Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > CR likes new Miele upright

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

CR likes new Miele upright
Original Message   Nov 5, 2009 5:48 pm

Inside Consumer Reports Test Labs: Reviews of new vacuums from Eureka, Miele, Panasonic, and Electrolux

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2009/10/eureka-envirovac-3041-eureka-pet-pal-4716-panasonic-mcug775-electrolux-ultra-silencer-miele-s-7580.html

The top scorer of our latest tests was the Miele S 7580 upright, $800. This Miele was among the best at cleaning carpets, and its pet-hair pickup and low emissions were excellent as well. Its swivel-neck design allows for tighter turning, a plus since the 22-pound Miele is among the heavier uprights in our ratings. And its electronic suction control, with a choice between manual and automatic, adapts the motor speed for the surface you're cleaning.

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 1 - 38 of 38View as Outline
Venson

Re: CR likes new Miele upright
Reply #1   Nov 5, 2009 8:33 pm
Thanks Severus, you've made my day. The news makes me a very happy camper.

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #2   Nov 6, 2009 6:45 am
Venson wrote:
Thanks Severus, you've made my day. The news makes me a very happy camper.

Best,

Venson

Hello Venson:

Looks like you picked a winner!  IMMER BESSER.  As I recall, Vacmanuk posted the Which? results on the MIELE S7 earlier here.   Perhaps the summer time.  Which? and CR are on the same page with their assessments. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #3   Nov 6, 2009 10:55 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:</p><p>Looks like you picked a winner!  <strong><em>IMMER BESSER.</em></strong>  As I recall, <strong><em>Vacmanuk </em></strong>posted the Which? results on the MIELE S7 earlier here.   Perhaps the summer time.  Which? and CR are on the same page with their assessments.  </p><p>Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

The S7 uprights looked like winners to me from the first time I saw them and mine has performed like one since day one here the OK Corral. Yes, skeptic that I am, I'll continue to nit-pick regarding Miele's prices but I have no bones to pick in regard to the performance of these machines.

I'd love to from Melanie, "the cat lady", and learn how she's faring with her S7.

Best,

Venson
Venson

Reply #4   Nov 6, 2009 11:06 am
Forgot to mention that this is the first time I recall CR awarding a Miele product a better than "good" score for carpet cleaning. As well, I have no recall of any of the Miele cans being tested with 236 PN which I think is just great.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #5   Nov 6, 2009 12:13 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

The S7 uprights looked like winners to me from the first time I saw them and mine has performed like one since day one here the OK Corral. Yes, skeptic that I am, I'll continue to nit-pick regarding Miele's prices but I have no bones to pick in regard to the performance of these machines.

I'd love to from Melanie, "the cat lady", and learn how she's faring with her S7.

Best,

Venson
Venson wrote:
Forgot to mention that this is the first time I recall CR awarding a Miele product a better than "good" score for carpet cleaning. As well, I have no recall of any of the Miele cans being tested with 236 PN which I think is just great.

Venson

Hi Venson:

Considering that this is the first real home grown MIELE made upright in its history, the ART series doesn't count, MIELE has accomplished an industry feat by winning acclaim from Consumer Reports right out of the gate.

I suspect Melanie, aka Catlady, has her hands full with 14 furry friends in her home.  WRT how's she "faring" perhaps better if it is said "furring."

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 6, 2009 by CarmineD
catlady

My Miele S7
Reply #6   Nov 6, 2009 4:45 pm
Ironic that I jumped on here before leaving work today! LOL It's been a while since I've checked Abby's Guide. I'm up to 15 cats and still have my 4 dogs. I have NO adoptions and I'm pulling my hair out. Anyone want a cute kitty?

The replacement Miele is doing GREAT! I'm still very happy with it. I can't believe how well it stands up to all the hair and the cat toys! It's not uncommon for us to suck up the occasional toy mouse or jingle ball. So the Miele S7 still gets an A+ in my book!

Hey, do any of you have reviews for steam cleaners? I've been checking out reviews and hopped on here to see if there were any. I was thinking about saving for a Ladybug, but they are so expensive it would take forever. With all the critters I'm having constant problems with my asthma and thought maybe steam cleaning around the house would help.

Thanks
Melanie
This message was modified Nov 6, 2009 by catlady
Venson

Re: My Miele S7
Reply #7   Nov 6, 2009 6:56 pm
catlady wrote:
Ironic that I jumped on here before leaving work today! LOL It's been a while since I've checked Abby's Guide. I'm up to 15 cats and still have my 4 dogs. I have NO adoptions and I'm pulling my hair out. Anyone want a cute kitty?<BR><BR>The replacement Miele is doing GREAT! I'm still very happy with it. I can't believe how well it stands up to all the hair and the cat toys! It's not uncommon for us to suck up the occasional toy mouse or jingle ball. So the Miele S7 still gets an A+ in my book!<BR><BR>Hey, do any of you have reviews for steam cleaners? I've been checking out reviews and hopped on here to see if there were any. I was thinking about saving for a Ladybug, but they are so expensive it would take forever. With all the critters I'm having constant problems with my asthma and thought maybe steam cleaning around the house would help.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Melanie

Hi Melanie,

The main advantage of vapor steam cleaners is that they clean and kill bacteria without the use of chemical agents. The only detergent you use is the laundry detergent need to wash the special pad and cloths they use. Steam cleaners are surely a good thing for people sensitive to chemical fumes produced by cleaning agents like oven cleaner and some all-purpose cleaning detergents and compounds.

However, in your case I think the pets are probably the source of the problem and best bet is to try to beef up your home air filtration system/methods in hope of catching more airborne pet dandruff, etc., between cleaning sessions.

Speaking of the vacuum, if you set it on low speed -- low noise levels being an essential -- you can try out going over the braver of your pets -- from the neck down -- with the hose and an attachment. Some will like it and some won't.

I used to use the bare floor tool on my dog. He liked it so much that he'd flop onto the floor waiting to be cleaned every time I got the vacuum out. I also had a special Eureka tool that a cat I had liked too but the dusting tool is fine. I think the feel of the cool air moving through their fur is what they like. In any event I found it a way to groom both a little less messily and to also reduce the amount of pet hair I'd have to go after while cleaning.

Venson
vacmanuk

Reply #8   Nov 6, 2009 7:10 pm
Hi Catlady
Funny enough I was looking at Epinions the other night and found a steam gun that we have in the UK under the Hoover brand. Ive had the same steam gun for several years now and whilst it is good a lot of the plastic attachments slip off in use. I see in the U.S it is known as the McCulloch MC1235. I find mine is great for shifting dust and general grease very well but it struggles with bathroom grout.

If you're looking for a steam cleaner upright design I have a Hometek (cheap Chinese/Asian built) steam upright cleaner. It is very basic, uses washable and removable microfibre cloths and much prefer using it against a dirty mop or for my 6ft frame not so much of a back wrenching cleaning experience. It looks like a mop that I saw either on Sears or Walmart website and it looks like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000WXR5LW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=471057153&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001JQLCC4&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=03AE5M6J00VGNPES9RXA

Hometek also do another mop called the Elite. I bought that for my mum but it is too flimsy for my liking and she has taken my old light n easy as it feels more durable and is easier to fill up with water, also has a bigger tank.
CarmineD

Reply #9   Nov 6, 2009 7:49 pm
Hello Catlady:

Glad your MIELE is holding up so well under very rigorous house cleaning requirements.  Perhaps you should be nicknamed MIELE Melanie? 

BTW, if you haven't already, you may want to write MIELE and let them know what you think about its S7 vacuum and the rigors that you take it through.  If and when you should, be sure to leave out the part about picking up pet toys.  It could void your warranty.    IMMER BESSER! 

Carmine D.

Trebor

Re: Vapor Steam Cleaners
Reply #10   Nov 7, 2009 7:51 am
CatLady and All,

Google  ' VX5000' .  It looks sturdy, reasonably priced, and well equipped.  They offer a liberal return policy. The Ladybug does not look as sturdy, and I'm not certain their TANCS is really anything other than a marketing gimmick.

Trebor
catlady

Reply #11   Nov 7, 2009 8:43 am
Hi Venson,
I do agree that most of my allergies are caused by all of the extra hair and dander around the house, but we also have a pretty bad mold problem.  I read that steam cleaning can help kill the mold.  Our basement is horrible.  It's so musty and damp.  We need to have french drains put in outside and then work done in the basement because water comes in, but we had estimates done and there's just no way we can afford that type of work.  So we try to control the mold.  My husband uses bleach to clean the mold around the windows, in the bathrooms, and in the basement.  We also usually use bleach on litter box scrubbing days and to clean up an accidents and to clean off kitchen counter tops (you know those cats are on them when you're now home, LOL).  Problem is I can't even smell the slightest hint bleach anymore.  Almost any chemical cleaner sends me into an attack over the last few months.  I'm a bit of a clean freak and really want a way to keep my home as sanitized as possible with this number of animals.  I was hoping that a steam cleaner would help disinfect the house and kill some of the mold without the chemical smells.

Melanie
This message was modified Nov 7, 2009 by catlady
catlady

Reply #12   Nov 7, 2009 8:45 am
Carmine,
After I gave Miele and my Vac Shop such a hard time regarding the problems with my "demo" S7, I did let everyone know how happy I was with the replacement S7 after about a month.  I wanted to leave things on a positive note.

Melanie
catlady

Re: Vapor Steam Cleaners
Reply #13   Nov 7, 2009 8:47 am
Trebor wrote:
CatLady and All,

Google  ' VX5000' .  It looks sturdy, reasonably priced, and well equipped.  They offer a liberal return policy. The Ladybug does not look as sturdy, and I'm not certain their TANCS is really anything other than a marketing gimmick.

Trebor

Thanks.
I'll check that out today.
Melanie
Venson

Reply #14   Nov 7, 2009 9:02 am
catlady wrote:
Hi Venson, <BR>I do agree that most of my allergies are caused by all of the extra hair and dander around the house, but we also have a pretty bad mold problem.  I heard that steam cleaning can help kill the mold.  Our basement is horrible.  It's so musty and damp.  We need to have french drains put in outside and then work done in the basement because water comes in, but we had estimates done and there's just no way we can afford that type of work.  So we try to control the mold.  My husband uses bleach to clean the mold around the windows, in the bathrooms, and in the basement.  Problem is I can't even smell the slightest hint bleach anymore.  Almost any chemical cleaner sends me into an attack anymore.  I was hoping that a steam cleaner would help disinfect and kill some of the mold without the chemical smells.<BR><BR>Melanie

Hi Melanie,

Got it. I'll PM you with info about some decent refurbed steam cleaners I've seen on eBay. I own one and it has thus far given good service. One of the reasons I bought it was because, for its type -- it's a device about the size of a small canister vacuum -- it provides a good amount of steam for a good period of time. It should probably be satisfactory for the use you have in mind. By the way, my other reason for trying out this specific steam cleaner was because the price was low enough to not make me hateful if I did not like it.

As opposed to the several hundred dollars and above that steam cleaners come for, these refurbs are in the $125.00 range and are a good way to start out. I have purchased from this seller without problem but as always, I suggest you read through his eBay feedback, etc., to satisfy yourself as to whether or not you want to do business with him.

Best,

Venson
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #15   Jan 3, 2010 1:58 am
In the Feb 2010 edition of Consumer Reports, they feature quiet vacuums - the Miele S 7580 Bolero, $800 and the Electrolux Ultra Silencer. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #16   Jan 3, 2010 6:34 am
Severus wrote:
In the Feb 2010 edition of Consumer Reports, they feature quiet vacuums - the Miele S 7580 Bolero, $800 and the Electrolux Ultra Silencer. 

Thanks SEVERUS.  I don't subscribe but will keep my eyes scoped on the Feb 2010 edition of CR.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #17   Jan 7, 2010 6:40 am
Severus wrote:

SEVERUS:

Thanks again.  Read this in the latest Consumer Reports and enjoyed the perspective and commentary. 

Carmine D.

Severus

Reply #18   Jan 11, 2010 11:07 am
CarmineD wrote:
SEVERUS:

Thanks again.  Read this in the latest Consumer Reports and enjoyed the perspective and commentary. 

Carmine D.

I would agree.   I think the article highlights the balance between - cleaning ability, weight, power, maneuverability, noise, etc.   For me it highlighted the difficulty of vacuum design.  It contrasted the 2 quietest uprights tested - the Miele and the Dyson DC24.  The Dyson is more maneuverable - but it does a mediocre job on carpeting.  The Miele does an exceptional job of cleaning carpeting, but it's harder to push - even with the swivel turn thing.  

Kirby and Hoover try to solve the problem by adding self-propelled mechanisms - which in turn make the vacuums heavier, but easier to push.   Given that Consumer Reports subsciber base tends to be older, ease of use/lightness seems to have a greater influence on scores as of late. 

CarmineD

Reply #19   Jan 12, 2010 7:26 am
Severus wrote:
I would agree.   I think the article highlights the balance between - cleaning ability, weight, power, maneuverability, noise, etc.   For me it highlighted the difficulty of vacuum design.  It contrasted the 2 quietest uprights tested - the Miele and the Dyson DC24.  The Dyson is more maneuverable - but it does a mediocre job on carpeting.  The Miele does an exceptional job of cleaning carpeting, but it's harder to push - even with the swivel turn thing.  

Kirby and Hoover try to solve the problem by adding self-propelled mechanisms - which in turn make the vacuums heavier, but easier to push.   Given that Consumer Reports subsciber base tends to be older, ease of use/lightness seems to have a greater influence on scores as of late. 

SEVERUS:

We've talked on other threads about the future of the vacuum industry and what we should expect to see in advances.  You and CR hit on two.  Lighter and quieter vacuums that perform as well as their old heavy ancestors.  Look at the HOOVER Floormate, a topic on another thread.  It vacuums in dry and wet mode, cleans and dries floors.  Around really since the late 50's in two differnt forms with the most recent out in 2001.  The deluxe Floormate with 6 brushes is 18 pounds.  It's quiet.  All vacuums made and sold today should have the same standard.  Instead, 16 pounds for a vacuum and less is considered a lightweight category.  ORECK's 8 pounder has been around since the early 60's.  Where is the rest of the industry?  Still playing catch up after almost 50 years.  Simpler is smarter. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 12, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #20   Jan 12, 2010 9:12 am
Severus wrote:

Actually I think older vacuum buyers identify with a little weight in the sense that it lends to a sense of solidness.  Baby boomers, now in itheir 60s and 70s grew up with old, easily repairable and long-lasting war horses like Hoover, Electrolux, Eureka, etc., but were weaned off the idea with the introduction of units primarily made of plastic.Even the older generation has become accustomed to disposability.

Yet, when you consider mature persons living on fixed incomes and with less disposable income who have to maintian bigger financial obigations -- housing, transportation and medical expendirures -- they to my mind don't necessarily figure into the bigger business picture as much as people from about 20-years-old to 50 with more spending change do.  It is expected that a large part of "seniors" will end up in assisted living facilities where there's no need for peronal outlays as regards fridges, washing machines and vacuums.  Staff at the facilities handle food prep, laundry and the tidying of their residence's environment. Thus I'd argue that  younger crowd probably is equally interested in matters regarding weight and are probably more the market companies are striving to please.

The development of the power drive made a cool idea like the Dial-A-Matic more convenient.  Nonetheless, the Hoover vacuum was always a work in progress.  It should be also noted that Hoover did not make the power drive for a must for all its models.  Apparently there is a market that can manage without it.  On the other hand, although I do in some small way admire the company's constancy, Kirby had to do something.  Despite its cleaning ability, besides high prices it has maintained very dated design ideas for years and has been heavy and $#%*bersome for just as long.  I think employing a rather modern component like power drive was more a way to romance the younger public.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #21   Jan 12, 2010 2:11 pm
Hello Venson:

Panasonic's uprights impressed me in the early 70's with their lightweight, quietness, tools on board and power.  I sold them for many years.  Their appeal crossed age groups from young to old.  This when HOOVER and other brands still used metal for their bases.  Panasonic even had baby and full size models at very affordable prices.  As we mentioned here before, pano's one fan motor, used for its least expensive and smallest upright model, ended up in the dyson DC07.  A motor that was introed by pano in the vacuum industry many years ago.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #22   Jan 13, 2010 2:28 pm
I had a Panasonic MCE 51N vacuum cleaner for many years, a brilliant basic upright vacuum cleaner that didn't use Panasonic's silly idea of fitting two drive belts either. Bought it in the late 1980's and didnt get rid of it until something like 1998! Dont know if you got them in the States but it was a squarish old thing, 800 watts clean fan design with a blanking plate at the front where more expensive models had headlights and variable suction controls up by the main bin housing.
Severus

Reply #23   Jan 15, 2010 10:59 am
Here's the link the CR's comments about the quietness versus performance:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/february/appliances/quiet-vacs-come-at-a-price/overview/quiet-vacs-ov.htm

I don't think you have to be a subscriber to read.

Venson

Reply #24   Jan 15, 2010 12:47 pm
Thanks Severus.  I kind of get it but am not quite accepting of CR's point of view regarding the Electrolux canister. Everything has its place. 

The Electrolux EL6986A is after all a "straight suction" machine and it has always been understood that the like is, in regard to rug cleaning, neither comparable to canisters with power nozzles or standard upright vacuums.  Straight suction canisters generally serve well enough in homes where there's lots of bare flooring and limited amounts of low or medium pile carpeting.  I think it was kind of dumb on CR's part to rank it with canisters with PNs and uprights when it past it was always their habit to rate the straight suction category separately.

CR however would have perfectly right to recommend a good performing straight suction vacuum at a better price with the same thinking in mind.

What I did like was that they saw fit to recommend some Kenmore models that more suit the budget of lots of people lately.

Venson

Venson

Reply #25   Jan 15, 2010 12:47 pm
Thanks Severus.  I kind of get it but am not quite accepting of CR's point of view regarding the Electrolux canister. Everything has its place. 

The Electrolux EL6986A is after all a "straight suction" machine and it has always been understood that the like is, in regard to rug cleaning, neither comparable to canisters with power nozzles or standard upright vacuums.  Straight suction canisters generally serve well enough in homes where there's lots of bare flooring and limited amounts of low or medium pile carpeting.  I think it was kind of dumb on CR's part to rank it with canisters with PNs and uprights when it past it was always their habit to rate the straight suction category separately.

CR however would have perfectly right to recommend a good performing straight suction vacuum at a better price with the same thinking in mind.

What I did like was that they saw fit to recommend some Kenmore models that more suit the budget of lots of people lately.

Venson

Venson

Reply #26   Jan 15, 2010 12:47 pm

Venson

Severus

Reply #27   Jan 21, 2010 6:02 pm
Venson wrote:

Venson

These vacuums are advertised as being extra quiet and come with a big price.  While it may not be fair to compare a canister with straight suction to one with a power nozzle, I wonder if they are comparing by price.  If you can get a Kenmore with a power nozzle that is nearly as quiet, why not buy the better equipped one?  I assume that your Miele canister is also very quiet.

Venson

Reply #28   Jan 22, 2010 7:06 pm
Severus wrote:
These vacuums are advertised as being extra quiet and come with a big price.  While it may not be fair to compare a canister with straight suction to one with a power nozzle, I wonder if they are comparing by price.  If you can get a Kenmore with a power nozzle that is nearly as quiet, why not buy the better equipped one?  I assume that your Miele canister is also very quiet.

Hi Severus,

How's it going?  For the money asked, I'd opt for a canister with power nozzle to cover all fronts.  Even if you don't have a lot of carpeting at the time of purchase, should you decide to go for more area rugs or wall-to-wall you're already good to go.  Normally, someone looking to save a few bucks would opt for a straight-suction canister which would be far lower in price than $300.

Possibly Electrolux priced this particular machine that high simply because they could.  Many of us give more weight to the name than current product is worth.

My Miele canister is wonderfully quiet and quite portable.  With the electronic speed/suction adjustment I am not required to run the machine at top speed, and volume, if the job doesn't call for it.  There's a middle speed that does well for bare floors and above the floor tasks and that I even use for quick clean ups of carpeting since I have the power nozzle too.  Kenmore and many other brands offer the thing for less money however.

Getting back to the Electrolux, price was definitely an issue but  CR did take up the matter of rug cleaning ability, I left wondering what it was they were expecting from that kind of machine.  Might as well, start comparing had vacs to full-sized ones.

Best,

Venson

Severus

Reply #29   Jan 24, 2010 1:25 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Severus,

How's it going?  For the money asked, I'd opt for a canister with power nozzle to cover all fronts.  Even if you don't have a lot of carpeting at the time of purchase, should you decide to go for more area rugs or wall-to-wall you're already good to go.  Normally, someone looking to save a few bucks would opt for a straight-suction canister which would be far lower in price than $300.

Possibly Electrolux priced this particular machine that high simply because they could.  Many of us give more weight to the name than current product is worth.

My Miele canister is wonderfully quiet and quite portable.  With the electronic speed/suction adjustment I am not required to run the machine at top speed, and volume, if the job doesn't call for it.  There's a middle speed that does well for bare floors and above the floor tasks and that I even use for quick clean ups of carpeting since I have the power nozzle too.  Kenmore and many other brands offer the thing for less money however.

Getting back to the Electrolux, price was definitely an issue but  CR did take up the matter of rug cleaning ability, I left wondering what it was they were expecting from that kind of machine.  Might as well, start comparing had vacs to full-sized ones.

Best,

Venson

CR occasionally does some nutty things.  If I remember correctly, they seemed to be out in left field on their blender reviews several years back.  They rated the Vitamixer as not being so great because they tested blenders by whipping eggs, and the powerful Vitamix blender made scrambled eggs.  The top blender was something like a Braun that ended up having problems.  This year, I think the Vitamixer was at the top when they did a proper test making smoothies. 

Based on the political emails I get from CR, they also tend to have some socialist tendencies which may explain why price seems to have some influence on their ratings (this is a perception - not sure if it's reality).  Personally, I think the ratings should be independent of price.  Consumers can decide for themselves how much is too much to spend.     

Vernon

Reply #30   Jan 24, 2010 1:44 am
Severus wrote:
Personally, I think the ratings should be independent of price.  Consumers can decide for themselves how much is too much to spend.     

I absolutely agree!!  If the best product available costs another 25%, and if you want and can afford the best, go for it. 

Vernon
Venson

Reply #31   Jan 24, 2010 6:16 pm
Severus wrote:
CR occasionally does some nutty things.  If I remember correctly, they seemed to be out in left field on their blender reviews several years back.  They rated the Vitamixer as not being so great because they tested blenders by whipping eggs, and the powerful Vitamix blender made scrambled eggs.  The top blender was something like a Braun that ended up having problems.  This year, I think the Vitamixer was at the top when they did a proper test making smoothies. 

Based on the political emails I get from CR, they also tend to have some socialist tendencies which may explain why price seems to have some influence on their ratings (this is a perception - not sure if it's reality).  Personally, I think the ratings should be independent of price.  Consumers can decide for themselves how much is too much to spend.     

Hi Severus,

As I've often said, I think CR's reasoning is to get potential vacuum buyers over the hype about certain brands and to also show them that "good" may not always be found in machinery bearing big price tags.  Unfortunately, there is still a prevailing feeling that the more something costs the better it must be.  Many people really do need help in deciding what's worth buying to help them find either product that's the best they can afford or that may be worth spending a little extra on in the long run.  

Heck, they're selling clothing and shoes that merely cost a buck or two to make for all kinds of money more on name than quality.  I remember a teenage kid who once spared me not an iota pride because his quite forgettable off-the-rack jacket, made by some popular designer of the time, cost more than everything I had on. He never once told me anything in regard to style, quality or anything else that might have better commended his purchase.  The big issue was that the jacket cost a lot.  Naturally, I let the little dummy live but I can't help but fear, if dumb is in the genes, that he's passed the same stupid perceptions on to his own kids by now.

Ownership of big tag items does offer a thing or two to impress the neighbors with.  I remember well telling a friend about the new Filter Queen I bought in the very late '70s and I also remember well that when she happened to stop by for a visit, when she saw it, the first thing she said was, "Oh, so that's  the $500 vacuum you bought."

CR, whos logic can be spotty, should also be trying to help consumers choose by also pointing out good appliance characteristics that usually point to sounder purchases

Venson

Venson

Reply #32   Jan 24, 2010 6:16 pm
Severus wrote:

Hi Severus,

As I've often said, I think CR's reasoning is to get potential vacuum buyers over the hype about certain brands and to also show them that "good" may not always be found in machinery bearing big price tags.  Unfortunately, there is still a prevailing feeling that the more something costs the better it must be.  Many people really do need help in deciding what's worth buying to help them find either product that's the best they can afford or that may be worth spending a little extra on in the long run.  

Heck, they're selling clothing and shoes that merely cost a buck or two to make for all kinds of money more on name than quality.  I remember a teenage kid who once spared me not an iota pride because his quite forgettable off-the-rack jacket, made by some popular designer of the time, cost more than everything I had on. He never once told me anything in regard to style, quality or anything else that might have better commended his purchase.  The big issue was that the jacket cost a lot.  Naturally, I let the little dummy live but I can't help but fear, if dumb is in the genes, that he's passed the same stupid perceptions on to his own kids by now.

Ownership of big tag items does offer a thing or two to impress the neighbors with.  I remember well telling a friend about the new Filter Queen I bought in the very late '70s and I also remember well that when she happened to stop by for a visit, when she saw it, the first thing she said was, "Oh, so that's  the $500 vacuum you bought."

CR, whos logic can be spotty, should also be trying to help consumers choose by also pointing out good appliance characteristics that usually point to sounder purchases

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #33   Jan 25, 2010 7:05 am
On a somewhat related note, BEST BUY is bundling appliance purchases with new  vacuums.  Not free but with cost savings for the group of appliances purchased.  Interesting sales technique.  Seen BB in the past giveaway vacuums with appliance purchases in excess of an amount.  Selling a package/bundling of appliances with vacuums for multiple sales/purchases with cost savings is new.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Jan 25, 2010 by CarmineD
Severus

Reply #34   Jan 25, 2010 10:27 am
CarmineD wrote:
On a somewhat related note, BEST BUY is bundling appliance purchases with new  vacuums.  Not free but with cost savings for the group of appliances purchased.  Interesting sales technique.  Seen BB in the past giveaway vacuums with appliance purchases in excess of an amount.  Selling a package/bundling of appliances with vacuums for multiple sales/purchases with cost savings is new.

Carmine D. 

Carmine,

I saw that as well.  The Hoover bagless pet vacuum looked like an interesting vacuum.   It had a low profile for getting under furniture.   I don't know whether it uses a Dyson like multicyclonics to maintain suction. 

Unless you absolutely need to replace all 3 appliances at once (washer, dryer, vacuum), it doesn't seem like much of a deal to me.  It seems like a gimmick to get you into a high dollar washer/dryer.  It seems like if you're going to pay $3000 for a washer/dryer/vacuum, you ought to be getting Miele products.    

CarmineD

Reply #35   Jan 25, 2010 2:21 pm
Severus wrote:
Carmine,

I saw that as well.  The Hoover bagless pet vacuum looked like an interesting vacuum.   It had a low profile for getting under furniture.   I don't know whether it uses a Dyson like multicyclonics to maintain suction. 

Unless you absolutely need to replace all 3 appliances at once (washer, dryer, vacuum), it doesn't seem like much of a deal to me.  It seems like a gimmick to get you into a high dollar washer/dryer.  It seems like if you're going to pay $3000 for a washer/dryer/vacuum, you ought to be getting Miele products.    

SEVERUS:

Agree.  It's not as beneficial to the buyer as much as the seller.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #36   Jan 25, 2010 3:12 pm
Severus wrote:
Carmine,

Considering the high cost of the Miele their dealers should give appliances with a vacuum.
Severus

Reply #37   Jan 25, 2010 5:26 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Considering the high cost of the Miele their dealers should give appliances with a vacuum.

Hardsell -

If Best Buy sold Miele products, I suspect they would need a $4000+ special package deal - something like:

Miele washing machine (W1850) -  $1850

Miele dryer (T9800) - $1250

Miele S7 Salsa S7280 upright Mango red - $649

Total - $3749 + tax/shipping

Venson

Reply #38   Jan 25, 2010 11:57 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

Hi Hardsell,

They give you nothing but best wishes.

Venson

Replies: 1 - 38 of 38View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42