Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner
Original Message   Jun 25, 2009 10:06 am
In the press today:-
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23711862-details/Dyson+with+more+revs+than+F1+racer/article.do

Product details:-

• Motor goes at 106,000rpm 'three times faster than any other motor'
  • 200 watt motor
  • 65/38 air watts (switchable power??)
  • £129.99 GBP RRP, powered brush version £149.99

I think the devil will be in the other details, as we learn them. Presumably it's using the Dyson Digital motor? From the photo, the collection bin looks slightly deeper and has a more prominent release switch. It has improved max suction (DC16 has 36 air watts) so I'm presuming (nay hoping) that it can run in standard mode for more than 5mins and switch to a 'turbo' mode as needed?

I have prefectly good DC16, but I could be tempted by something with a longer run time and twice the already impresive suction for car cleaning.

Replies: 321 - 330 of 340Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner
Reply #321   Sep 4, 2009 6:49 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
If you 86’d your victim-entitlement mentality you would not feel like the manufacturers of out-of-reach products and “the man” are keeping you down.

DIB
retardturtle1 wrote:
Out of reach...nah...its called commonsence /   or go to big lots and dust off the dysons / handhelds that arent moving.....and if your the sucker that [reached] paid over $25 for one...then the true victim here is you.......so stop the babble  and face the facts....dyson is counting on niche collectors to buy his products...and you came thru.-  one born every minute....and once again you came thru.....-dyson gave you and so many ...the shaft... everybody else has moved on...but your still waiting for a kiss from dyson that isnt coming.....-were only here to help you dib....-your our favorite collector-.... were always looking out for you...your posts/ replies have kinda become our little hobby.

turtle1

Everyone should have a hobby.  Mine is exposing the deceptive practices of dishonest little men (a segment of vac shop owners, their employees and the bad-mouthing collectors).

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #322   Sep 4, 2009 6:57 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Everyone should have a hobby.  Mine is exposing the deceptive practices of dishonest little men (a segment of vac shop owners, their employees and the bad-mouthing collectors).

DIB

I know the reason you call it a hobby, DIB.  There is no money in it for you.  It's a losing proposition.  Like the latest 5-10 minute operating time on dyson's hand held for $220-$270, not counting the $60 for the attachments.

Carmine D.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #323   Sep 4, 2009 2:34 pm
If you happen to be a consumer reports.com subscriber, you can see their ratings of hand vacs at the following link:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/laundry-and-cleaning/vacuum-cleaners/small-vacuum-ratings/ratings-overview.htm

The Dyson DC16 is one of the products rated.  It ranks 8 out of the 12 products tested.   It got fairly good marks, but unfortunately, the very short battery life seriously limits it's usefulness.  Apparently it's a bit of a screamer too in terms of its sound level. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #324   Sep 4, 2009 2:57 pm
Thanks Severus.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #325   Sep 4, 2009 7:02 pm
So, one must conclude from the CR tests/rankings that the highest priced handheld of all handhelds "dyson" at $150-$200 gets no higher than the bottom 30 percentile.  8th out of 12.  Pitiful.  Still hope: A $220-$270 dyson handheld.  Let's see what that manages from CR in the next go round. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #326   Sep 4, 2009 7:58 pm
Which handhelds ranked lower?

How many uprights were ranked?

HARDSELL

Reply #327   Sep 5, 2009 6:54 pm
CarmineD wrote:
So, one must conclude from the CR tests/rankings that the highest priced handheld of all handhelds "dyson" at $150-$200 gets no higher than the bottom 30 percentile.  8th out of 12.  Pitiful.  Still hope: A $220-$270 dyson handheld.  Let's see what that manages from CR in the next go round. 

Carmine D.

If the Oreck finished 27 out of 29 that is worse than pitiful.  Bottom 1%.
CarmineD

Reply #328   Sep 5, 2009 8:12 pm
HS:

ORECK is still stuck in your craw.  First, you are mistating the facts.  There are 40 uprights tested.  Second, you can't go by the numerical ranking.  Obviously you either didn't read SEVERUS's post to DIB, the sour puss, in which he said dyson DC28 tied with KIRBY on the numerical score of 67 for the 10th spot.  But either due to d coming before K or CR's generosity it gave the 10 spot to dyson.  I think it was a sympathy call.

Now back to your mistated facts.  ORECK scored a numerical score of 60 along with several others including dyson's DC18.   The top score, as SEVERUS pointed out to you already, is 73.  The bottom score [number 40] is 39.  So, doing the math, and using the CR curve with 73 as the best, ORECK scored in the 82 percentile for uprights.   Now, I'm sure even you can understand this.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #329   Sep 5, 2009 8:33 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

ORECK is still stuck in your craw.  First, you are mistating the facts.  There are 40 uprights tested.  Second, you can't go by the numerical ranking.  Obviously you either didn't read SEVERUS's post to DIB, the sour puss, in which he said dyson DC28 tied with KIRBY on the numerical score of 67 for the 10th spot.  But either due to d coming before K or CR's generosity it gave the 10 spot to dyson.  I think it was a sympathy call.

Now back to your mistated facts.  ORECK scored a numerical score of 60 along with several others including dyson's DC18.   The top score, as SEVERUS pointed out to you already, is 73.  The bottom score [number 40] is 39.  So, doing the math, and using the CR curve with 73 as the best, ORECK scored in the 82 percentile for uprights.   Now, I'm sure even you can understand this.

Carmine D.

Could you give those same type statixtics for the DC31?
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #330   Sep 6, 2009 1:15 am
In all honesty, the handheld vacuum ratings don't look particularly useful.  It looks to me like CR was struggling to come up with a way to compare the things.  The designs are so different (cordless/corded, rotating brush/suction only, etc.) that the overall rankings don't seem all that useful.  The highest rated handheld, the Bissell Pet something or other, gets a poor score for handling pet hair.  The lowest rated is a Hoover with a rotating brush model/ corded model which does great on pet hair, but not surprisingly doesn't do as well on bare floors.  The only truly useful information included is the charge/use times for cordless models, and the information about the Dirt Devil Kone models that were recalled for sending projectiles at the user. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 321 - 330 of 340Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42