Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?
Original Message   Dec 12, 2009 4:23 pm
Shark is going after the Dyson Ball pretty hard with the Navigator product.  It claims no loss of suction and claims its just as easy to maneuver as the Dyson Ball.  After acknowledging Dyson as the first to offer no loss of suction, they go for the throat.  They do a direct comparison to a Dyson Ball and state that they are equal in all ways (easy to maneuver, no loss of suction, 5 year warranty) but price.  For less than $200 you can get a Shark Navigator with a free steam cleaner thrown in to boot. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 111 - 120 of 157Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?
Reply #111   May 3, 2010 8:23 am
Shark Navigator Never Loses Suction Upright
Here's a picture of the latest Shark Navigator Pet
CarmineD

Reply #112   May 3, 2010 8:27 am
Some additional specs on the Shark Naviator Pet making it comparable to a full size vacuum desoite the 15 pounds:  10 amp motor.  12 inch cleaning swath.  30 foot cord.  Brush roll on off switch.  12 foot hose.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #113   May 3, 2010 9:06 am
The big daddy to the Navigator would be the Shark'Euro-Pro Infinity which qualifies as a full-sized upright with a wider cleaning swath.  Yes indeed, the Navigator is a glorified stick vac but certainly packing more oomph than your average Hoover or Eureka stick.  That in itself is not a new idea.  I've already priorly owned a Sunbeam stick with an attachment kit  and also  a Hoover stick vac fitted with a full-size power nozzle.

It is highly doubtful that Shark ever intended the Navigator as a full-size upright and it can safely be viewed as an equivalent to Sebo's Felix, Miele's 168 or 163 or the Emer sticks.  All of these machines, bagged ort not, are basically stick vacs with "big" motors that people are prepared to accept as regular vacuums.  They all also afford a less than conventional manner of attachment use than with a regular canister or upright but could easily get work done where they'd serve best..

Forgetting some of the prices, the advantage of all is that they are small yet may serve well as sole vacuum in small dwelling spaces.  Recalling pricing, most are not at a level that is encouraging for the purpose of buying a secondary vacuum cleaner.  The Navigator's advantage in theory would be efficient and easy to maintain cyclonics and its lesser price.  By way of that it fits current demand.  Lots of people now are looking for decent but less expensive vacuum.  That's why so many folks went running after the Garry vac.  Something good for a little money -- or so they believed.  I think the Navigator has the potential to actually offer that.

Though I have not owned the Navigator, I did own the EP621.  I like it but it's main problem was a pleated filter.  The Navigator could only be better save for my wondering about its sturdiness and Shark's ability to handle customer needs in good fashion.

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #114   May 3, 2010 9:19 am
Venson wrote:
The big daddy to the Navigator would be the Shark'Euro-Pro Infinity which qualifies as a full-sized upright with a wider cleaning swath.  Yes indeed, the Navigator is a glorified stick vac but certainly packing more oomph than your average Hoover or Eureka stick.  That in itself is not a new idea.  I've already priorly owned a Sunbeam stick with an attachment kit  and also  a Hoover stick vac fitted with a full-size power nozzle.

It is highly doubtful that Shark ever intended the Navigator as a full-size upright and it can safely be viewed as an equivalent to Sebo's Felix, Miele's 168 or 163 or the Emer sticks.  All of these machines, bagged ort not, are basically stick vacs with "big" motors that people are prepared to accept as regular vacuums.  They all also afford a less than conventional manner of attachment use than with a regular canister or upright but could easily get work done where they'd serve best..

Forgetting some of the prices, the advantage of all is that they are small yet may serve well as sole vacuum in small dwelling spaces.  Recalling pricing, most are not at a level that is encouraging for the purpose of buying a secondary vacuum cleaner.  The Navigator's advantage in theory would be efficient and easy to maintain cyclonics and its lesser price.  By way of that it fits current demand.  Lots of people now are looking for decent but less expensive vacuum.  That's why so many folks went running after the Garry vac.  Something good for a little money -- or so they believed.  I think the Navigator has the potential to actually offer that.

Though I have not owned the Navigator, I did own the EP621.  I like it but it's main problem was a pleated filter.  The Navigator could only be better save for my wondering about its sturdiness and Shark's ability to handle customer needs in good fashion.

Venson

Aren't you guys lucky? The nearest product we have in the UK at the moment is either the mini Bissell Easy Vac or the Vax LiFe model (based on the Hoover Linx). Consumers in the UK tend not to buy stick vacs because they are low powered and basic. Yet, it often surprises me when a company come along and produce a mains corded option. We had a Hoover Junior stick vac a couple of years ago based on the Hoover Athyss available on the continent. However it was bagged and the bags were very expensive even though there was a permanent bag that came with it. I had two models - a basic red one and then the Junior Plus that came with a shoulder kit,  longer hose kit, main turbo brush floor head and decent enough 1300watt motor . Whilst it was a good stick vac, it didn't half make a noise and it needed to be constantly emptied. Both models barely lasted two years - the red one's handle eventually cracked (it was hollow) and couldn't be replaced whilst the Junior Plus black model's hinge broke and gave way when it was meant to fold up into a hand held.

Electrolux have tried in the UK but not good enough in my opinion. I loved my old Ergorapido but again Electrolux have been mean and stingy in not providing more high powered stick vacs to UK buyers and the latest Ergorapido / Pronto stick isn't available either.

http://images.chemistdirect.co.uk/images/productimages/large/hv0280_080624_250.jpgReview of Hoover Junior Plus ST327E stick vacuum
HARDSELL

Reply #115   May 3, 2010 10:27 am
CarmineD wrote:
The Shark Navigator Pet is classified as a lightweight at 15 pounds.  Comes with a 5 year warranty.  Tools and hose length for stairs equal those of a full size vacuum making it a formidable contender against full size uprights and canisters.  I believe you are posting a picture of a previous and earlier Shark Navigator, not the latest.  Much to the chagrin of other bagless uprights the Shark Navigator Pet has the claim: Never loses suction embedded into the vacuum.  After all the industry dust up on this claim, I contend the washable cyclones and twice yearly filter cleaning on Shark Navigator [vice the dyson 4-6 times per year cleaning and others] make the difference in the usage of the product claim with Shark Navigator.  The brush roll in size and form on the Shark Navigator is comparable to a decent size power head nozzle.  Better easily IMHO than a DC24 which sells for $399.  As good a brush roll perhaps even better than an ORECK.  Shark Navigator is slightly stiffer.  I don't believe CR has rated and reviewed yet.  It should be interesting to see how well it fares.

Carmine D.

So if 32 idiots use the Navigator to vacuum leaves, mulch, etc. and do not empty it or never wash the filters it will not lose suction?  It is not full sized and a negative (from owners) is the inferior sized dust cup.  Too much emptying.
HARDSELL

Reply #116   May 3, 2010 10:34 am
CarmineD wrote:
To dyson's credit, it finally after 8 consecutive years of worst uprights and cyclinders ratings in Europe earned respect from Which? for its products.  Sadly, it hasn't done the same in the USA with Consumer Reports.  Got on the fringes of top 10 with DC17 at a 10/11 rating but never higher.  Some here indluding dyson fans maintained that winning CR's respect in the reviews and ratings was tantamount to success.  Hasn't happened yet and it's been 8 years since the USA launch.

Carmine D.

One Hoover fan told us that at least a half dozen Hoovers would be the demise of Dyson.  He also said that CR ratings and Wal Mart pulling Dyson from shelves would be the demise of Dyson.  One Dyson user disagreed with you.  Hoover failed and sold out.  Dyson sales are good to excellent despite CR.  Hoover USA flopped.  CR and the biased Hoover fan hasn't stopped Dyson's success.  Oh, the Hoover fan had to find another brand.

In 8 years Hoover, CR and a relic haven't slowed Dyson.

Lucky1

Reply #117   May 3, 2010 11:02 am
I would much rather have a Dyson than any Shark/Europro. Despite my feelings about the way the Dyson treats it's retailers, Shark reeks of slime. (Good luck trying to collect a 5 year warranty). That's going to be a thorn in the side of Sharks retailers. But then again I'm sure they are counting on People just throwing out their vacs instead of doing something about them and counting on Retailers to have employees and outlets that don't give a crap and either absorb the loss or just pass it onto the next corporate boondoggle infinitely.
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #118   May 3, 2010 11:52 am
HARDSELL wrote:
One Hoover fan told us that at least a half dozen Hoovers would be the demise of Dyson.  He also said that CR ratings and Wal Mart pulling Dyson from shelves would be the demise of Dyson.  One Dyson user disagreed with you.  Hoover failed and sold out.  Dyson sales are good to excellent despite CR.  Hoover USA flopped.  CR and the biased Hoover fan hasn't stopped Dyson's success.  Oh, the Hoover fan had to find another brand.

In 8 years Hoover, CR and a relic haven't slowed Dyson.

Hardsell,

I beg to differ.  CR ratings for the Dyson are NOT bad.  In fact, for the most part they score "very good."   Certainly, the lightweight uprights might have slipped into the "good range" 41-60, but the full size Dysons generally score in the "very good" range of 61 to 80.   Way too much is made of the rankings - which depend a lot on which vacuums are included and excluded. 

This message was modified May 3, 2010 by Severus

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #119   May 3, 2010 1:17 pm
Nutshell Hardsell:

You're taking this much to personal.  This is business and product pros and cons not personal.  Talking about getting personal, have you had to get up close and personal with all the rain lately?  Saw a bunch of toyota and lexus vehicles on the news stranded in water in your neck of the woods and had to wonder if the owners deliberately let them to sink.

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #120   May 3, 2010 1:23 pm
Severus wrote:
Hardsell,

I beg to differ.  CR ratings for the Dyson are NOT bad.  In fact, for the most part they score "very good."   Certainly, the lightweight uprights might have slipped into the "good range" 41-60, but the full size Dysons generally score in the "very good" range of 61 to 80.   Way too much is made of the rankings - which depend a lot on which vacuums are included and excluded. 

Dyson reliability ratings have been very good.  Of course, it's really been just the last 4 years of the 8 and CR may just be catching up with the vacuum problems in their customer surveys. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 111 - 120 of 157Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42