Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
vacomatic

Lightweights
Original Message   Oct 26, 2009 1:56 am
Hoover (TTI) introduced a new vac a few months ago called the Linx.
And Electrolux has had the Pronto around a while (Costco's version uses a 12 volt battery .vs. 9.6 volt version in most retail outlets)

As it was getting tiring lugging the Miele/Bosch/Sebo up and down the stairs of my townhouse, I picked these up for various cleaning duties.

The Linx claims to be a Windtunnel design and actually did a pretty decent job on rugs and bare floors. 
It's relatively light weight, uses a simple Cyclone that so far seems to handle fine dust without immediately clogging its secondary filter.

The Pronto is either stick or handheld.  It uses a dust cone which is a pain to clean (pull a tab out and release, whack whack whack until no more dust comes out of the screened enclosure).

Both these vacs run for around 15 minutes per charge.  Linx uses exchangable Lithium Ion pack that pulse-charges in 3 hours, Pronto an enclosed NiCad taking all night to trickle-charge.

....and while I have seen the Dyson handheld, it really didn't fit this as it has no floor capability, uses up battery really fast (new versions supposedly do better), and has a shrieking motor (the Linx and Pronto,
while noisy, are bearable).
Replies: 5 - 14 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuumfreeeke

Re: Lightweights
Reply #5   Oct 26, 2009 7:52 pm
By the way.... I have the Dirt Devil stick vac that can be found at Wal-mart... I found it in the trash at my apartment complex.  Once I got all the hair from around the brushroll, charged it, and washed the filters I used it.  I was pretty impressed for someone who isn't a Dirt Devil fan...  it worked quite well on my thin carpet and kitchen floor.  I can also use it to get cat hair off the ottomon or bed.  The battery only lasts 7 minutes and takes forever to recharge, and the filter does clog if you try to suck up anything like flour or baby powder.  However, for cleaing around the front door and litter box, it just can't be beat, I'm pretty sure it's only like 30 dollars new !  I use it every day almost.
vacomatic

Reply #6   Oct 27, 2009 1:00 am
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Linx is just the type of battery that it uses, and that the machine is actually called the Hoover Platinum stick vac.... anyone want to correct me if I'm wrong...?
Yes, you are right - the vac's box labels it as Hoover Platinum stick vac.
Most of the older stick vacs used NiCad batteries and trickle chargers. NiCad batteries simply don't last unless they are charged with pulse chargers (Dirt Devil's the only Mfr I've found so far using pulse chargers on some of its newer hand vacs).

BTW the Hoover Platinum Stick vac uses a cogged belt to drive its brush. :-)
This message was modified Oct 27, 2009 by vacomatic
CarmineD

Reply #7   Oct 27, 2009 8:04 am
Here's the Dirt Devil/TTI stick:
Buy new: $65.45
3 Used & new from $59.99
In Stock
3.9 out of 5 stars (368)
I suspect it is similar to the HOOVER Platinum but haven't done a compare for the price differential which is substantial.  If you click on the photo, you'll see more images.
Carmine D.
This message was modified Oct 27, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #8   Oct 27, 2009 8:14 am
The HOOVER Platinum Linx Stick vac with an MSRP for $179 is used by several retailers as a promo for new appliance sales.  Buy $1000 worth of kitchen/household appliances, and receive free.  BEST BUY has used it recently.  I believe other retailers too.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #9   Oct 27, 2009 8:33 am
CarmineD wrote:
The HOOVER Platinum Linx Stick vac with an MSRP for $179 is used by several retailers as a promo for new appliance sales.  Buy $1000 worth of kitchen/household appliances, and receive free.  BEST BUY has used it recently.  I believe other retailers too.

Carmine D.

Must not be selling too well at the retail level.
CarmineD

Reply #10   Oct 27, 2009 8:35 am
Makes no difference inb this case HS.  Somebody had to buy to gift them away!  Still a sale.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #11   Oct 27, 2009 8:41 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Must not be selling too well at the retail level.

When you bundle a free product with another product and sell for less than the price of the one, you lose a new sell on the giveaway and lose money on the sale too IF IT SELLS!  Reference DC16 and DC27.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #12   Oct 27, 2009 8:51 am
CarmineD wrote:
When you bundle a free product with another product and sell for less than the price of the one, you lose a new sell on the giveaway and lose money on the sale too IF IT SELLS!  Reference DC16 and DC27.

Carmine D.

AND, the bigger issue, you don't get $1000 in new appliance sales to boot.  Get the picture?  Like dyson dib you have to take off your dyson color glasses to see clearly.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #13   Oct 27, 2009 9:28 am
CarmineD wrote:
AND, the bigger issue, you don't get $1000 in new appliance sales to boot.  Get the picture?  Like dyson dib you have to take off your dyson color glasses to see clearly.

Carmine D.

I already knew the picture that you would paint. 

When your favorite is given away it is for good purpose.  When Dyson is given away they are criticized.

At least Dyson whooped ole Hoover into submission.  Same as they did to you.

This message was modified Oct 27, 2009 by HARDSELL
CarmineD

Reply #14   Oct 27, 2009 12:51 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I already knew the picture that you would paint. 

When your favorite is given away it is for good purpose.  When Dyson is given away they are criticized.

At least Dyson whooped ole Hoover into submission.  Same as they did to you.

HS:

As usual you DON'T get it.  Look dyson fan, a DC16 retails for $149-$199.  Same as the HOOVER Platinum Linx cordless stick.  BEST BUY, which has the contract with dyson since April 2002, doesn't gift a DC16.  Doesn't sell them anymore in their stores.  They were the most returned vacuum product it ever sold, not counting DC11, which was discontinued.  BB gifts the HOOVER Stick with purchases of $1000.  If that doesn't say that HOOVER wins, then you are as obtuse as your ID10 T posts.

Carmine D.

Replies: 5 - 14 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42