Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > What makes the vacuum cleaner inustry so important?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
procare

What makes the vacuum cleaner inustry so important?
Original Message   Sep 4, 2009 1:20 pm
Since I have been coming to this site I have seen bickering about Dyson, Hoover and a few other brands. But to me it is why is this industry important and why all the different brands and models. My feeling is that they are necessary to maintain a way of life. Cleanliness, health, and just plain keeping everything nice. We started with dirt floors, went to rock and wood floors. Floors were kept up with brooms for hundreds of years. With the advent of electricity the vacuum cleaner came along  with elecrtic motors.

Just so you know , I am aware of the types of early sweepers from the late 1800's.

So the question I put to you is why is it so important to be a bagless society of Dyson? Why Bagged? Why a particular brand over another? Give me and anyone that comes to this site some answers as to why and how is one better than another?

I am watching and listening.                                                                  Procare           54 years in the business and still going strong.

Replies: 28 - 37 of 149Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: What makes the vacuum cleaner inustry so important?
Reply #28   Sep 5, 2009 6:50 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Lucky1:

Amen, thanks to customers like HS and vacuum makers like dyson who cater to them and big box retailers.  Take note:  Circuit City: bankrupt.  Linens-N-Things: bankrupt.  SEARS: Tetering on bankruptcy.  Most big box retailers currently: Struggling.  Why?  GREEDY. 

Carmine D.

Using a vac in the indies store is a very poor test.
CarmineD

Reply #29   Sep 5, 2009 7:58 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Using a vac in the indies store is a very poor test.

Why?  Reasons please.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #30   Sep 6, 2009 9:23 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Why?  Reasons please.

Carmine D.

HI CARMINE

I too ,  would love to hear this one.......please enlighten us on this one HS.

This message was modified Sep 6, 2009 by retardturtle1
DysonInventsBig

Reply #31   Sep 6, 2009 10:23 pm
vacmanuk wrote:

And filters by Dyson have to be replaced eventually so there are not always 'lifetime guaranteed" again dependent largely on the matter of dust picked up per owner and their homes. This is why Dyson filters are washable but even the most washed filter can begin to lose its strength compared to one that hasn't been tainted.

CarmineD wrote:
No, don't think so.  The HEPA pleated post motor filter with fiberglass surface on the DC07 Animal I recently repaired is not washable.  It's replaceable at $40 plus bucks.  The pre-motor filter on this model is washable and dyson recommends on this model every 6 months.  

Carmine D.

Carmine,

Nice try.  True, the older and discontinued DC07 had choke points and choked prematurely if not maintained properly.  The new Dyson’s all have washable filters - a point you hid (oops, I meant to say - overlooked).

DIB
This message was modified Sep 6, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

DysonInventsBig

Reply #32   Sep 6, 2009 10:25 pm

This message was modified Sep 6, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

procare

Reply #33   Sep 7, 2009 12:43 am
I thank everyone that so far has put some input in this thread but you still haven't told me or anyone else why is one better than the other or why the industry is important to everyone.

Bagless vacuums have been around since the beginning. The bagged vacuums have been around also. The idea of how vacuums are designed and made to  work come from different individuals at different times in history. I will tell you of one instance where one individual trusted a man and his idea was used in the industry and he lost out. The idea was take 2 square dishpans and put them together with a motor in it and had a working prototype of the cleaner in 1956. The company was Douglas Manufacturing and wasn't very long after that a new line of vacuums with this design came out. The man was my father and the man was what my Father called a friend from the factory. Some ideas for stonger motors with the same wattage usage was not shown to them and we had some powerful cleaners. I have even seen two mtor vacuum cleaners running around before anyone else had them by 15-20 years.

Dyson took the idea of a Roots blower system and made use in a vacuum. Old ideas and improved it for use in smaller systems. Does that make it better than anything else out there? No. It is giving people something they think they want. Many will not go back to a bagless afterwards,some might. Someone will design what they think is better and sell it to a new group of people. That is the nature of this very important business. Build a better mousetrap and all will buy it. Sorry to burst your bubble all will not buy.

Cyclonic action of a vacuum cleaner is not new. It is used in every vacuum cleaner to this day. It is the nature of the beast. It is who designs their attachments and motors and bag set up or bagless setup up to utilize it best. My 97 year old Father , who has been in the business 64 years and an engineer says that all vacuums lose suction when cleaning . If there is a sytem out there that doesn't ,it doesn't have the performance to clean todays carpet.

CarmineD

Reply #34   Sep 7, 2009 6:48 am
DIB:

I didn't overlook.  I know the current dyson pre-post motor filters are washable and knew and stated that the initial ones were not.  That's all.  Correcting a oversight made here.  That's my hobby. 

BTW, the wash cycle on the current dyson filters is every 3 months from 6 months on the discontinued models.  If the lovely lady with her DC07 Animal had washed the pre-motor filter in the past it would have needed replacement too, like the post motor filter.  Total price for new filters after 4 years about $60.  She got off for $40.  By not washing one of the filters.  So much for the dyson claim of life time filters.  But you overlooked that point.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #35   Sep 7, 2009 10:09 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
HI CARMINE

I too ,  would love to hear this one.......please enlighten us on this one HS.

Real world tests are best in your environment.  I would not test drive an auto on the dealers lot.  I want to drive on the streets and roads as in daily life.

I would not buy stereo/home theater speakers based on their sound in the store.  99.9% of the time they will sound different in the home. 

A television picture will look different in the home than in the store.

I am sure that you and Carmine will figure out why I say this.  If not I will explain.

This message was modified Sep 7, 2009 by HARDSELL
CarmineD

Reply #36   Sep 7, 2009 1:39 pm
Thank you HS.  You just explained why the ORECK in home 30 day free in home trial with no obligation for return is the standard that the industry should follow.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #37   Sep 7, 2009 1:46 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Thank you HS.  You just explained why the ORECK in home 30 day free in home trial with no obligation for return is the standard that the industry should follow.

Carmine D.

Maybe Oreck should drop the program.  I found what a POS it was and returned the XL21.  As you say.  Another refurb hit the market.

The BB stores offer this 30 day trial.  It is the indies who do not without hassle.

Replies: 28 - 37 of 149Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42