Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Vacuum Scam at Big Box Retailers

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
CarmineD

Vacuum Scam at Big Box Retailers
Original Message   Jun 2, 2009 8:46 am
It has come to my attention that several of the big box retailers in my area have discovered a new vacuum scam perpetrated by some deceitful customers.  The buyers are purchasing high end vacuums, new in the boxes, and then returning for full refunds.  Why?  They claim when the vacuums are returned that several attachments, usually 2 or 3, are missing from the cartons.  Rather than obtain the missing attachments from the retailers/companies, these buyers opt to get full refunds on the purchases.  One customer has perpetrated this scam 3 times at the same big box store location in the last several months.  Wonder what the persons are doing with the "slickied" attachments?

Carmine D.

Replies: 14 - 23 of 23Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Vacuum Scam at Big Box Retailers
Reply #14   Jun 9, 2009 1:31 pm
Hello Trebor:

Welcome back.

With more retailers using "roving" employees who work at different store locations, the same occurs.  Retailers have to ask customers with returns for refunds of a prescribed threshold amount to complete a form either in hard or soft copy.  No confidential information but certainly name and address/zip code.  The refund information [item, date and amount] can be warehoused on line for tracking and audit purposes.  This serves as a deterrent to those so inclined to scam the retailer.    Of course, customers can make up information and circumvent the reliability of the refund form.  But this can be eliminated by asking for a driver's license or form of ID to verify the name on the form. 

Tough times call for tough actions.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #15   Jun 9, 2009 1:48 pm
either way,in the end ...they inflate prices to adjust for any and all losses across the board....pass them on to us. And all is good again....in wallyworld
CarmineD

Reply #16   Jun 9, 2009 2:21 pm
So true, retardturtle1.  BTW, I messaged you privately.  Enjoy.

Carmine D. 

retardturtle1

Reply #17   Jun 9, 2009 3:55 pm
CarmineD wrote:
So true, retardturtle1.  BTW, I messaged you privately.  Enjoy.

Carmine D. 

in this bleek economy we live in....youll notice all has been wonderful at  WALLYWORLD ..and only WALLYWORLD....btw..i mesgd u back carmine...not sure if it went thru.
CarmineD

Reply #18   Jun 9, 2009 5:25 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
in this bleek economy we live in....youll notice all has been wonderful at  WALLYWORLD ..and only WALLYWORLD....btw..i mesgd u back carmine...not sure if it went thru.

Hello retardturtle1:

I rec'd it, thank you.  A bit of ancient history before your time here:  A regular poster, no longer here, and I had a running debate on retailers.  Two in particular at the time were neck and neck on stock price:  Best Buy and Wal*Mart.  Tho, not a Wal*Mart shopper/buyer, I liked the future prospects from a financial news perspective: future sales, profit and stock price.  Why?  The USA was at the tippy top end of an unsustainable bubble shored up by bloated housing prices, greedy banks and run-a-muck deregulated investment firms.  A very bad mix for financial stability.  It all had to burst.  When it did, I opined that Wal*Mart, the oft ridiculed budget basement non-union China sourced vendors conglomerate, had to clean up.  It did and it has.  Sadly, some few people equate respect for financial success in bad times as admiration/support for the company.  Very different things.  One can admire and praise its success w/o liking and supporting it. 

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #19   Jun 9, 2009 7:54 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello retardturtle1:

I rec'd it, thank you.  A bit of ancient history before your time here:  A regular poster, no longer here, and I had a running debate on retailers.  Two in particular at the time were neck and neck on stock price:  Best Buy and Wal*Mart.  Tho, not a Wal*Mart shopper/buyer, I liked the future prospects from a financial news perspective: future sales, profit and stock price.  Why?  The USA was at the tippy top end of an unsustainable bubble shored up by bloated housing prices, greedy banks and run-a-muck deregulated investment firms.  A very bad mix for financial stability.  It all had to burst.  When it did, I opined that Wal*Mart, the oft ridiculed budget basement non-union China sourced vendors conglomerate, had to clean up.  It did and it has.  Sadly, some few people equate respect for financial success in bad times as admiration/support for the company.  Very different things.  One can admire and praise its success w/o liking and supporting it. 

Carmine D.

HI CARMINE
i gotta say i see your point  ,.and agree that they are to be admired for the powerhose that they are....how they have weathered many a storm,,,i dont hate them at all or wish they would fall....you just gotta ask when is enough ,enough? how many stores do we need and now that were all mega rich...lets focus on the stores we have and improve them from within.....
CarmineD

Reply #20   Jun 10, 2009 6:38 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
HI CARMINE
i gotta say i see your point  ,.and agree that they are to be admired for the powerhose that they are....how they have weathered many a storm,,,i dont hate them at all or wish they would fall....you just gotta ask when is enough ,enough? how many stores do we need and now that were all mega rich...lets focus on the stores we have and improve them from within.....

Hi retardturtle1:

The bad, unlimited expansion at the expense of smaller businesses, stores and historical preservation [battle fields in Virginia] comes with some good not just for the US but for the world:  jobs for persons who otherwise would be unemployed, increased standard of living for underdeveloped countries and societies, and budget prices for American families and households on spending plans.  Of note, many of the W*M execs and even industry analysts are saying that US consumers who traded down in the current recession [bypassed shopping at the high end/upscale retailers for W*M] will likely change their shopping habits.  Instead of reverting to their old buying and shopping preferences once the economy improves, they will stay as long-time shoppers at W*M.  Not a pleasant thought for the US retail industry.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #21   Jun 10, 2009 7:25 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
HI CARMINE
you just gotta ask when is enough ,enough? how many stores do we need and now that were all mega rich...lets focus on the stores we have and improve them from within.....

Interesting question and many local county and city officials have to deal with.  I lived in Prince William County Virginia for many years. It was a suburb of and bedroom community for Washington DC that expanded by leaps and bounds in the 80's, 90's and 2000's.  Locals and nature preservationists were concerned as the pristine landscape was torn down for new homes and businesses.  Then many of these structures were vacated and shuttered.  Right after the tech bubble burst and before the housing bubble burst, local PWC leaders passed ordinances to limit the square footage of new big box retail stores.  Worked well and forced many businesses to lease, buy, and occupy smaller already shuttered buildings rather than build new larger ones.  Here in North Las Vegas which is part of Clark County, the community leaders could have learned a valuable lesson from the Prince William elder statesmen/women.  Homes and businesses look like ghost towns.  Lost tax revenues, jobs, and spending.  Expansion was too fast too soon. 

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #22   Jun 10, 2009 3:56 pm
HI CARMINECarmineD wrote:
Interesting question and many local county and city officials have to deal with.  I lived in Prince William County Virginia for many years. It was a suburb of and bedroom community for Washington DC that expanded by leaps and bounds in the 80's, 90's and 2000's.  Locals and nature preservationists were concerned as the pristine landscape was torn down for new homes and businesses.  Then many of these structures were vacated and shuttered.  Right after the tech bubble burst and before the housing bubble burst, local PWC leaders passed ordinances to limit the square footage of new big box retail stores.  Worked well and forced many businesses to lease, buy, and occupy smaller already shuttered buildings rather than build new larger ones.  Here in North Las Vegas which is part of Clark County, the community leaders could have learned a valuable lesson from the Prince William elder statesmen/women.  Homes and businesses look like ghost towns.  Lost tax revenues, jobs, and spending.  Expansion was too fast too soon. 

Carmine D.

yup..nothing more sad than a once  thriving town square you remember as a kid ,,,that has turned into an episode of LIFE AFTER PEOPLE....but on a lighter note...id be pretty ok with Wally if they would at least do something to fix their awful customer service and put a person in every dept...and make them stay ...not leave...so if by chance a customer needs help...or has a question....like the WALLY in the commercials we see all the time...i want that one...where its our WALLY and they are there to to help us....striving to do better  each and everyday...and in the backround ...NO LONG LINES THAT ARE MOVING.....ahhhh i do love THAT WALLY.
This message was modified Jun 10, 2009 by retardturtle1
CarmineD

Reply #23   Jun 10, 2009 7:12 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
yup..nothing more sad than a once  thriving town square you remember as a kid ,,,that has turned into an episode of LIFE AFTER PEOPLE....but on a lighter note...id be pretty ok with Wally if they would at least do something to fix their awful customer service and put a person in every dept...and make them stay ...not leave...so if by chance a customer needs help...or has a question....like the WALLY in the commercials we see all the time...i want that one...where its our WALLY and they are there to to help us....striving to do better  each and everyday...and in the backround ...NO LONG LINES THAT ARE MOVING.....ahhhh i do love THAT WALLY.

Hi retardturtle1:

In recent years, before the 2008 recession, W*M conducted studies and surveys to learn how many items customers shop for in one store visit and how long they want to spend shopping.  Also, how long its customers say is a reasonable time to cash out and leave.  W*M also wanted and tried to convince all its products vendors to use bar codes on all the cartons so merchandise can be tracked from vendor to the warehouse to the W*M store and then to the final sale.  These are all issues that are pertinent and relevant to its customers and shoppers store experiences and exact inventory control throughout the product shipping and sales cycle. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 14 - 23 of 23Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42