Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Lucky1

Vacuum Museum
Original Message   Aug 27, 2009 1:46 pm
Thought the Dyson discussion board would be interested in reading a small article about the Tacony Museum. Also Carmine's old friend.....

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/hit-the-road-jack/hit-the-road-jack/2009/08/new-museum-opens-at-st-james-on-historic-route-66/
Replies: 73 - 82 of 147Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
retardturtle1

Re: Vacuum Museum
Reply #73   Sep 4, 2009 9:21 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Lucky1,

Believe me, I wholeheartedly agree but I do not have that much faith in the makers of a good part of what is on the market. They've got quick, easily acquired profit on their minds and it is obvious in craftsmanship. Sadly, I think it remains all about buy low/sell for the highest the market will bear.

Besides which, what's to buy? How many vacuum makers are investing time in putting out product that is solidly theirs? Who even designs and makes their own PNs or tools any longer? Most of that kind of thing is coming from the same place. Only the names stamped on it are different and if that in the end is the only difference then a savvy shopper can do well for his or her self without worry over having to play the "name game".

There are NO vacuums in the higher price ranges as of late that I believe or even feel might match up to the price asked. As for the lesser priced, I think you buy and, reasonable care considered, may have hope for the best for your buck. The bargain lies in a decent price affording four or five years of use with minimal problems and good performance.

Venson

HI VENSON

Point well made and i agree....even tho i work at a shop , ive yet to see the same match ups. .....above $500 i see no difference  vs a $1000 unit to be honest.  Ive worked on a couple thousand vacs in my very short time....but not all...and have yet to see where the xtra goes. But have seen orecks-hoovers-panasonics-riccars- trash many who cost far more and last 15 + years.....i guess im still wet behind the ears.....a long way to go.  But i really feel  that with the right vac shop you cant/wont go wrong....theyll adress your needs/price and show whats gonna work/do best for you and back it up 100%...in writing and a hand shake...like we do. i love what i do...and was trained/worked with a great man...a vet of the business....i learned to be quiet and listen/watch from the best...and his words were the same as yours...with proper care and service a vacuum will last many many years in most cases ...despite the price.
turtle1

This message was modified Sep 4, 2009 by retardturtle1
dusty

Reply #74   Sep 4, 2009 10:58 pm
Severus wrote:
Perhaps an independent could explain what they do with returns and whether they have to absorb the loss.    My understanding, which could be wrong, is that big stores like Walmart have the ability to dictate terms to manufacturers and the manufacturers share in the cost of returns.  Presumably, an independent has less negotiating power due to smaller volume.  I would assume that a return is repaired if necessary and sold as a used vacuum, possibly at a loss.  Any comments?

Hello Severus,

You're right when you say box stores (not all mind you) have the luxury of sending product back to the manufacturers. It's one reason why many times when you buy from a box store you see a bright piece of paper in the box that states if you have a problem with the product DO NOT return to store but call the manufacturers hotline instead.  The suppliers don't want product back so they'll either troubleshoot over the phone or have you take it to a warranty center if possible.  We rarely go more than a week without getting customers from Wal-Mart or Best Buy asking for help either putting machines together or asking how exactly everything works.

As far as product we sell goes all circumstances are a little different.  If a product is defective out of the box it goes straight back to our supplier and we receive a new piece.  If the customer returns product after a week or two and it's still in new condition we put it on the floor as a demo at a discounted price with full factory warranty.  I have never had a problem with any distributor we deal with not honoring the warranty in such a situation.  If the machine has been banged around and looks like someone needed a garbage truck rather than a vacuum we take the cost of a service off the refund price, service the vac and sell the machine discounted with factory warranty.  Having said all this, our return policy is 30 days and in general most machines aren't used more than a half dozen times at best. I can also count on two hands the amount of returns we take in a year as if we do our job properly and listen to what the customer is wanting there should be no reason for anyone to bring anything back. I should also mention all of our refund policies are mentioned up front and printed on our receipts to avoid any problems should a return be needed.  Keeping customers informed and in the know is the most important thing we can do.

Dusty
DysonInventsBig

Reply #75   Sep 5, 2009 5:07 am
CarmineD wrote:
Name some DIB!  In fact, name ONE!  Can you?  Od is this more of the same meaningless dyson dribble with no evidence. 

Carmine D.

Hey Carmine,

Remember CatLady and the vacuum professional that would not do her right?

I named one.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #76   Sep 5, 2009 6:43 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Hey Carmine,

I named one.

DIB

Not quite, DIB.  She got a brand new MIELE!  Try again.  3 strikes you're out.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #77   Sep 5, 2009 6:47 am
Hello Dusty:

Did you carry and sell DC11 canisters?  If so, what were the results?

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #78   Sep 5, 2009 7:12 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Hey Carmine,

I named one.

DIB

CarmineD wrote:
Not quite, DIB.  She got a brand new MIELE!  Try again.  3 strikes you're out.

Carmine D.

Accuracy has never been your forte.  Yes, she finally got a new vacuum but only after she was not done right.  Other dealers here complained of this dealers behavior.  I cannot remember....  were you for or against the hose replacement hatchet job done by the [upstanding] dealer?

DIB
This message was modified Sep 5, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #79   Sep 5, 2009 7:31 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Accuracy has never been your forte.  Yes, she finally got a new vacuum but only after she was not done right.  Other dealers here complained of this dealers behavior.  I cannot remember....  were you for or against the hose replacement hatchet job done by the [upstanding] dealer?

DIB

DIB:

If accuracy has never been my forte per you, then being blind to the truth is yours.  I was probably the first poster here who messaged Catlady offline with advice on how to proceed.  My advice to her from the start was that she was owed a new product replacement.  But proceed with patience and persistence.  My largest concern with Catlady was never the product replacement by MIELE/dealer.  It was her choice of the the MIELE because of her needs and the expense of bags. 

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #80   Sep 5, 2009 8:01 am
Still 2 strikes left.  Whatcha got DIB.

Carmine D.

dusty

Reply #81   Sep 5, 2009 11:02 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Dusty:

Did you carry and sell DC11 canisters?  If so, what were the results?

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Nope, never sold them and to be honest I'm not actually sure they were ever released in Canada.  The closest we'd have at the moment is the DC20 which doesn't have a turbo.  It doesn't sell as well as the rest of the line....perhaps 1 or 2 a month which is in line with our non powerhead Sebo or the Riccar Starbright.  Not a big market for air only vacuums. 

Dusty
CarmineD

Reply #82   Sep 5, 2009 4:09 pm
dusty wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Nope, never sold them and to be honest I'm not actually sure they were ever released in Canada.  The closest we'd have at the moment is the DC20 which doesn't have a turbo.  It doesn't sell as well as the rest of the line....perhaps 1 or 2 a month which is in line with our non powerhead Sebo or the Riccar Starbright.  Not a big market for air only vacuums. 

Dusty

Thanks for the answer on the DC11 Dusty.

Back to your post for a sec:  As long as you are an authorized dealer for the make, and the customer returns the display/demo to you, you are standing behind the factory warranty when you give it for the maker.  You get the genuine parts at a rack off and give free labor/service under warranty for the maker.  So you are the factory warranty.

BUT...........suppose the used vacuum buyer moves away.  Will the maker/next authorized dealer honor the factory warranty you gave?  Especially if the original buyer [who returned the product to you], mailed the warranty card with their name and date of purchase.  Then, returned the vacuum to you?

Carmine D.

Replies: 73 - 82 of 147Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42