Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > A moment's irritation . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

A moment's irritation . . .
Original Message   May 26, 2009 10:41 am
A most interesting (and irritating) thing just happened. As I may have mentioned I'm job hunting and during my morning perusal of Craig's List I came across this ad:

Now Hiring!!
Come join our 95 yr old international Co. is opening its doors in Elmont!
*20 hardworking and outgoing cust reps needed now!
*No exp nec, full training provided
*$475-$600 per week depending on position
Call today start tomorrow 516-502-4640

I placed a call and the young man answering did so merely by announcing, "Employment." Rather curious that no company name was mentioned I thought.

After my specifically stating that I might be interested but needed to know the specifics of the job he ignored the question and asked instead where I lived. I was also asked if I had a car to get to and from work with. Another curious question but public transportation on Long Island is not the greatest.

Anyway, I made an appointment but first decided to check out the address I'd been given, 1542 Hempstead Turnpike, Elmont, NY on Google Maps.

Well, it turns out that this is the address of the Kirby Vacuum Corporation of New York. Kirby headquarters already has a perfectly good "customer service" division and I'm sure it doesn't need twenty more folks on Long Island for that purpose.

My beef is why not just say that you're looking for sales persons and be done with it. I thought I'd share this little farcical attempt at subterfuge as part of my "Let's Not Buy Kirby" campaign. Kirby reps unfortunately do not have a good rep for being forthright with customers and apparently don't even appear to be very upfront with prospective employees either.

If you want to push $1,600 or higher vacuums in this economy, you've got to do way better. Kirby will be definitely getting a copy of this.

Venson
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
retardturtle1

Re: A moment's irritation . . .
Reply #1   May 26, 2009 12:04 pm
hi venson..... i sooooo feel your pain...my boss came from kirby...and his father did to....his dad opened his own vac store and son helped him run it...but never sold any kirbys out of it....?dad retires...son takes over ,,,ego and all.....and arent we the  luck ones.
CarmineD

Reply #2   May 27, 2009 6:41 am
Venson wrote:
A most interesting (and irritating) thing just happened. As I may have mentioned I'm job hunting and during my morning perusal of Craig's List I came across this ad:

Now Hiring!!
Come join our 95 yr old international Co. is opening its doors in Elmont!
*20 hardworking and outgoing cust reps needed now!
*No exp nec, full training provided
*$475-$600 per week depending on position
Call today start tomorrow 516-502-4640

I placed a call and the young man answering did so merely by announcing, "Employment." Rather curious that no company name was mentioned I thought.

After my specifically stating that I might be interested but needed to know the specifics of the job he ignored the question and asked instead where I lived. I was also asked if I had a car to get to and from work with. Another curious question but public transportation on Long Island is not the greatest.

Anyway, I made an appointment but first decided to check out the address I'd been given, 1542 Hempstead Turnpike, Elmont, NY on Google Maps.

Well, it turns out that this is the address of the Kirby Vacuum Corporation of New York. Kirby headquarters already has a perfectly good "customer service" division and I'm sure it doesn't need twenty more folks on Long Island for that purpose.

My beef is why not just say that you're looking for sales persons and be done with it. I thought I'd share this little farcical attempt at subterfuge as part of my "Let's Not Buy Kirby" campaign. Kirby reps unfortunately do not have a good rep for being forthright with customers and apparently don't even appear to be very upfront with prospective employees either.

If you want to push $1,600 or higher vacuums in this economy, you've got to do way better. Kirby will be definitely getting a copy of this.

Venson

Hi Venson:

KIRBY has cleaned up its act since Warren Buffett purchased, but apparently there are still rogue managers who try to slip by the truth with deceit and subterfuge.  May I suggest that you send a copy of your letter/email to Warren Buffett at Berkshire Hathaway, the parent company of KIRBY.  Buffett will put an end to this KIRBY nonsense in Elmont, NY and elsewhere in the USA.

Here's a link for BH and to KIRBY via Scott & Fetzer with location addresses/telephone numbers and email addresses.  BTW, note the new salesperson for KIRBY on its Web Page.

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 27, 2009 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #3   May 27, 2009 7:50 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

KIRBY has cleaned up its act since Warren Buffett purchased, but apparently there are still rogue managers who try to slip by the truth with deceit and subterfuge.  May I suggest that you send a copy of your letter/email to Warren Buffett at Berkshire Hathaway, the parent company of KIRBY.  Buffett will put an end to this KIRBY nonsense in Elmont, NY and elsewhere in the USA.

Here's a link for BH and to KIRBY via Scott & Fetzer with location addresses/telephone numbers and email addresses.  BTW, note the new salesperson for KIRBY on its Web Page.

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/

Carmine D.

Top of the morning Carmine,

Thanks for the extra info. I left the message at the Kirby site but will also leave it at Berkshire Hathaway.

Best,

Venson
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42