Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > "Green" Vacuum Cleaners . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

"Green" Vacuum Cleaners . . .
Original Message   Aug 20, 2009 8:02 am
Anybody have any ideas about what actually should constitute the basics of a good "green" vacuum cleaner?

I was checking out the Eureka Envirovac's ad claims and specs -- plus some not so favorable customer reviews today. They got me thinking.

Eureka claims that it's Envirovac's 800-watt motor uses less power than the 1200-watt vacuums now quite common on the market. We've had a long run of vacuum cleaners that have served us well using well under 800 watts for many years. So what's the difference?

Is it possible that an efficient 1200-watt vacuum may help get my work finished faster and even out the power consumption question by way of shorter use time? Also keep in mind that the whole issue of a vacuum cleaner's power consumption is highly debatable. Over a year, power used for vacuuming no where near matches the amount of draw by refrigerators, electric ranges and high heat producing appliances within the same span of time.

Better bagged and bagless vacuums do use final filtering medium that may prove a noticeable hit on the wallet if not our ecology. Dumping a dirt bin or water-pan in some ways may lend to saving on what you'd pay for bags although the variable there may hang upon size and price. We use far more paper and plastic by way of other household disposables like diapers and personal paper goods.

The few matters mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg when considering the total question. Maybe an ecologically beneficial vacuum cleaner, or any other appliance for that matter, can be more "green" by way of potential longevity and easy repairability. Biodegradable, recyclable, whatever -- brands and models we've seen endure and provide useful service over long periods of time may be the greenest cleaning machines we'll know by reason of less need for replacement. How do we keep that in the mix while moving ahead?

Venson
Replies: 64 - 73 of 73Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
retardturtle1

Re: "Green" Vacuum Cleaners . . .
Reply #64   Aug 26, 2009 3:50 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
RetardT,

I have [mostly] no problems with an opinion.  I do have a problem when you’re posting derogatorily and insinuating or stating something has happened or is happening when it is not.

DIB

P.S.  P.S.  In all fairness, others too, go after Dyson in a derogatory and unprovable way.  And that's the challenge...  to disprove (if and when I want).

DIB

So how do you know its not true?....what proof  do have in your possesion that says diff.....I expressed what i felt /how i viewed things from an opinion point of view..just like you do and have done....on many occasions...and its not taken to heart in any way because its just your opinion and freedom to voice it.....to express it.  so if you can[express]  babble on about rats and pimps/vac dealers.......then you can deal with some dyson point of view opinions...so suck it up buttercup.....its a free world...and we all look forward to your posts /comments /challenges DIB.. [even when you state derogatory or insulting comments or views]..so relax and be happy... cause your our favorite dyson buddy. ...and its just a vacuum....so lets move on shall we. 

turtle1

HARDSELL

Reply #65   Aug 26, 2009 6:23 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Really?  I did a search and found no refurbished ORECK's at Harbor Freight.  Just new ORECK Commercial uprights for $189.  BTW, an excellent price.

Trust but verify.

Carmine D.

As usual Carmine, you try to spin it off.  Here is the description.

Factory reconditioned, factory perfect. 120 volts, 60 Hz, 4 amps; Overall dimensions: 9-1/4" L x 13-1/4" W x 48" H;
Weight: 8 lbs.

WHERE DOES IT SAY NEW?

CarmineD

Reply #66   Aug 26, 2009 6:36 pm
Post the link to Harbor Freight with this ad description. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #67   Aug 26, 2009 6:50 pm
The only ORECK sold by Harbor Freight is the Commercial Upright for $189.  Excellent price.  Why mess with refurbs?  How much could they get?  $100?  What's the business advantage?  Post the link for Harbor Freight if you have it and call me a liar.  Wouldn't you enjoy doing that rather than dilly dallying around with your nonsense posts.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #68   Aug 26, 2009 7:06 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

Your latest post on impugning others' opinions goes right back to you. 

I have a DC07 pink.  After rebates and discounts, it cost me $250.  This price is currently the dyson refurb price for a DC07 pink with a 6 month warranty.  I bought it new September 2006.  It's 3 years old AND has a 5 year warranty.  Still under warranty.  It has about 20 hours of use at most.  For all intents and purposes its brand spanking new.  With the box and users guide.  I can easily sell for less than $250 and/or trade into an indy and the indy sell for less than $250.  Or junk it.  What's to stop me?   

Most of the dyson refurbs sold by retailers today are DC07, DC14, and DC15 models for $230-$270.  Tons of these on the internet and in vacuum stores [visit some indies and see for yourself].  These are also being sold new at retailers at new dyson prices at approximately $100 more than the refurb prices depending on sales and discounts.  I'd OPINE that these refurbs are no longer under their original 2 year warranty.  But no one knows for sure. These may even still have had their 5 year warranty like mine.  Who's to say that these [DC07, 14 and 15] are not also in the junk piles and dumps being bidded on by indies and dyson for resale?  You know for sure?  Or just giving us your opinions like evryone else?

Carmine D.

Hello my dyson friend DIB:

This post got back-treked after your dyson friend HS who ran interference for you.  I brought it forward so you can respond to me on my views and opinions about dyson controlling the refurb market.  I'm curious to hear your arguments about old junked dysons [DC07, 14, 15 and 18] that are refurbed by dyson and sold in the market place at prices that compete with retailers who are still stuck with these same new models on their shelves and inventories.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Aug 26, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #69   Aug 26, 2009 10:05 pm
CarmineD wrote:
The only ORECK sold by Harbor Freight is the Commercial Upright for $189.  Excellent price.  Why mess with refurbs?  How much could they get?  $100?  What's the business advantage?  Post the link for Harbor Freight if you have it and call me a liar.  Wouldn't you enjoy doing that rather than dilly dallying around with your nonsense posts.

Carmine D.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=55730
CarmineD

Reply #70   Aug 27, 2009 6:06 am
You're so right HS.   I feel like a real idiot.  BUT, now that I have your undivided attention, HS let me opine further on the dyson refurb market IN THE USA.

No matter what spin you/others put on the dyson refurb market it's a huge blemish for dyson.  Posters who know better here have said so for years upon years.  Long before the dyson refurb models were 3-4-5 and more years old as they are now.  These are not recycled dysons thru the WEE [UK] program. 

If you OPINE that these old dyson models [as much as 7 years], like DC07, DC14, DC15, DC18 are still new stock finally sold by retailers AND returned by customers to retailers and then by retailers to dyson for refurb, it's a huge loss of dyson sales revenue.  And a huge black eye on dyson.  Which begs the question: Are these new returns for refurb deducted from the dyson sales numbers before financial reporting? 

If you OPINE that dyson/dyson sanctioned refurbers are collecting these OLD tossed models from dumps/disposals after 5-7 years of use and refurbing for sale, then you have all the negative PR/consequences that M00seUK alluded to. 

If you OPINE both, you have one heck of a bad mix and two black eyes for dyson. 

Now, HS, choose your poison.   OR OPINE YOUR OWN FACTS AND CIRCUMSTANCES WRT dyson refurbs in contrast to me and post here.  I'm all ears and eyes.

I apologize for making you post this obvious HF ad which I saw.  But I wanted to make a point with DIB and readers here.  You were running interference, so you got stuck in the bucket, and I wanted to ensure I had your undivided attention.  Thank you.  I did.  

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #71   Aug 27, 2009 1:58 pm
Update on the Cash for Clunkers for Appliances.

Who knows, maybe vacuums will get included. 

Carmine D.

'Clunkers' Sequel Rattles Appliance Producers

The cash-for-clunkers program was so successful in getting Americans to buy new cars that it ran out of money early. Now, a sequel, dollars-for-dishwashers, is coming to an appliance store near you.

But the $300 million program, funded through the federal government's economic stimulus plan, is certain to lack the same pop, said appliance makers and retailers. The program's intent is to spur sales of energy-efficient appliances, but its small size would provide just a minor boost for struggling appliance makers such as General Electric Co., Whirlpool Corp., and Sweden's Electrolux AB.

Unlike the clunkers plan, the program allows each state to pick qualifying models and tailor rebate amounts. Ohio might decide one washing machine qualifies for a $100 rebate, while California picks another for $125.

[Appliance] Bloomberg News

Manufacturers and retailers said they are reluctant to ramp up production or order new stocks until it is clear what models qualify. The Department of Energy, which designed the program, wants states to focus on just 10 categories of appliances carrying the federal Energy Star seal of approval for efficiency.

But other details are still uncertain. States could ask to include up to 46 other types of products, ranging from light bulbs to computers. While rebates are expected to range between $50 and $200, qualifying models and precise rebate amounts won't be provided until late this year or early next.

Electrolux Major Appliances North America is working with several states to shape their programs and is developing related advertising campaigns. "We're going to adjust our production as we see the changes in consumer demand emerge," said Marty O'Gorman, chief financial officer of the unit. "We're ready and geared up."

Guy Minnix, president of Metro Builders Supply Inc. in Tulsa, Okla., with nine outlets in four states, won't know which models to stock until state plans are clear.

"This should create a lot more consumer spending," he said, "but if they make it model-specific, you're kind of taking a guess as to which model to order." He worries about ordering too many products that end up not qualifying for a rebate.

Executives at Northland-Marvel, a division of Britain's Aga Rangemaster Group PLC, met this week to discuss how to accelerate plans to get efficiency ratings on its wine coolers and refrigerators. The Greenville, Mich., company currently doesn't have any that qualify.

However, Brad Stauffer, senior vice president of operations, said he is concerned that a surge of sales of higher-priced, energy-efficient models could be fleeting. "For many consumers," he said, "it always comes back to price points and features."

Some of the nation's biggest appliance makers are lobbying to make the plan rules uniform nationwide. They said the unknowns and the varying rules by state will make the program harder to explain to shoppers, in turn making it tougher to win sales.

The Car Allowance Rebate System, the official name for the clunkers program, was a roaring success with $3 billion allocated and nearly 700,000 vehicles sold. In Brazil, a stimulus program that offered a tax cut on household appliances, triggered a 20% boost in sales since April. Like automobiles, appliance-making requires significant activity, from procuring high-quality steel, production of compressors and other complex components, to transportation and warehouse stocking.

U.S. sales of major appliances have been sliding for three years, with shipments down 10% last year and 15% so far this year, according to the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers.

The program "will provide consumers a unique opportunity to save money on energy-efficient appliances," said Dave McCalpin, chief marketing officer for GE Appliances. He said Fairfield, Conn.-based GE is working with state governments to adopt rebate programs that rely on Energy Star ratings.

Some states are considering standards that exceed Energy Star requirements, a move GE opposes. "We believe it is very important that rebate programs are consistent across the country," Mr. McCalpin said.

The stricter proposals underscore criticisms that the Energy Star program is not tough enough in raising energy efficiency. The Environmental Protection Agency is looking at revising the program's standards. If it does so after the states set their rules, the rebates could end up subsidizing some appliances that are not as energy efficient as they could be.

[Wring out Cash]

Write to Timothy Aeppel at timothy.aeppel@wsj.com and Paul Glader at paul.glader@wsj.com

Venson

Reply #72   Aug 27, 2009 5:06 pm
Thanks Carmine. I think careful guidelines need to be drawn as I see Electrolux AB's big appliance sales problem is that they cost too much. Neither it, Miele or Bosch to name a few more deserve brownie points. Let them bring their prices down a bit.

I just got my first look at a Lowe's out in Jersey City. I was knocking around before an interview and got to thinking about dishwasher prices. (What is life without dreams?)

It would seem that Electrolux could stand offering more dishwasher models competitively priced nearer the old American standard brands like Whirlpool, Maytag, GE and Frigidaire. There were several decent "American" models bearing those brand names that ranged from $300 to $600. Yeah, I'd say give the folks a break by making the purchase of a decent appliance easier to achieve. But -- if more extravagance is required by the individual consumer, let the cost of $1,000 or more price tags fall upon his or her own purse. No government intervention is needed in a case like. I in no way feel, as an instance, dishwashers like Fisher & Paykel and Kitchen-Aid's drawer models, supposedly specialty items running from $1.000 to $1,500 easily, deserve to be included as rebate candidates.

Regarding money or damage saving features, it also baffles me that useful anti-leak design for dishwashers -- a system that shuts off the machine's water supply when a leak is detected -- should have to be a feature that requires an arm and a leg to buy.

As for vacuums, there should also be price ceilings. To get relief on vacuums priced up to $650 as not a bad deal. This would be a boon to big-boxers and indies providing reasonably priced goods. However, I see the purchase of vacuum models in the $1,000 range and above as not deserving. Let their manufacturers also consider dropping their prices.

Hopefully, there will be a ceiling, per type and average price, on all appliance rebates comparable to what was claimed to be in place for automobiles. There should also be a clearly expressed plan and line of responsibility for the disposal and recycling of appliances being replaced by benefit of a rebate plan.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #73   Sep 6, 2009 3:11 pm
The advisor to President Obama charged with promotion of "green products" resigned yesterday in controversy.  If you interested here's the story and link:

The White House said Van Jones, one of President Barack Obama's advisers, is resigning amid controversy over past inflammatory statements.

Mr. Jones, who has promoted "green jobs," was linked to efforts suggesting a governmental role in the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks and to derogatory comments about Republicans.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125221129315388817.html?mod=djemalertNEWS

Carmine D.

Replies: 64 - 73 of 73Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42