Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?
Original Message   Dec 12, 2009 4:23 pm
Shark is going after the Dyson Ball pretty hard with the Navigator product.  It claims no loss of suction and claims its just as easy to maneuver as the Dyson Ball.  After acknowledging Dyson as the first to offer no loss of suction, they go for the throat.  They do a direct comparison to a Dyson Ball and state that they are equal in all ways (easy to maneuver, no loss of suction, 5 year warranty) but price.  For less than $200 you can get a Shark Navigator with a free steam cleaner thrown in to boot. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 31 - 40 of 157Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?
Reply #31   Dec 16, 2009 12:39 pm
Severus wrote:

Carmine,

Why did the price drop so much?  Are the bags particularly small or something?  I take it that you are not a fan of canisters.   

I wonder if the Miele Art, suction only uprights, could be had at a decent price.  Have they been discontinued?  

SEVERUS:

You're right.  I am not a cann and tank person.  More upright centered. 

The EUR/LUX Intensity never sold well despite it's good rug performance and desirable features.  No doubt in large part due to the appearance which never appealed to most vacuum customers.  I suspect this model is discontinued and may even be replaced by another lightweight model from EUR/LUX very soon.  Bag is very small.  Interesting that you compare/mention along with the MIELE Art series.  I do too especially in appearance.  The straight suction MIELE Art series ups are no longer sold on the MIELE Web Site.  IMHO, made and sold to yuppies during the dot.com/high tech boom to buyers with lots of disposable income.  Tho, Consumer Reports rated the MIELE Art series decently on rugs. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #32   Dec 16, 2009 1:08 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Agree SEVERUS.  If I didn't know better, I'd say ORECK is looking to down size its network of stores.  Things change.  Not always for the better.

Carmine D.

Sadly I have watched family owned businesses falter when the younger generation takes the throne.

The old work ethics still prevail over modern business ideas.  Today's generation wants the income with less work.

They do not have the dedication of those such as yourself.

HARDSELL

Reply #33   Dec 16, 2009 1:30 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
Who is backing the 3 yr Target warranty? Target or Oreck? I'm hearing from irate franchise owners that they won't do BBS warrantees. I can just hear the loud speaker at Target "Jenny... Vacuum Repair on Aisle 3!"

Lucky, can't answer your question honestly.  I do understand the franchise owners balking.

Im totally confused now.. on the basis that you were given a good opinion about an Oreck's poor performance you went ahead and bought one anyway?

I considered the source of the information (salesman wanting to upgrade a sale to a two speed).  Other Oreck salesmen have said single speed is OK.

Look back and see how many opinions I and others have been given about excellent Oreck performance.  All the nagatives that I have posted about my first Oreck still exist.  Regardless of CR or 55 year veterans praise I find the Oreck to be inferior to any vacuum that I have owned.

CarmineD

Reply #34   Dec 16, 2009 1:44 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Lucky, can't answer your question honestly.  I do understand the franchise owners balking.

I considered the source of the information (salesman wanting to upgrade a sale to a two speed).  Other Oreck salesmen have said single speed is OK.

Look back and see how many opinions I and others have been given about excellent Oreck performance.  All the nagatives that I have posted about my first Oreck still exist.  Regardless of CR or 55 year veterans praise I find the Oreck to be inferior to any vacuum that I have owned.

Obviously HS if you are comparing a strictly upright mode lightweight to full size vacuums with attachments then you are going to be disappointed.  I see you like the HOOVER Platinum lightweight much better than ORECK.  Tho you despise and impughn Consumer Reports vacuum ratings, CR gave it number 2 overall in the upright class.  And you seem to agree so far.  I personally and professionally think CR was generous in the rating/ranking and rate/rank both ORECK and Platinum lightweight comparable overall.  But each stronger than the other in different areas.

Carmine D. 

HARDSELL

Reply #35   Dec 16, 2009 1:46 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HS:

I highlighted two of your statements for additional clarification.

Thanks for quoting me to answer SEVERUS.  BUT.....I stated Garry disconnected the belt on the ORECK to prevent it from picking up the M&M's and cheerios in the TV infomercial.  I provided you the proof for my statement.  I never mentioned dyson in that comparison.  NEVER.  You can/may deduce that Garry would do the same with dyson as ORECK in that TV infomercial.  However, at a minimum it would be a stretch, and more correctly outright wrong to use me as the proof to deduce that Shark would do the same against dyson in an entirely different TV advertisement.  I NEVER said it.  You have no proof for your statement that Shark would cheat, other than your opinion/assumption, and tho I'm flattered, no proof to quote me.

WRT the ORECK dealer/sore, if he/she is the owner/operator of a franchised ORECK store he is not and independent, tho I agree he was pushing the envelope with the sale.

Carmine D. 

You are welcome.  However it was not flattery.  Simply a reference to your opinion.  I used Dyson simply to indicate the infomercial to which I was referring.  Being you usual self you think that Oreck was cheated but Dyson could not possibly be. My comment was not more a streteh than yours.   Get over it.  You proved nothing.  My experience with Oreck is as valid as yours.  I think it is a POS and we both are entitled to an opinion.

What validates an independent?

HARDSELL

Reply #36   Dec 16, 2009 1:49 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Obviously HS if you are comparing a strictly upright mode lightweight to full size vacuums with attachments then you are going to be disappointed.  I see you like the HOOVER Platinum lightweight much better than ORECK.  Tho you despise and impughn Consumer Reports vacuum ratings, CR gave it number 2 overall in the upright class.  And you seem to agree so far.  I personally and professionally think CR was generous in the rating/ranking and rate/rank both ORECK and Platinum lightweight comparable overall.  But each stronger than the other in different areas.

Carmine D. 

Why should I be disappointed.  Oreck advertises to compete with the big boys.  More deceipt according to you.

I have not found an area where Oreck was stronger.

I never make a buying desicion based on Clown Reports.

CarmineD

Reply #37   Dec 16, 2009 1:56 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
You are welcome.  However it was not flattery.  Simply a reference to your opinion.  I used Dyson simply to indicate the infomercial to which I was referring.  Being you usual self you think that Oreck was cheated but Dyson could not possibly be. My comment was not more a streteh than yours.   Get over it.  You proved nothing.  My experience with Oreck is as valid as yours.  I think it is a POS and we both are entitled to an opinion.

What validates an independent?

I didn't take it as flattery.  I took as a statement you made out of context that needed further clarification especially since you used me as the source.  As I recall from the Garry infomercial compares Garry and a dyson ball strictly on the lower vacuum profile not performance.  No cheating on that issue.  It is what it is.

Look up the definition of independent in the dictionary and you have Webster's answer.  It is my answer to your question too.  Tho I suspect if I were to respond to you independently, you will have your doubts. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #38   Dec 16, 2009 2:10 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Why should I be disappointed.  Oreck advertises to compete with the big boys.  More deceipt according to you.

I have not found an area where Oreck was stronger.

I never make a buying desicion based on Clown Reports.

Marketing, HS.  ORECK is 9/10 pounds.  That makes it easier and better for alot of folks who for whatever reasons are not inclined to pull out a full size vacuum with attachments.  That's a strength.  Simple operation.  My 5 year grand daughter uses it.  That's a strength.  One of the largest if not the largest dust bag on the market.  That's a strength.  Just to mention a few.

I don't make buy decisions based solely on CR ranks/ratings either and advise others the same.  We agree on that point.

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #39   Dec 16, 2009 2:32 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Electrolux Intensity vacuum, upright
COMPACT POWER The Electrolux Intensity upright vacuum, $300, offers plenty of suction and folds into a neat package.
This is the EUREKA LUX Intensity.  Now selling new for $90.  It is in the running along with SHark Navigator and DC24 Ball dyson.  Since I am primarily interested in the upright, not attachments, the Intensity at the price is the leader.  With 80 percent of ceramic tile floors, the ball model would be a nuisance to clean using the attachments vice the SHark and Intensity which could be used in the upright mode for the task.
Carmine D.

I've had an Eureka/Lux intensity on the sales floor for 2 years and can't sell the thing, (though I'm not down to $90 dollars). Seems like it would work well, but has a very small bag and I think the electronics of all the Eureka/Luxes I have dealt with, are POORLY done. As for the Art I have 1 on the floor and 1 in carton. I've sold a few and have used it personally on my wood floors and liked it. Small bag as well. They are both cool stylewise in their own ways. I would say the Elux (when working) would be better on carpet but I seriously doubt long term reliability. The Art seems very well made in comparison.
vacmanuk

Reply #40   Dec 16, 2009 8:29 pm
SEVERUS The Electrolux Intensity wasn't much cop here in the UK. Sold at £299 before being dropped like a hot potato. Not only the appearance put it off but the actual fact that owners have to bend down to change the bag, pull the cord out and pay through the nose for the small capacity bags. Miele Art is the same; it may have done well in consumer testing companies, but sales have been flagging and Miele discontinued it a couple of years ago because of a lack of power (1000 watts) and no roller bar assisted brush rolls. Pure suction and very poor on carpet pick up. Miele Art seems to be a favourite appearing on EBAY by previous owners and the tool storage/hose thing seems to get broken easily too. Artistic yes but not very practical for both "uprights." On another note the heavy Electrolux Professional upright arrived 2 years ago selling at £199 but it has dropped in price massively to £59-99. Styled very clearly in the form of Sebo's BS commercial uprights, UK consumers have been slow to pick up on its Arm and Hammer coated dust bags too.
Replies: 31 - 40 of 157Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42