Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > "Green" Vacuum Cleaners . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

"Green" Vacuum Cleaners . . .
Original Message   Aug 20, 2009 8:02 am
Anybody have any ideas about what actually should constitute the basics of a good "green" vacuum cleaner?

I was checking out the Eureka Envirovac's ad claims and specs -- plus some not so favorable customer reviews today. They got me thinking.

Eureka claims that it's Envirovac's 800-watt motor uses less power than the 1200-watt vacuums now quite common on the market. We've had a long run of vacuum cleaners that have served us well using well under 800 watts for many years. So what's the difference?

Is it possible that an efficient 1200-watt vacuum may help get my work finished faster and even out the power consumption question by way of shorter use time? Also keep in mind that the whole issue of a vacuum cleaner's power consumption is highly debatable. Over a year, power used for vacuuming no where near matches the amount of draw by refrigerators, electric ranges and high heat producing appliances within the same span of time.

Better bagged and bagless vacuums do use final filtering medium that may prove a noticeable hit on the wallet if not our ecology. Dumping a dirt bin or water-pan in some ways may lend to saving on what you'd pay for bags although the variable there may hang upon size and price. We use far more paper and plastic by way of other household disposables like diapers and personal paper goods.

The few matters mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg when considering the total question. Maybe an ecologically beneficial vacuum cleaner, or any other appliance for that matter, can be more "green" by way of potential longevity and easy repairability. Biodegradable, recyclable, whatever -- brands and models we've seen endure and provide useful service over long periods of time may be the greenest cleaning machines we'll know by reason of less need for replacement. How do we keep that in the mix while moving ahead?

Venson
Replies: 19 - 28 of 73Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: "Green" Vacuum Cleaners . . .
Reply #19   Aug 21, 2009 3:02 pm
Venson wrote:
I find that issue very important. I'm told that if the rest of the world were to consume on the same level as we, we'd need five more planets to accommodate the waste and pollution. This may make some shrug, but other parts of the world live way less large than many of our lesser funded citizens here. The expansion of industry all round the world makes me wonder how long it will be before mandatory recycling rules will have to be put in place worldwide.

PC Richards' pick-up policy is good for sales I'm sure. Being an apartment dweller and having not the slightest idea as to how to easily dispose of a dead refrigerator, the store's offer clinched the sale. However, I never once thought to ask where my old fridge was going.

Venson

Hello Venson:

Perhaps some of these issues will find their own solution.  Hardcopy newspapers, once thought to be the products that would eventually deplete the country's entire supply of forests, are no longer as relied upon by daily readers as TV and on-line news.  So at least for now the forests are safe. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #20   Aug 22, 2009 6:37 am
The next major breakthrough in vacuum cleaners will be their composition.  The plastic housings and components will be replaced by a material that is just as strong, durable and more eco friendly.  Probably a material already in use for some time in the NASA space program. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #21   Aug 22, 2009 8:19 am
CarmineD wrote:
The next major breakthrough in vacuum cleaners will be their composition.  The plastic housings and components will be replaced by a material that is just as strong, durable and more eco friendly.  Probably a material already in use for some time in the NASA space program. 

Carmine D.

And we all know that the government is not wasteful.  Always looking for ways to save.  
CarmineD

Reply #22   Aug 22, 2009 8:31 am
Absolutely HS.  'Green' as in dollars.  Medicaid has bankrupt the states, Medicare will be bankrupt in 8 years, and Social Security soon thereafter according to current predictions.  The cash for clunkers funded with $3 BILLION in taxpayer money will end on Monday at 8 PM and only $143 MILLION has been paid out to the dealers who rebated cash under the program.  Over 50 percent of the applications have been returned to the car dealers by the Transportation Department, which hired 1000 new Federal employees to process the paperwork 24/7.   And Obama Care is headed for a cliff if both Democrats and Republicans who are listening to their constituents [with an eye on the 2010 elections] have their way.  No wonder we say 'In God we trust' not in Government we trust.

Carmine D. 

vacmanuk

Reply #23   Aug 23, 2009 7:30 am
I owned an Electrolux Envirovac BAGGED upright for a number of months before giving it away. It really wasn't well thought out despite the fact that it claimed to be environmentally friendlier and having the same suction (800 watts) than its bigger sisters and brothers. Based on the UK/European Powerlite uprights, the Envirovac was priced at £80, double the cost price than their basic Powerlite with 1700 watts power. I have one of those basic uprights too and they're really not that bad even though they are cheaply built and very lightweight/flimsy I wouldn't imagine many buying the Envirovac idea because the cost is more than the basic "high power" models that most vacuums come with these days and the synthetic dust bags are more expensive; I'm surprised Electrolux didn't use their old Boss uprights SMS/Washable fabric dust bag as the bags for the Powerlite upright series are based loosely on the old Boss bagged uprights.

For me the most ecologically and environmentally friendly vacuum cleaner I continue to keep and use are the old Hoover Junior models. Yep, it uses a paper dust bag (and some can be converted to using fabric dust bags) which are cheap to buy, the belts are cheap to buy and it does its job of carpet hair and thread pick up without problems. This is why the Junior model was most successful even though it had a pernickety hose and tool set with paltry suction coming out when used. Other downsides is that because it has no filtration system it is an unhealthy machine but it only has 300 watts of power so it is isn't likely to cost much to run. Granted the metal models will take longer to rust but the 1980's models in plastic and metal do provoke some better environmental disposal issues. Although I'm not a fan of Oreck, at least the XL model also has a 350 watt motor too.

The world has been power hungry for years and this is why every company tries to outdo the other in terms of who picks up the best, who is quieter, who is better built. Apart from its electronic floor head this is another reason alone to why I love Sebo's X/Sebo 20 year old Windsor Ensign; it has an 850 watt motor (max to 1000 watts) so in theory, in terms of outright power it is also much more environmentally friendlier against the more powerful competition but also manages to pick up AND contain the dirt in a healthy way. It also has a great hose at the back so it replaces the practical style of the Hoover Junior as well as extra filters that you don't always have to replace (except the main carbon collecting foam filter on the motor) Granted it is not bagless but then I've never read any data about burning dust bags and if they are toxic.

It is however a great marketing skill with the Envirovac. As is Dyson's WEEE law of dumping their own machines; all manufacturers are trying to do similar things but if the machines have been built with early design processes geared to making a machine as earth friendly as possible then brands like ORECK and SEBO should be applauded for continually producing vacuums with low motors.
This message was modified Aug 23, 2009 by vacmanuk
M00seUK

Reply #24   Aug 23, 2009 4:35 pm
A few of my thoughts on 'green' issues and vacuum cleaners...

Certain vacuum cleaners have long been sold on having a powerful motor. The introduction of bagless vacuum cleaners gave this a new angle as with an efferent filtration system, a bagless cleaner can demonstrate a comparable, consistent airwatts figure to that of a bagged cleaner, while using a less power motor, as measure by air watts. Hence Dyson's objection recently with Electrolux marketing a 'green' cleaner:-

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/news.phtml/23245/dyson-slams-electrolux-claims.phtml

'The Ultra Silencer has a 1250W motor. Dyson compares this to its DC24 Dyson Ball with a 650W motor, that in a recent Which? report was said to perform as well as a machine with a motor twice the size.'

In defining which vacuum clearer might be 'greener' than others for energy use, we'd also have to take in to account overall efficiency; how well does it clean to a certain standard in a defined time period - if it takes twice as long with a motor at half the watts, it's generally no better in the power use stakes. Now we're back in the category of how aggressive does a brushroll need to be to do am effective job, while not wearing down the carpet, etc.

Another angle you might measure for bagless cleaners over bagged cleaner is the 'carbon footprint' in the manufacturing, delivering and disposing of bags and filters.

The Dyson 'Recylone' cleaner was mentioned in James Dyson's book, but by all accounts was only on the market for a limited time.  The idea was that once your Dyson clearer was at the end of its working life, you could phone up Dyson and get them to pick it up from your house, free of charge. They'd take the machine apart, sand blast and melt down the components, which would then be used in the manufacture of a new 'Recyclone' cleaner featuring green coloured styling.

Presumably, a number of factors prevented the Recyclone idea taking off. Moving production overseas wouldn't have helped, as loading up a shipping container with old vacuum parts and sending it halfway around the world can't be that efficient. Dyson still offer to collect your old vacuum (any make) for recycling, when you order direct. Primarily due to initiatives under the European Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) legislation which makes manufacturers and retailers responsible for recycling equipment at the end of its working life.

However, I noticed something interesting the other week. I was talking some items to the local disposal site. There, I found a separate container for vacuum cleaners, full of the usual brands - however all the Dyson cleaners were kept away from the container, in a separate pile. I can only suppose that rather than being dumped, the Dyson's are sold on for cash, to anyone who's in the market of refurbing them with new motors or for spare parts, etc. Dyson clearers make up the majority of domestic vacuum cleaners in the UK that have a viable resell value on the second hand market.

So, Dyson earns some 'green' points here by having vacuums that can be reused in this way and hence why the Recyclone proposition was short lived ...but no wonder they're keen to collect their old cleaners for recycling, 'lest there be too many refurbs floating around, depriving them of new sales!

Scott

Reply #25   Aug 23, 2009 6:47 pm
Electrolux Launches New Lean, Green Cleaning Machine

Green by Electrolux eliminates dirty footprints while reducing homeowners' carbon footprint

MISSISSAUGA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - July 2, 2009) -

Editors Note: There is a photo associated with this Press Release.

Green by Electrolux, introduced across Canada today, is the first central vacuum system made with recycled resources. With 93 per cent of the system's plastic parts made from recycled CD and DVD cases, and 77 per cent of the system's parts recyclable, Green by Electrolux is the most eco-friendly central vacuum system on the market.

Green by Electrolux is designed to improve indoor air quality and deliver whole-home cleaning power, while conserving household energy and reducing our carbon footprint. Homeowners can keep both a clean home and clear conscience knowing all aspects of this central vacuum system deliver quality cleaning power, while minimizing the environmental impact on the earth.

"We continually strive to bring consumers innovative homecare solutions," says Scott Ride, President, Electrolux Central Vacuum Systems. "Our Green by Electrolux combines environmentally friendly manufacturing technology with high-efficiency operating functions, placing this central vacuum in a class of its own."

Green by Electrolux offers a greener clean from start to finish:

- The unit and its packaging is made of 75 per cent recycled materials, including 93 per cent of the system's plastic parts. Even the owner's manual is printed on chlorine-free recycled paper.

- 77 per cent of the unit's parts are recyclable, diverting waste from landfills.

- Carbon dioxide emissions are reduced by 183 kg, the equivalent of driving 1,096 kms.

- A powerful flow-through motor delivers high-efficiency cleaning power, requiring 10 per cent less electricity to operate than competitive systems.

- Noise pollution is minimized with one of the quietest operational systems on the market.

"Green is ideal for people who are looking to improve their home with eco-smart products, as well as for those looking to improve their indoor air quality, which is often overlooked," adds Ride.

Green by Electrolux's sleek design is built to perform 20 years or longer - three times the life span of a typical upright vacuum, saving energy and reducing waste in landfills.

Green by Electrolux uses a self-cleaning HEPA filtration system to create a healthier indoor living environment. In addition, this central vacuum system comes equipped with a complete attachment set including an air-powered Active Pickup Brush for use on both hard and carpeted floor surfaces, along with a complete set of ergonomically designed, lighted Premier Tools for cleaning multiple household surfaces.

- - - - - - - - - - -

This vacuum is nothing more than a Eureka CV100A with some recycled plastic content... 

This message was modified Aug 23, 2009 by Scott
Venson

Reply #26   Aug 23, 2009 6:48 pm
Hi MOOseUK/

Thanks. Nonetheless I would like to say that we have many "ultimate" vacuum brands, which usually means high-priced, including Dyson being sold here in the U.S.

Vacuums like Kirby, Rainbow, Filter Queen, Oreck, Aerus, Electrolux, Miracle Mate, Dyson, Miele, Sebo and more are to be found in abundance on eBay either new, used or as refurbs. They sell mostly because they are well-known and specific buyers have been made to believe they are better.

Even the theft rate of vacuum cleaners in department and big box stores has increased to who knows what fold merely due to names, claims and prices.

Regardless, there are many practical-minded people who will settle for used and refurb "name" vacuums than be soaked for the price of the same brand new. I've done this myself and have been quite happy with the result.

Also, biodegradability may be outweighed by length of use potential. The ability to suffer and endure bumps, bangs and the odd tumble downs the stairs means a lot to a lot of people. There are still plenty of all-metal vacuums that provide wonderful service and durability and that for which parts will be available for yet years to come. Some are already 30 years or more old. Though older, many of these can be refitted to up the filtration ante as well.

You and I of course, come from a different points in time. In the past I was quite accustomed to seeing vacuums made by manufacturers of just about any brand that were easily repairable. Matter of fact a lot of vacuums and small appliances got tucked away in the attic as either Mom or Pop was going to get around to either having them fixed or fixing it themselves. If a vacuum's motor merely required new carbon brushes they usually were easily available. A relatively handy owner could find them cheaply and install a new set himself. Now, carbon brush wear usually means replacement of the entire motor.

One of the other issues about "green" is that it seems that less and less of us know what to do any more when it comes to executing simple fixes and more and more of us are denied that possibility by way of device design. My grandfather wasn't a TV repairman but he could identify a burnt out tube, go to our local hardware store and buy a replacement that made us good to go. Only an expert has an idea of which transistor it is that may not be functioning.

It would be great if appliances were composed in a more modular fashion so that malfunctioning components could be discovered, removed and replaced.

Makes me think that getting to be an old geezer has its bright side after all though it's sad to see a younger generation being rendered helpless by "smart" business people.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #27   Aug 23, 2009 8:17 pm
M00seUK wrote:

However, I noticed something interesting the other week. I was talking some items to the local disposal site. There, I found a separate container for vacuum cleaners, full of the usual brands - however all the Dyson cleaners were kept away from the container, in a separate pile. I can only suppose that rather than being dumped, the Dyson's are sold on for cash, to anyone who's in the market of refurbing them with new motors or for spare parts, etc. Dyson clearers make up the majority of domestic vacuum cleaners in the UK that have a viable resell value on the second hand market.

Hello M00seUK:

Perhaps dyson has an agreement with the disposal sites to pick up all the old trashed dysons for dyson's own recycling program.  Thereby saving the disposal sites the added costs of dumping/disposal/wreckage of the trashed dysons and/or paying the sites a nominal fee for the old dysons.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #28   Aug 23, 2009 8:20 pm
PS on my post:  It would behoove dyson to enter into such agreements with disposal sites to reduce the number of used [these are clearly not eligible for refurb] dysons and dyson parts on the vacuum market which ultimately compete with the new dyson vacuum and parts prices.

Carmine D.

Replies: 19 - 28 of 73Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42