Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson HEPA filter use in non HEPA models

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
bucks03

Dyson HEPA filter use in non HEPA models
Original Message   Jul 27, 2009 10:13 am
I wondered if its possible to use a HEPA filter day in a Dyson model which doesnt use a HEPA filter normally.  I made an enquiry about my DC04 model a few years ago and asked if I can put a HEPA filter in this machine as my DC04 doesnt come with a HEPA filter.  Dyson said no cos the motor in their 'Absolute' models has a slightly higher suck to it to cope with the HEPA filter media.   Has anyone heard of this before?   I didnt bother anyway but updated the filter to the yellow cartridge one as opposed to the horrible piece of cloth thing they had put in it as standard as that was letting out so much carbon dust.    Another thing is that I notice my machine lets out some carbon dust emissions - the back spine of the machine has black colour on it (the post motor filter is 7 years old) Dyson do claim it is lifetime.  Has anyone with a DC04 or any other model notice the carbon dust?
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Venson

Re: Dyson HEPA filter use in non HEPA models
Reply #1   Jul 27, 2009 11:52 am
Hi bucks03,

I do not own a Dyson but by similar experience may be helpful. For a long time -- come the Model G -- the American Electrolux used no pre-motor or exhaust filters. The company's assumption was that it's own multi-ply disposable bag solved all filtration problems. Actually, it never did.

I own a Model 1205 Lux and inquired here if I fitted the bottom of the bag chamber with a foam filter would I up the cleaner's filtration possibilities. Good ol' MOLE said no for the same reason Dyson gave you. My 1205 has less pulling power than later yet similar models and the addition of a filter may impair its overall performance as the cleaner, was designed without pre- or after-filters being intended.

What manufacturers say is basically based on averages. There is no real way of knowing, home to home, user to user, what parts of any vacuum may give out or need replacement over a given course of time. And believe me -- seven years is a long time.

As for the carbon dust, have you been removing and cleaning the post-notor filter? If it is clogged resulting resistance to air passage will force exhaust air through any available avenue.

Peronally, I'd take the machine to a vac shop I trusted and let them give it a quick looking over. Replace the after filter if it is indeed clogged. At seven years of age replacement as opposed to washing, if possible, is the better path as there is no way of knowing how much the material that the filter is composed of has degraded due to age.

Best,

Venson
bucks03

Reply #2   Jul 27, 2009 1:25 pm
Hi venson,

The post motor filter is indeed 7 years old but I have never washed this as Dyson advise not to touch this filter so the only time it was touched is when is when I had to put a new duct on my DC04 as it broke last year, this involvd stripping the machine down to change the parts over.   The only filter I wash is the pre motor filter - the one on top of the cyclone assembly but the post motor filter is left alone.  I have noticed that my machine has always leaked carbon dust,  even when brand new.  I'm not that bothered as the machine works fine but just wondered if anyone with the same machine had noticed this.  I also have a DC05 machine which doesnt leak any carbon dust but personally I think that the cylinder DC05 has a better seal to prevent this.

CarmineD

Reply #3   Jul 27, 2009 1:56 pm
Hello Venson, Buck03:

I don't recall the previous Lux 1205 dialogue.  Agree with MOLE and dyson but to a point.  Instead of a filter do this:

Cut a piece of a quality HEPA rated bag to fit the filter size needed.  Place this on the outside/surface of the existing final filter that exhausts to the room air.   See if this keeps the black carbon in check and on the filter/bag and out of the air.  Clean and replace the retrofitted HEPA bag filter as needed.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #4   Jul 27, 2009 2:38 pm
Bucks03,

FYI - I own the DC05 Motorhead and love it.

I’m unfamiliar with the DC04, Carmines bag idea sounds like a clean route.  Although I do wonder if the HEPA bag may be a choke point (when new) or become a choke point quickly (with use).  You may be able to use 3M’s [HEPA] Filtrete material too, (cut from a/c-heat home filters).  The Filtrete may not capture everything without choking the vacuum, so inspect/replace as needed, and just live with it.

DIB
This message was modified Jul 27, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

vacmanuk

Reply #5   Sep 10, 2009 7:17 pm
Well I've had a DC04 and I've used HEPA filters in the standard model. It can take it depending on the AGE of the DC04 in question as Dyson improved the model as the years went on and bought out an Absolute model to counteract sales of the HEPA filters in normal models. Depending on the age where the motor goes (i.e. underneath the bin) you need to find out if you can fit the filter into the holder as the early models have a slimmer platform whereas the newer models have a raised platform (i.e. the Absolute model) where the HEPA filters just sit into the cradle easily.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42