have basic competencies.  If you want to repair Miele products, then you need to have some training from Miele.   The high end/high dollar companies certainly have the money to ensure that authorized repair stores are well trained.

If I were a certified vacuum repair technician for the ABC vacuum company, I would certainly post my training credentials for all to see. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
mole

Reply #2   Feb 3, 2010 8:03 pm
Hi Venson  and Severus.

You both make good  points.

Severus do you believe that the market sets the tone for quality and competent repairs?

Most authorized dealers That represent the high end  products should be required to have factory trained personal such as the ASA in the automotive industry.

I would certainly would want an experienced person working on My 1000.00 plus vacuum cleaner,

Yes there is a lot of room for improvement at  65% of the indys and i feel like i am being kind at that %.

regards

MOLE

P.S. liability insurance is a must, and all dealers should have it, Although its just and endless money pit........
Lucky1

Reply #3   Feb 4, 2010 5:13 pm
I'd rather see a license for incompetent Box Store Retailers and Internet Salesmen! LOL Most of this is not rocket science. It would add to the cost It would be a boon for disposable vacuums and add to landfills
procare

Reply #4   Feb 5, 2010 9:00 pm
Venson,

I have been trained to repair vacuum cleaners. I was started at age 9 and when the company trainer came in from the company to train me, at age 37, as branch manager, I was teaching him in the end. I work with electrical motors,but I don't have to be an electrician to do it.  An electrician is licensed and trained to put in electrical systems in a home. If I wired a house and made an error I would be sued and it would cost me big time. An electrician not trained to do vacuum cleaner repair would not make it in this service end of the industry. Several electricians told their wives they could fix their cleaner in my area and ended up seeing me to fix the cleaner. Talk of a license has been around for some time now but it was determined at least in my area that the cost to have a staff to test and train would cost to much.

In a big box store no qualified people that truly know vacuums are hired. They( the sales people ) are not trained to know vacuums but to use their sales skill to make their commision. The higher price cleaner the more they make. I speak of Best Buy, Sears, ,H.H.Gregg and others.

Ther are, as you say ,people that don't know what they are doing and end up hurting the good vacuum repairman's  rep but it doesn't last long because customers pass the word around about how good you are.

Procare

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42