Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?
Original Message   Dec 12, 2009 4:23 pm
Shark is going after the Dyson Ball pretty hard with the Navigator product.  It claims no loss of suction and claims its just as easy to maneuver as the Dyson Ball.  After acknowledging Dyson as the first to offer no loss of suction, they go for the throat.  They do a direct comparison to a Dyson Ball and state that they are equal in all ways (easy to maneuver, no loss of suction, 5 year warranty) but price.  For less than $200 you can get a Shark Navigator with a free steam cleaner thrown in to boot. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 22 - 31 of 157Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Re: Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?
Reply #22   Dec 15, 2009 9:12 pm
Given that you can achieve "no loss of suction" performance with this vacuum at 1/3 the price, it seems like a good choice.   Has anyone put one of these head to head against a Dyson Ball to compare performance?    Unfortunately, Consumer Reports did not test the Shark Navigator.   If I were in the market for a Dyson Ball,  I would give one of these a chance first.  Given the venues that will give you a 30 day or longer money back guarantee, it seems like a no lose opportunity. 

Apparently Dyson needs to charge higher prices in order to afford the high cost of robots to place in future Dyson stores. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Lucky1

Reply #23   Dec 15, 2009 9:34 pm
Thanks for your comments.   Oreck seems to be making some of the mistakes that Aerus/Lux made in going the big box store route (i.e. undercutting the Oreck stores).     Has there been a change in management at Oreck?   David Oreck is a very shrewd salesman.   I can't believe he would allow the company stores to have worse deals than Target. 

Aerus went BBS???? Isn't there an Asian controlled Big Money Holding Co syndicate running Oreck now? I'm pretty sure their responsible.
Severus

Reply #24   Dec 15, 2009 9:57 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
Aerus went BBS???? Isn't there an Asian controlled Big Money Holding Co syndicate running Oreck now? I'm pretty sure their responsible.

Sorry, I misspoke slightly.   A long time back Electrolux (before changing name to Aerus), sold vacuums cheap on QVC and also sold uprights at Sam's Club.  The prices at these venues were cheaper than through company stores. 

I still hear David Oreck on the radio.  His latest greatest vacuum can spin on a dime and comes with bonus vacuums.   

CarmineD

Reply #25   Dec 16, 2009 7:08 am
Severus wrote:
Thanks for your comments.   Oreck seems to be making some of the mistakes that Aerus/Lux made in going the big box store route (i.e. undercutting the Oreck stores).     Has there been a change in management at Oreck?   David Oreck is a very shrewd salesman.   I can't believe he would allow the company stores to have worse deals than Target. 

Agree SEVERUS.  If I didn't know better, I'd say ORECK is looking to down size its network of stores.  Things change.  Not always for the better.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #26   Dec 16, 2009 7:21 am
Severus wrote:
Given that you can achieve "no loss of suction" performance with this vacuum at 1/3 the price, it seems like a good choice.   Has anyone put one of these head to head against a Dyson Ball to compare performance?    Unfortunately, Consumer Reports did not test the Shark Navigator.   If I were in the market for a Dyson Ball,  I would give one of these a chance first.  Given the venues that will give you a 30 day or longer money back guarantee, it seems like a no lose opportunity. 

Apparently Dyson needs to charge higher prices in order to afford the high cost of robots to place in future Dyson stores. 

And pay the higher UK taxes imposed recently.

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #27   Dec 16, 2009 8:23 am
CarmineD wrote:
And pay the higher UK taxes imposed recently.

Carmine D.

Although someone like Dyson who regularly file new patents would stand to benefit in the near term, with recently announced R&D tax incentives in the UK.
This message was modified Dec 16, 2009 by M00seUK
CarmineD

Reply #28   Dec 16, 2009 8:41 am
M00seUK wrote:
Although someone like Dyson who regularly file new patents would stand to benefit in the near term, with recently announced R&D tax incentives in the UK.

The government giveth.......and the government taketh away...........

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #29   Dec 16, 2009 8:54 am
Electrolux Intensity vacuum, upright
COMPACT POWER The Electrolux Intensity upright vacuum, $300, offers plenty of suction and folds into a neat package.
This is the EUREKA LUX Intensity.  Now selling new for $90.  It is in the running along with SHark Navigator and DC24 Ball dyson.  Since I am primarily interested in the upright, not attachments, the Intensity at the price is the leader.  With 80 percent of ceramic tile floors, the ball model would be a nuisance to clean using the attachments vice the SHark and Intensity which could be used in the upright mode for the task.
Carmine D.
Severus

Reply #30   Dec 16, 2009 9:59 am
CarmineD wrote:
Electrolux Intensity vacuum, upright
COMPACT POWER The Electrolux Intensity upright vacuum, $300, offers plenty of suction and folds into a neat package.
This is the EUREKA LUX Intensity.  Now selling new for $90.  It is in the running along with SHark Navigator and DC24 Ball dyson.  Since I am primarily interested in the upright, not attachments, the Intensity at the price is the leader.  With 80 percent of ceramic tile floors, the ball model would be a nuisance to clean using the attachments vice the SHark and Intensity which could be used in the upright mode for the task.
Carmine D.

Carmine,

Why did the price drop so much?  Are the bags particularly small or something?  I take it that you are not a fan of canisters.   

I wonder if the Miele Art, suction only uprights, could be had at a decent price.  Have they been discontinued?  

This message was modified Dec 16, 2009 by Severus

CarmineD

Reply #31   Dec 16, 2009 12:39 pm
Severus wrote:

Carmine,

Why did the price drop so much?  Are the bags particularly small or something?  I take it that you are not a fan of canisters.   

I wonder if the Miele Art, suction only uprights, could be had at a decent price.  Have they been discontinued?  

SEVERUS:

You're right.  I am not a cann and tank person.  More upright centered. 

The EUR/LUX Intensity never sold well despite it's good rug performance and desirable features.  No doubt in large part due to the appearance which never appealed to most vacuum customers.  I suspect this model is discontinued and may even be replaced by another lightweight model from EUR/LUX very soon.  Bag is very small.  Interesting that you compare/mention along with the MIELE Art series.  I do too especially in appearance.  The straight suction MIELE Art series ups are no longer sold on the MIELE Web Site.  IMHO, made and sold to yuppies during the dot.com/high tech boom to buyers with lots of disposable income.  Tho, Consumer Reports rated the MIELE Art series decently on rugs. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 22 - 31 of 157Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42