Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Keeping the "cheapies" . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Keeping the "cheapies" . . .
Original Message   Jul 25, 2009 2:38 pm
Not everyone in need of a vacumm can afford to buy the more costly niche brands. Though vacuums with big names may perform well and have special features, there are less costly machines that can perform as well or better.

However many of these carry merely one-year warranties. To that I say, such is life -- buy what you can.

That said, do keep in mind:

1. Your vacuums has a voice -- listen to it. Note the sound of your machine when its bag and/or filters are clean. Also note the sound of your machine when its half to almost full. Think ahead, Do not let your vacuum's inability to pick up be the deciding factor for changing bags, emptying or cleaning filters -- or checking for clogging.

2. Be nice to it. Don't yank your canister or upright vac around furniture to move it toward you. The two seconds it takes to pick it up and set it down where you need it may save you more than a few bucks on hose repair or replacement. Do not yank on the cord to disconnect the cleaner from an electrical outlet.

3. Yes we're all waging war on dirt but most vacuums aren't Sherman tanks. Depending on type some vacuums dealing with surface litter, the odd lost coin or marbles, spilled dry cereal and, come Christmas, pine needles fare better than others. Use of a good old broom and dust pan to quickly gather up large amounts of debris that can lead to clogging or damage to the machine should be a first course of action.

4. Regularly check filters, bags and belts and also keep a decent supply of "consumables" tucked away so that you don't get caught short at crunch time -- like when you you have to spruce up your place on short notice.

Keeping these things in mind will add to the longevity any vacuum and make the cost of your investment, whether a couple of hundred bucks or a thousand, all the more worth it.

Venson
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Keeping the "cheapies" . . .
Reply #1   Jul 25, 2009 3:27 pm
I'm going to add my tuppence worth here, so to speak and it really boils down to filter maintenance. I've noticed that quite a few consumers chuck out their machines only because the filters can't be replaced. I've also posted this on Fixya:

There are ways around to renew your existing filter even if the manufacturer or the user manual states that the filter cannot be washed.

You see, any filter can actually be washed - if it is a single cloth filter - as opposed to a micro pleated section of many layers sewn together. If you have such a filter, a single cloth filter which the user manual says cannot be washed, this is a blatant lie. Remove the motor filter as normal (usually found at the bottom where the paper bag goes) if it is embedded with dirt and wash under a hot tap of water with either household washing up liquid or soap. Once the filter has been completely cleaned, place the filter into a pillow case and chuck into an electric dryer on a low heat. Instead of waiting 24 hours normally for a filter to dry to room temperature, you'll cut your waiting time by a day simply by allowing the gentle heat from the electric dryer to circulate around the pillow case which holds your vacuum cleaner filter. Once the filter is completely dry to the touch and does not feel damp in any way, install back into the vacuum cleaner.

I have also done this with HEPA paper filters which apparently are not washable according to the manual, and to stop the plastic cartridges from bouncing off the walls of your electric clothing dryer/tumble dryer put an extra towel or cloth into the pillow case to minimise damage. What is then revealed is a new, dry and clean filter which can be used again instead of spending lots of money trying to source a new one.

At the same time, if your vacuum cleaner has a soft bag, take it off and put it into the washing machine to give it a clean lease of life - but you won't need to put it into a pillow case to dry in the electric dryer - simply chuck the bag in to ensure it gets dried properly before putting it back onto your vacuum cleaner - make sure you remove any plastic parts however to avoid melting!
CarmineD

Reply #2   Jul 27, 2009 9:09 am
As for the cheapies, one of my all time favorites is HOOVER TEMPO.  Last October I bought a TEMPO, HOOVER/MAYTAG model from BEST BUY for $70 and posted about it here in the Reviews section.  I use it as often as the ORECK.  Since I vacuum everyday, it gets more than average use even with the ORECK in use.

Yesterday, when I replaced the bag [Honeywell brand] I check the pre and final filters.  Pre-motor is pristine white just like new.  Let me repeat: JUST LIKE NEW.  The final filter had black stains from the carbons.  So I changed it.  Using a final filter designed for a WT.  It cost several bucks on sale at TARGET during a closeout of the filter brand.  I cut the filter to size to fit.  Had leftover. 

A strange thought struck me.  For $70 [now since the Consumer Reports top rating $80 plus] and 10 months usage [probably more if I were not OCD] with a $2.00 filter i'ts new again.  Dyson offers a midget vacuum for $700 with digital motor that keeps the final filter clean for 7 years.  Big deal.  In 7 years my full size TEMPO costs me $200 with a generous supply of bags and filters.  Dyson costs $700 plus who knows amount much more.  Innovation?  Not if I'm the judge.  More like marketing hype.  Dealer dyson?  Yeah right.  Dyson thinks dealers are dumb.  MOre importantly, James thinks people are dumb.

Carmine D.

Just

Reply #3   Jul 28, 2009 3:15 pm
Great advice,

If I may add.  I had a cheap-o Eureka with a cup filter.  I would wash it and then use the hair dryer to dry it.  All ready to re-install in about five minutes.

vacmanuk

Reply #4   Aug 8, 2009 10:21 pm
You need to be careful if you are using a hair dryer as too much concentration on one side of a cup with a bonded filter to it can start to melt; many years ago I did that with an old Electrolux dust cup in my Super broom (a nasty low powered stick vac, suction only in the UK). That's why an electric tumble dryer is easier as the air circulates around the whole filter when placed in a pillow case and towel.
CarmineD

Reply #5   Aug 9, 2009 6:45 am
WRT filter maintenance, especially for bagless brands, as they are washed and dry [whether by air/delicately by hair dryers on low and cool air settings] the filtering capacity diminishes.  If your brand boasts "lifetime" filters and you are like me, slightly OCD about keeping $20-$40 dollar filters clean and fresh, the lifetime will fall off considerably.  Filter shrinkage, which allows unfiltered air with dirt, to leak past.  Opening of filter pores which does the same. Etc.  Hence, the reason vacuum makers add the caveat not to wash cloth bags and filters but to lightly brush and vacuum clean only.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #6   Aug 9, 2009 10:13 am
CarmineD wrote:
WRT filter maintenance, especially for bagless brands, as they are washed and dry [whether by air/delicately by hair dryers on low and cool air settings] the filtering capacity diminishes.  If your brand boasts &quot;lifetime&quot; filters and you are like me, slightly OCD about keeping $20-$40 dollar filters clean and fresh, the lifetime will fall off considerably.  Filter shrinkage, which allows unfiltered air with dirt, to leak past.  Opening of filter pores which does the same. Etc.  Hence, the reason vacuum makers add the caveat not to wash cloth bags and filters but to lightly brush and vacuum clean only.</p><p>Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I agree and that is why I did not include filter washing in my original post. Unless the manufacturer specifically suggests washing -- brushing filters clean, suction cleaning them or using the blower outlet if your vacuum has one is usualy the wuser thing to do.

Best,

Venson
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42