Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?
Original Message   Dec 12, 2009 4:23 pm
Shark is going after the Dyson Ball pretty hard with the Navigator product.  It claims no loss of suction and claims its just as easy to maneuver as the Dyson Ball.  After acknowledging Dyson as the first to offer no loss of suction, they go for the throat.  They do a direct comparison to a Dyson Ball and state that they are equal in all ways (easy to maneuver, no loss of suction, 5 year warranty) but price.  For less than $200 you can get a Shark Navigator with a free steam cleaner thrown in to boot. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 51 - 60 of 157Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?
Reply #51   Dec 25, 2009 8:31 pm
The Five Gadget Show in the UK is an independent company so the test carried out - I think - isn't as variable as the one they showed. It was after all a short presentation to see which out of the three vacs tested picked up and remained the most versatile. Hoover's awful Slalom (I had one!) seemed to agree with what I initially didnt like about it - tools and mechanisms that dont quite work making it time consuming. I was really surprised about the so-called Electrolux Professional. I thought they would have gone with the Sebo inspired design and fitted a motor drive belt, but no it runs on old fashioned rubber belts and you have to manually change the height setting of the brush bar. Im not that surprised that it didn't do too well on the pick up test though - the brush roll seemed to be at odds with its general design and I think the strips are replaceable.
CarmineD

Reply #52   Dec 26, 2009 3:27 pm
Happened to be in the local KOHL's and stopped by the vacuum aisle to scope out the Navigator.  Only one available was the display.  Apparently the store had a run on them for the Christmas holidays.  Talked with staff there and appranetly the lightweight and price are pluses with the buyers.

Carmine D.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #53   Dec 26, 2009 11:24 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Happened to be in the local KOHL's and stopped by the vacuum aisle to scope out the Navigator.  Only one available was the display.  Apparently the store had a run on them for the Christmas holidays.  Talked with staff there and appranetly the lightweight and price are pluses with the buyers.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

I'm not surprised.   If you can get Dyson like performance for 1/3 the price, it makes an attractive purchase.  I like the simple cleaning hose for attachments too.

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #54   Dec 27, 2009 6:39 am
Severus wrote:
Carmine,

I'm not surprised.   If you can get Dyson like performance for 1/3 the price, it makes an attractive purchase.  I like the simple cleaning hose for attachments too.

SEVERUS:

Perhaps most vacuum consumers, even big box store shoppers/buyers, are smarter than some vacuum makers/their marketeers realize.  Abe Lincoln was right when he said:  You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #55   Jan 2, 2010 8:45 am
Another new Shark product at KOHL's stores.  Looks impressive.  Good price.  Cordless.  2 battery packs: one for use and one for back-up.  Revolving brush for carpets.  Bagless venue is perfect for stick/hand vacuum usage. 

Carmine D.

Shark™ VX93 2-in-1 StickVac Cordless Vacuum
regular $114.99
sale $99.99

Keep all the floors in your home spotless. From bare floors to hard-to-reach areas, this Shark 2-in-1 StickVac has you covered.

• Lightweight, multipurpose design converts from a stick vacuum to a hand vacuum for versatile use.
  • Two-speed motorized brush roll and powerful suction provide use on bare floors or carpets.
  • Two removable, rechargeable batteries and a dual charger ensure your vacuum is always ready for use.
  • Telescoping handle adjusts for comfortable cleaning.
  • Swivel steering makes it easy to maneuver into tight spaces.
  • Large capacity cyclonic dust cup promises easy cleanup.
  • Details:
    • Includes: two 10.8-volt rechargeable batteries & dual battery charger
    • Model no. SV800BB
This message was modified Jan 2, 2010 by CarmineD
Severus

Reply #56   Jan 3, 2010 2:01 am
CarmineD wrote:
Another new Shark product at KOHL's stores.  Looks impressive.  Good price.  Cordless.  2 battery packs: one for use and one for back-up.  Revolving brush for carpets.  Bagless venue is perfect for stick/hand vacuum usage. 

Carmine D.

Shark™ VX93 2-in-1 StickVac Cordless Vacuum
regular $114.99
sale $99.99

Keep all the floors in your home spotless. From bare floors to hard-to-reach areas, this Shark 2-in-1 StickVac has you covered.

• Lightweight, multipurpose design converts from a stick vacuum to a hand vacuum for versatile use.
  • Two-speed motorized brush roll and powerful suction provide use on bare floors or carpets.
  • Two removable, rechargeable batteries and a dual charger ensure your vacuum is always ready for use.
  • Telescoping handle adjusts for comfortable cleaning.
  • Swivel steering makes it easy to maneuver into tight spaces.
  • Large capacity cyclonic dust cup promises easy cleanup.
  • Details:
    • Includes: two 10.8-volt rechargeable batteries & dual battery charger
    • Model no. SV800BB

I'm still not sold on cordless for household appliances, but it looks like a nice way to extend the cordless time.  Perhaps Dyson will copy Shark and start adding a second battery to their handheld. 

CarmineD

Reply #57   Jan 3, 2010 6:36 am
Severus wrote:
I'm still not sold on cordless for household appliances, but it looks like a nice way to extend the cordless time.  Perhaps Dyson will copy Shark and start adding a second battery to their handheld. 
I agree.  Cordless is still in its infancy in the vacuum industry.  Like you I think the spare is a nice selling feature.
Carmine D.
CarmineD

Reply #58   Mar 14, 2010 7:59 am
Internet reviews of the Shark navigiator are piling up and appear very good.  A recent TV ad pits a James Dyson look alike complete with hair and accent and his famed dyson upright to an American housewife and a lowly shark navigator.  The latter wins out over the former in every category including price.  Bed Bath and Beyond as well as other retailers, like Target, BEST BUY, Frys, etc all carry and sell the Shark Navigator and their customers give it glowing reviews.  Bagless competition is fierce presently especially with pricing

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #59   Mar 14, 2010 11:32 am
CarmineD wrote:
Internet reviews of the Shark navigiator are piling up and appear very good.  A recent TV ad pits a James Dyson look alike complete with hair and accent and his famed dyson upright to an American housewife and a lowly shark navigator.  The latter wins out over the former in every category including price.  Bed Bath and Beyond as well as other retailers, like Target, BEST BUY, Frys, etc all carry and sell the Shark Navigator and their customers give it glowing reviews.  Bagless competition is fierce presently especially with pricing

Carmine D.

Thanks Carmine.  I'm glad to learn that good AND affordable competition is out there and, even better, buyers are speaking well of it.

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #60   Mar 14, 2010 2:15 pm
Venson wrote:
Thanks Carmine.  I'm glad to learn that good AND affordable competition is out there and, even better, buyers are speaking well of it.

Best,

Venson

Hello Venson:

If I were still in the vacuum business, I'd carry and sell the Shark Navigator specifically for customers solely interested in a bagless upright.  It meets/beats the TOL big box store bagless brand.  Even if I didn't make any money on the Shark-Navigator sales, I'd keep bagless vacuum customer clientele.

Carmine D.

Replies: 51 - 60 of 157Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42