Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
retardturtle1

panasonic
Original Message   Jul 17, 2009 5:50 pm
panasonic mc-cg885  canister  now on sale at WALLY. 249.99.....

i thought this was a dealer only item? i feel dizzy.....say it aint so.

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: panasonic
Reply #1   Jul 18, 2009 6:41 am
Hello 'turtle1'

Are these in the stores and on the shelves and/or just on-line internet sales?  I was recently at a Wal*Mart store in Vegas which carries a plethora of new vacuums, floorcare products, supplies and parts, and no pano's in sight. 

Carmine D.

Panasonic Consumer MCCG885 Canister vacuum white
Panasonic Consumer MCCG885 Canis...

This message was modified Jul 18, 2009 by CarmineD
retardturtle1

Reply #2   Jul 18, 2009 8:34 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello 'turtle1'

Are these in the stores and on the shelves and/or just on-line internet sales?  I was recently at a Wal*Mart store in Vegas which carries a plethora of new vacuums, floorcare products, supplies and parts, and no pano's in sight. 

Carmine D.

Panasonic Consumer MCCG885 Canister vacuum white
Panasonic Consumer MCCG885 Canis...

hi carmine

internet sales so far....thought panasonics were a dealer only item? wallys a retailer....what gives. i guess i shoulda expected this when kmart got kenmore on the shelves...i mean why online only....whats stoping them from flooding the shelves with them.
CarmineD

Reply #3   Jul 18, 2009 8:45 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine

internet sales so far....thought panasonics were a dealer only item? wallys a retailer....what gives. i guess i shoulda expected this when kmart got kenmore on the shelves...i mean why online only....whats stoping them from flooding the shelves with them.

Hello 'turtle1"

Here's my perspective:  As a result of the economic malaise, consumers have altered their buying/shopping habits.  The phenomenon is called 'trading down."  People that frequented the ritzy retailers can't any more and instead shop Wal*Mart.  It is the number one retailer in 2008 [see thread on Research] and the others are all far far behind.  Economists believe the trading down effect is permanent and these shoppers will continue to shop at Wal*Mart long after the economy rebounds.  If consumers can buy pano's on-line from dealers then why not on-line from Wal*Mart?  Especially with W*M beating all the big box retailers handily and predictions of more of the same to come.  Pano is in business to make money.  If W*M provides the best venue then go for it.  It's only a dealer item when it's a dealer item.  And unfortunately nothing is forever.  Take an aspirin and get some sleep.  You feel better in the morning!

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #4   Jul 18, 2009 10:55 pm
Hi Carmine,

I believe Panasonic is out to make money but when are they going to pick up a new stick with the canisters? Except for the main unit -- IF they have employed the new bag cage -- this machine is all things Kenmore from power nozzle to hose.

Knowing better, I'd wait for a sales at Sears and get the equivalent for $50 less. Except for the bagless can Panasonic now has out, it has not been offering anything that I see as a real deal as far as lower-priced canister vacuums go.

It's all about the same as when Eureka and Hoover put together vacuum lines for chains like Monty Wards.

I find this all surprising as Panasonic at one point in time made clean-air urights (the design is still emulated by many manufacturers) and canisters that cleaned well and were quiet in operation before noise level became a big selling point.

Whomever is in charge at the actul place of manufacture for Kenmore and Panasonic these days appears to be merely rolling the dice year to year. Panasonic is still employing old Kenmore styles. They take a Kenmore can body from two or three years back and shove it out on the shelves with a PN also from somewhere back in the day and treat it all as if new. They could at least do a new mold or two for the PNs to at least let the public think they're getting something new. Even Electrolux AB has done that.

Past and present, only Panasonics uprights appear to be the part of the vacuum line that you don't see in Sears. However those too got a little far fetched -- especliacy the models with two suction inlets at the cleaning head.

Generally, I disregard the Panasonic brand save for occasions when a particular price advantage is offered because as far as cans go they left off any semblance of originality since the latter '70s.

Thinking on that wonderful French phrase, "It's a poor rat that has only one hole," I see Panasonic as more than blessed in that it has many irons in the fire like entertainment electronics, microwave ovens, etc.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #5   Jul 19, 2009 6:20 am
Hello Venson:

I agree.  Uprights are Pano's forte not canns.  But, as MOLE pointed out here some time ago, all the canns are morphing into each other just the names and prices are different. 

When the new "d" brand launched and needed a tried, tested, and proven motor for its $500 plus bagless upright, it went no further than the cheapest Pano single fan motor on the market.  The motor is an icon of the vacuum industry for decades.  For an engineer who employs the majority of the free world's engineers [475 but who's counting] that saying's something for the old tired Pano vacuum brand.  It's dependable, reliable and buyers' get their money's worth.

Carmine D.  

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42