Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Cat and Dog hair/dander and allergies

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Nette

Cat and Dog hair/dander and allergies
Original Message   Jul 24, 2009 6:51 pm
I just found this site. I really need to get a new vacuum cleaner. Right now I just have a Eureka Mighty Mite with a HEPA filter. I have recently taken in a long-haired chihuahua and a cat (for a friend who is not able to care for them any longer). I am allergic to (and have also grown very fond of) both the cat and dog and I also have quite bad dust, mold, and pollen allergies. I live in an older split level house: the two upper floors are bare wood with no rugs and the lower two floors are covered with wall-to-wall very-low-pile commercial carpet. The cat (bless her) is generally content to voluntarily stay in the basement all of the time with the exception of just one or two very brief morning strolls each day to the next two higher floors. She sheds what seems to a cat neophyte like myself to be an enormous amount of fur but I'm told by friends who are cat owners that it is a normal amount. The chihuahua just wants to be in the same room with me although I have kept her out of the bedrooms and bathroom on the top floor. I have looked at quite a few vacuum cleaners from the very inexpensive to Miele and Lindhaus and I still am unsure of what to get. I've never had to deal with pet hair and dander before. What would work best for pet hair and dander on low-pile commercial carpet and still be good for bare wood floors and have a good filtering system for allergens? I do know that I would like the self sealing type of bag that is in the Miele (and perhaps other brands?) because of my allergy problems. I can spend up to $850 if I have to but it would be much better for my budget to spend less. I'm sorry for the long-winded description. Advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Replies: 30 - 39 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vernon

Re: Cat and Dog hair/dander and allergies
Reply #30   Aug 8, 2009 11:06 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Vernon,

Did you find yours in a shop or online?

Venson

Venson,
I purchased my perfect canister through a distributor

Vernon
CarmineD

Reply #31   Aug 9, 2009 6:51 am
There is a definite lesson to be learned from Nette's case.  If you have health sensitivities, a 30 second test run in the store is not the best trial for a decision to buy.  Nothing like in-home for a few days.  And, it can be costly to return the purchase with a 20 percent penalty fee.  I don't know all the facts and circumstances but from what I do know it would appear that Nette buying a display model should not be charged a return fee of 20 percent.  The store owner is allowed to make his/her own rules and regulations on vacuum sales.  I would not support this one unless Nette/the user returned the vacuum long after buying with considerable use/wear and tear.

Carmine D. 

Venson

Reply #32   Aug 9, 2009 10:47 am
Hi Carmine,

It is true a shop owner can and may write the rules as regradrs their establishment but he customer has hte right to say no and look elsewhere. Per my recall, Nette could not have had the vacuum all that long before posting about the purchase and the problem.

Twenty percent is excessive. I make it a habit to get an understanding about return policy before I buy.

Though the vacuums recommended were certainly good, I think persons with hypersensitivity to dust might better consider central vacuums if at all feasible. I am not fully schooled as to installation costs but a decent CVS in a split-level home of average size with installation might run the same as the cost of high-end portable vacs like Miele and Sebo.

Though not an allergy suffer, on the other hand I'd think a supply of toss-away dust masks might be a good thing to keep around the house if a portable vac is what you have to use and maintain and you are very sensitive.

Venson

PS -- for any number of reasons I am highly reluctant to suggesting Rainbow.
CarmineD

Reply #33   Aug 9, 2009 3:44 pm
Hi Venson:

If I recall MOLE suggested a refurbed CVS but I don't think Nette responded.

Many years ago I caught pneumonia from airborne dirt/germs.  Making me more prone to the disease after.  In the vacuum business, dirt is a part of every day life.  So I resigned myself to using the face masks for repair work, which as the doc said if I had done in the first place, I would not have caught it. 

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #34   Aug 10, 2009 5:21 pm
My suggestion would be the Miele Callisto by a mile. It meets every requirement posted and if bought at a store vs Online it squeaks under the pricepoint. Note: The Callisto is much better than the Cat/Dog Miele which is based on a 10+ year old machine.
vacmanuk

Reply #35   Feb 18, 2011 4:20 pm
Nette wrote:
I've had allergies all of my life and I am aware (and have tried most) of the various treatments available. I already do quite a bit for allergies in regard to indoor air quality: e.g. HEPA room air purifiers throughout the house and on the HVAC system, carpet and upholstery treatments, etc. These are quite helpful. (I have also purchased products recommended by Allergy Buyers Club with mixed results.) Unfortunately, the Sebo Felix does not seem to work as well at filtration as other vacuums I've had and the difference is very noticeable in regard to my allergy symptoms when I use the vacuum.

SEBO have just announced (certainly here in the UK, anyway) that the Felix will be available with a new charcoal filter suitable for pet owners. It fits under the bag just like the normal lift out microfilter. This should combat smells - mine arrives next week, so I'll report back!
Trebor

Reply #36   Feb 20, 2011 9:01 pm
The Miele Titan lists at 499.00 the P/N is the narrower version w/o height adjustment (517?) A hepa filter can be added. It has the same motor as the larger canisters, tool storage is external, and the hose grip is not as nice, but a lot of vacuum for the money.
vacmanuk

Reply #37   Feb 22, 2011 12:32 pm
Trebor wrote:
The Miele Titan lists at 499.00 the P/N is the narrower version w/o height adjustment (517?) A hepa filter can be added. It has the same motor as the larger canisters, tool storage is external, and the hose grip is not as nice, but a lot of vacuum for the money.

Have a look at http://www.buzzle.com/articles/is-the-miele-titan-vacuum-a-good-buy.html

It actually explains why the S2 Titan is expensive.
Trebor

Reply #38   Feb 22, 2011 7:55 pm
Sorry, the Titan is the red one, the Delphi is the white w/o the hepa filter which can be added. $499.00 out the door at most dealers even of they cannot advertise them at that price

Nettie, you might also consider a Miele universal upright, a stick vac on steroids. You can get a power nozzle or a turbo nozzle if you need it.
This message was modified Feb 22, 2011 by Trebor
vacmanuk

Reply #39   Feb 26, 2011 8:17 am
vacmanuk wrote:
SEBO have just announced (certainly here in the UK, anyway) that the Felix will be available with a new charcoal filter suitable for pet owners. It fits under the bag just like the normal lift out microfilter. This should combat smells - mine arrives next week, so I'll report back!

Absolutely brilliant - no smells of dog hair come back into the room with this fllter type fitted on the Sebo Felix. Suction and power not tampered with either - still as powerful. For those interested, the product number is 7185ER.
This message was modified Feb 26, 2011 by vacmanuk
Replies: 30 - 39 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42