Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?
Original Message   Dec 12, 2009 4:23 pm
Shark is going after the Dyson Ball pretty hard with the Navigator product.  It claims no loss of suction and claims its just as easy to maneuver as the Dyson Ball.  After acknowledging Dyson as the first to offer no loss of suction, they go for the throat.  They do a direct comparison to a Dyson Ball and state that they are equal in all ways (easy to maneuver, no loss of suction, 5 year warranty) but price.  For less than $200 you can get a Shark Navigator with a free steam cleaner thrown in to boot. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 138 - 147 of 157Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?
Reply #138   May 5, 2010 1:25 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
What did you recommend for her to buy next year?

FWIW Lucky1, buying from COSTCO she can easily return her prurchase USED after a year and even longer for a store credit/refund.  Nice thing about buying from COSTCO. 

Carmine D.

PS: I should add too that there are no questions asked.  No need for receipt.  No box.  They have on-line records to confirm.

This message was modified May 5, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #139   May 5, 2010 2:45 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
What did you recommend for her to buy next year?

Hi Lucky1,

I am thoroughly aware of the company's past history and I understand you're feeling on this  but I whole-heartedly feel that with care you may be able to gety by.  To me the idea is worth a shot.  That is why I was very careful to make the person in question aware of the importance of care. 

As to failure due to defect as opposed to lack of care, I have had all sorts of experiences.  As an instance, I still  have a super-suction bagless VN1400P  Black & Decker canister in which the little motor that ran the rachet-style pleated filter cleaner -- purported to make lik easy -- died before even a half dozen uses.  I remember the pleated filter Euro-Pro bagless I owned and what a disappoint ment that was.

Nonetheless let me be honest.  Yes I do own a coupe of Mieles but I bought those when it was easy for me to acquire them.  If I'm looking for a vacuum now, when the budget is substantially challenged and a grand, 800 bucks or even 300 is not in the picture are not in the picture what do I buy?  That's why the Navigator selling.

Venson

retardturtle1

Reply #140   May 5, 2010 5:49 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Lucky1,

I am thoroughly aware of the company's past history and I understand you're feeling on this  but I whole-heartedly feel that with care you may be able to gety by.  To me the idea is worth a shot.  That is why I was very careful to make the person in question aware of the importance of care. 

As to failure due to defect as opposed to lack of care, I have had all sorts of experiences.  As an instance, I still  have a super-suction bagless VN1400P  Black & Decker canister in which the little motor that ran the rachet-style pleated filter cleaner -- purported to make lik easy -- died before even a half dozen uses.  I remember the pleated filter Euro-Pro bagless I owned and what a disappoint ment that was.

Nonetheless let me be honest.  Yes I do own a coupe of Mieles but I bought those when it was easy for me to acquire them.  If I'm looking for a vacuum now, when the budget is substantially challenged and a grand, 800 bucks or even 300 is not in the picture are not in the picture what do I buy?  That's why the Navigator selling.

Venson

Hi Venson

With the 5 yr wrty..and costcos very open return policy  and at $200-160.....its really worth a shot.  As far as quality goes id say they have addressed the non-washable

cyclone issue and have made it user friendly from what ive seen...not some others that are a nightmare to deal with...so perhaps they have also solved the other quality

issues of the past...within a year youll either be happy with your purchase..or hate it. ...return it and try out another kind....thats the honest truth on what id do....

turtle

CarmineD

Reply #141   May 6, 2010 7:13 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi Venson

With the 5 yr wrty..and costcos very open return policy  and at $200-160.....its really worth a shot.  As far as quality goes id say they have addressed the non-washable

cyclone issue and have made it user friendly from what ive seen...not some others that are a nightmare to deal with...so perhaps they have also solved the other quality

issues of the past...within a year youll either be happy with your purchase..or hate it. ...return it and try out another kind....thats the honest truth on what id do....

turtle

Agree with you turtle1.  As I think COSTCO stores and customers would too.  I recall COSTCO carried and sold the very first Shark Infinity upright [also washable cyclones] with much sales success from what I saw and heard.  If it were a flop I doubt COSTCO stores would have the latest edition.  COSTCO can easily take back almost 3 of these Sharks at $150 for each one of the almost soon to be discountinued d brand model 14 for $399.  I predict the latter d model will soon be a COSTCO clearance item at $200-$250.  Question is whether COSTCO will advertise the sale and/or just mark them down in the store as a clearance as it did with the DC18 Slim [long gone and forgotten].

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 6, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #142   Jun 12, 2010 3:43 pm
I've had my mind on many things lately and haven't had time to check up on stuff in as timely a fashion as I'd like.  If the following info has already been posted, please forgive my oversight.  In any event, I hadn't been hooked up with Consumer Reports for a while but they've repeatedly sent me "We want you back" emails.  This time they proved it.  They knocked five bucks off my one-year online subscription.

CR rated the Navigator as excellent re pet hair pick up but only good for carpet cleaning.  I don't see that as a major fault one way or the other -- it's good to be good.  It also ranked nicely in regard to emissions, tool air flow and noise levels.

There were a good number of reviews for other vacuums in the $60.00 to $200 price range with nice reviews.  Thus there appears to be some hope for those facing budget crunches this year.

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #143   Jun 12, 2010 6:38 pm
Venson wrote:
I've had my mind on many things lately and haven't had time to check up on stuff in as timely a fashion as I'd like.  If the following info has already been posted, please forgive my oversight.  In any event, I hadn't been hooked up with Consumer Reports for a while but they've repeatedly sent me "We want you back" emails.  This time they proved it.  They knocked five bucks off my one-year online subscription.

CR rated the Navigator as excellent re pet hair pick up but only good for carpet cleaning.  I don't see that as a major fault one way or the other -- it's good to be good.  It also ranked nicely in regard to emissions, tool air flow and noise levels.

There were a good number of reviews for other vacuums in the $60.00 to $200 price range with nice reviews.  Thus there appears to be some hope for those facing budget crunches this year.

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

Very interesting.  Thanks for the info.  I'm impressed with this product so far.  Lightweight.  Price is right.  Performance is on par with the higher priced bagless.  Easy to clean/maintain 21 cyclones.  6 year warranty.  CR is high on it.  All the right stuff for a value vacuum.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #144   Jul 18, 2010 2:35 pm
At least 2 major retailers are discounting the Shark navigator bagless upright this week.  Bed Bath and Beyond which now boasts that it carries a full assortment of Shark cleaning products, incluidng the Steam Mop, which garnered a decent rating friom Consumer Reports with an overall "Good", is selling the Lightweight bagless upright with Infinity technology for $179 before a 20 percent discount for a sale price of $ 143 before applicable taxes.  Frys Electronics is selling for $139.  Just to repeat salient selling points: Washable cyclones for constant suction [doesn't require high power compressor blow outs for $30-$50 a pop], pet power tool, 2 crevice tools including an extra long one for tight/deep spaces.  If I recall correctly either a 5 or 6 year warranty.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #145   Aug 14, 2010 2:42 pm
Howdy,

For those of you that shop Costco, I just received this month's coupon book in the mail and a $30-off coupon is being offered for the Shark Navigator bagless upright.  It's good from August 19th to September 19th.

If you you've been seriously kicking around the idea of getting the Navigator, this coupon may help cinch the deal.  It sells at my eastcoast Costco for 160 bucks so the $30 off may make you stop and think wherever its sold.  (I am assuming the Costco price is the same across the country.)

The price break is great and the 5-year warranty still stands.

(No I have no affiliation with Costco or its subsidiaries.  They only get half my money and still don't even know my name.)

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #146   Aug 14, 2010 3:08 pm
Venson wrote:
Howdy,

For those of you that shop Costco, I just received this month's coupon book in the mail and a $30-off coupon is being offered for the Shark Navigator bagless upright.  It's good from August 19th to September 19th.

If you you've been seriously kicking around the idea of getting the Navigator, this coupon may help cinch the deal.  It sells at my eastcoast Costco for 160 bucks so the $30 off may make you stop and think wherever its sold.  (I am assuming the Costco price is the same across the country.)

The price break is great and the 5-year warranty still stands.

(No I have no affiliation with Costco or its subsidiaries.  They only get half my money and still don't even know my name.)

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

Thanks Venson.  I saw this ad in my mailer.  Interestingly, Shark Navigator is no longer on the COSTCO web site.  I suspect this is a pre-closeout sale for the item at COSTCO. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #147   Aug 14, 2010 4:18 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

Thanks Venson.  I saw this ad in my mailer.  Interestingly, Shark Navigator is no longer on the COSTCO web site.  I suspect this is a pre-closeout sale for the item at COSTCO. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

You're right, 'tis true. (But the DC14 reamins.)  :o)

Venson

Replies: 138 - 147 of 157Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42