Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Mister_Bojack

stinky vac bags
Original Message   May 22, 2009 11:08 am
I'm in a house with 4 dogs, 1 cat, and a Miele Capricorn. The bags tend to get quite odiferous before they're even half full and the activated charcoal filter can't keep up. I even tried hosing the bag down with Febreze and drying it out before using it, but that just makes it smell worse.

Have any of you tried the Arm & Hammer bags? Are they any good? Other than that, I'm tempted to go to an aquarium store and buy a box of Zeolite granules.
Replies: 1 - 43 of 43View as Outline
Venson

Re: stinky vac bags
Reply #1   May 22, 2009 11:24 am
Hi Mr. Bojack,

Wow, you've got a houseful! I don't now how much bags will help but as a suggestion you might try something different at the problem's source if your cleaning mainly carpeting . . . .

Mix one cup of borax with two cups of cornmeal. Sprinkle it on your carpet and let it sit for an hour or two and then vacuum. Borax has a great deoderizing capacity.

You can also try putting a teaspoon or two of borax in the cleaner's bag. I own a Capricorn and a Tango and would find myself hard pressed to choose high-filtration bags other than those by Miele.

Best,

Venson
This message was modified May 22, 2009 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #2   May 22, 2009 12:56 pm
Maybe it's time for all new filter changes to accompany the new paper bags?  Perhaps a vacuum servicing too to refresh/restore the new vacuum smell back to life.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #3   May 22, 2009 3:30 pm
Carmine,

Often you and others here claim dog smell is not an issue with bagged vacuums.  Can you or anyone link a manufacturers web page (to here) where they claim dog smell is a [proven] non-issue?

DIB

retardturtle1

Reply #4   May 22, 2009 3:36 pm
i agree with all of the above...especially the full service w filters. ..not positive but doesnt arm@hammer also make a filter, and if so couldnt u modify one to be used  along with  your pre motor filter  [to keep the odor out of motor]  and then one along with your after motor filter? just a thought.
Venson

Reply #5   May 22, 2009 5:35 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
i agree with all of the above...especially the full service w filters. ..not positive but doesnt arm@hammer also make a filter, and if so couldnt u modify one to be used  along with  your pre motor filter  [to keep the odor out of motor]  and then one along with your after motor filter? just a thought.

Hi,

I checked out the Arm & Hammer site but found nothing there for Miele. (Remarkably, they supply a filter for the Dyson DC07). My main gripe with Miele -- as always -- is that bags and filters are way too expensive. However, I can't deny that, as a system, they work wonderfully and I would not want to get into a fuss about warranty should I call for repair while still under coverage.

This time I think I'd bite the bullet and replace the filter too, especially if it's been in use for a while. There sould be an alert on the Capricorn to suggest replacement of its after-filter. Be sure to reset it if you put a new one in.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #6   May 22, 2009 5:50 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Carmine,

Often you and others here claim dog smell is not an issue with bagged vacuums.  Can you or anyone link a manufacturers web page (to here) where they claim dog smell is a [proven] non-issue?

DIB

I've never made such a statement.  I don't recall anyone else making that statement here.  Odors are issues for all vacuums.  Some vacuums, like most bagless, more so than others, like bagged.  The reason that original equipment and replacement parts makers, like Arm & Hammer and Honeywell, design and market filters and paper bags that reduce/eliminate odors.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #7   May 22, 2009 7:40 pm
Carmine,

If I got that one wrong I apologize.  But I would of swore you said something to such effect.        DIB

CarmineD

Reply #8   May 22, 2009 9:35 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Carmine,

If I got that one wrong I apologize.  But I would of swore you said something to such effect.        DIB

Not nice to swear, unless it's your left hand on the bible and your right hand in the air.  Short of that, I wouldn't.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #9   May 23, 2009 1:58 am
Venson wrote:
Hi,

I checked out the Arm & Hammer site but found nothing there for Miele. (Remarkably, they supply a filter for the Dyson DC07). My main gripe with Miele -- as always -- is that bags and filters are way too expensive. However, I can't deny that, as a system, they work wonderfully and I would not want to get into a fuss about warranty should I call for repair while still under coverage.

This time I think I'd bite the bullet and replace the filter too, especially if it's been in use for a while. There sould be an alert on the Capricorn to suggest replacement of its after-filter. Be sure to reset it if you put a new one in.

Venson
kinda seemed like a good idea at the time....and nothing worse than a stinky vacuum......or hey heres a thought.....how about u use a filtrete cloth bag,cut and trim to fit  your aft motor filter...set that piece in first then filter on top of it..its thin enough not to create any clearence issues,.will capture the worst exaust first and can be changed out often w ease...youll get alot of filters out of those bags..
CarmineD

Reply #10   May 23, 2009 6:57 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
kinda seemed like a good idea at the time....and nothing worse than a stinky vacuum......or hey heres a thought.....how about u use a filtrete cloth bag,cut and trim to fit  your aft motor filter...set that piece in first then filter on top of it..its thin enough not to create any clearence issues,.will capture the worst exaust first and can be changed out often w ease...youll get alot of filters out of those bags..

Worth a try, for sure.  The use of the filtrete liner [before/after] for the exhaust filter will most probably muffle the motor noise and restrict the air flow out of the vacuum.  The added questions are:  Will there be adverse affect on suction and over heating of the motor? 

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #11   May 23, 2009 6:40 pm
i see your point.....i do believe you have saved me from some future problems....thank you.  guess i better rethink this one...gonna bug me till  i do.
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #12   May 23, 2009 6:48 pm
I just got a new power nozzle for my old Hoover Celebrity that I hadn't used in about two years... the last time I used it, it was in a home that had a dog.   Let me tell you, when I turned that sucker this morning, I was almost knocked over by the smell of the fermented dog hair that came forth...  I changed the bag instantly!  I only have one cat, but my Miele Plus has never smelled bad at all!  And the filters are not nearly as good as a Capricorn.  My litter box has a Zeolite filter on the top... seems to work great!  Just bought a new one this morning! 
DysonInventsBig

Reply #13   May 24, 2009 10:21 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Carmine,

CarmineD wrote:
Not nice to swear, unless it's your left hand on the bible and your right hand in the air.  Short of that, I wouldn't.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

If only you were as righteous as your are religious.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #14   May 25, 2009 6:47 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Carmine,

If only you were as righteous as your are religious.

DIB

Hi DiB:

I categorize your above comment right up with this one from you:  "Glad to hear steering has benefits for you too.  Changing directions is a bonus over the 1884 sweeper (vacuuming) way.  FYI, your vacuum sacrifices pick-up for steering and is more Dyson-like than you realize or care to admit."

DIB

You're always good for a hardy laugh.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #15   May 25, 2009 8:04 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi DiB:

I categorize your above comment right up with this one from you:  "Glad to hear steering has benefits for you too.  Changing directions is a bonus over the 1884 sweeper (vacuuming) way.  FYI, your vacuum sacrifices pick-up for steering and is more Dyson-like than you realize or care to admit."

DIB

You're always good for a hardy laugh.

Carmine D.

More twisting by Carmine.
CarmineD

Reply #16   May 25, 2009 8:37 am
HARDSELL wrote:
More twisting by Carmine.

Your posts provide the best laughs after DiB!

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #17   May 25, 2009 12:50 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Your posts provide the best laughs after DiB!

Carmine D.

Correct.  Many laughs for all when you are caught twisting.
CarmineD

Reply #18   May 25, 2009 1:54 pm
My boxing days HS.  Bob and weave, duck and move. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #19   May 25, 2009 2:06 pm
BTW, HS did you notice that Warren Buffett purchased RC Willey?  You had some very unkind things to say about RC Willey for discouraging purchases of dyson uprights on many rug piles due to the lack of rug height adjustments.  Well, what happened?  Dyson adds adjustments to its uprights, after 20 years, and RC Willey gets bought by the Oracle of Omaha.  More laughs to enjoy here, thanks to you. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #20   May 25, 2009 3:20 pm
CarmineD wrote:
My boxing days HS.  Bob and weave, duck and move. 

Carmine D.

I haven't forgotten about you One Punch Carmine.  One punch and you were flat on your back.  Now it is Punch Drunk Carmine.
HARDSELL

Reply #21   May 25, 2009 3:32 pm
CarmineD wrote:
BTW, HS did you notice that Warren Buffett purchased RC Willey?  You had some very unkind things to say about RC Willey for discouraging purchases of dyson uprights on many rug piles due to the lack of rug height adjustments.  Well, what happened?  Dyson adds adjustments to its uprights, after 20 years, and RC Willey gets bought by the Oracle of Omaha.  More laughs to enjoy here, thanks to you. 

Carmine D.

Just give me the ability to turn off the brush roll (unlike many other brands) and scrub the useless head light.

I have serious that a manual height adjustment contributed to WB's decision.  Also doubt that Willey influenced the adjuster being added.

I also have no doubts that your negative comments about Dyson when you were consulting resulted in you getting the boot.  Have a banana on me Carmine since they are the preferred food of monkeys.

CarmineD

Reply #22   May 26, 2009 6:59 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Just give me the ability to turn off the brush roll (unlike many other brands) and scrub the useless head light.

I have serious that a manual height adjustment contributed to WB's decision.  Also doubt that Willey influenced the adjuster being added.

I also have no doubts that your negative comments about Dyson when you were consulting resulted in you getting the boot.  Have a banana on me Carmine since they are the preferred food of monkeys.

Who's twisting now HS.  You trashed RC Willey on several occasions here as a budget basement store before the big RECESSION hit in 2008.  It's the largest retailer in the West.  Their store staff are honest sincere professionals who don't sell the most profitable brand just because all others do.  Buffett bought the reatiler.  Again, 2 of my favorites.  RC Willey and Warren Buffett.  One location in LV was packed yesterday.  More people and shopper than I've seen in many years in any retailers' stores.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #23   May 26, 2009 12:12 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Mr. Bojack,

Wow, you've got a houseful! I don't now how much bags will help but as a suggestion you might try something different at the problem's source if your cleaning mainly carpeting . . . .

Mix one cup of borax with two cups of cornmeal. Sprinkle it on your carpet and let it sit for an hour or two and then vacuum. Borax has a great deoderizing capacity.

You can also try putting a teaspoon or two of borax in the cleaner's bag. I own a Capricorn and a Tango and would find myself hard pressed to choose high-filtration bags other than those by Miele.

Best,

Venson
hi venson
so where can i get  some borax....and what is borax...heard of it but no clue beyond that...and how does it compare to b-soda...
Venson

Reply #24   May 26, 2009 1:23 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi venson<BR>so where can i get  some borax....and what is borax...heard of it but no clue beyond that...and how does it compare to b-soda...

Borax is hydrated sodium borate, NaBO·10HO, an ore of boron, that is used as a cleaning compound.

Being that it is usually sold as a laundry booster, you should be able to find it in any supermarket that has a good supply of cleaning and laundry products.

Back in the day, many household products sold due to multiple capabilities. A powdered laundry detergent might be used not only for the wash but for the dishes and cleaning linoleum flooring too.

Plain old Ivory soap, in bar form, washed dishes and faces plus laundry on occasion.

Besides being a cooking aid, baking soda -- a deoderizer and mild scouring agent -- can be used to brush teeth, wash out a fridge and soothe heartburn.

Venson
retardturtle1

Reply #25   May 26, 2009 2:58 pm
Venson wrote:
Borax is hydrated sodium borate, NaBO·10HO, an ore of boron, that is used as a cleaning compound.

Being that it is usually sold as a laundry booster, you should be able to find it in any supermarket that has a good supply of cleaning and laundry products.

Back in the day, many household products sold due to multiple capabilities. A powdered laundry detergent might be used not only for the wash but for the dishes and cleaning linoleum flooring too.

Plain old Ivory soap, in bar form, washed dishes and faces plus laundry on occasion.

Besides being a cooking aid, baking soda -- a deoderizer and mild scouring agent -- can be used to brush teeth, wash out a fridge and soothe heartburn.

Venson
would baking soda work just as well as borax..and whats the corn meals purpose......where carpets and vacs are concerned.....ive never heard of this  before...the only thing im familiar with is the damage carpet fresh/pet fresh and similar can do to vac...seen a riccar tandem air destroyed beyond repair because of carpet/pet fresh.....whats the diff....please forgive my lack of knowledge ...and exp.
Venson

Reply #26   May 26, 2009 3:31 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
would baking soda work just as well as borax..and whats the corn meals purpose......where carpets and vacs are concerned.....ive never heard of this  before...the only thing im familiar with is the damage carpet fresh/pet fresh and similar can do to vac...seen a riccar tandem air destroyed beyond repair because of carpet/pet fresh.....whats the diff....please forgive my lack of knowledge ...and exp.

Hi retardturtle1,

Per my grandad, "There's more than one way to skin a cat," meaning there are lots of way to solve problems. Depending upoon your age you might not be aware of some of the plain and simple old fashioned ones.

Prior to the time we were rendered helpless by TV ads swearing that only this or that product could remedy a household problem, people were dealing with odors, tarnish and stains. Floors and rugs were kept clean too with only a broom in the house. Here we are -- new day but some of the same old problems. It would seem that some of the same old solutions will still work.

The dry cornmeal is for absorbency. I've used borax and liked the result but you're perfectly free to try baking soda. Doesn't matter what you use as long as the job gets done.

As for Carpet Fresh, I have tried it but haven't bought it for years as I see it as an unecessary expense. But this I'll say for sure, it is not as harmful to vacuum cleaners as a lack of common sense is.

Venson
retardturtle1

Reply #27   May 26, 2009 5:25 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi retardturtle1,

Per my grandad, "There's more than one way to skin a cat," meaning there are lots of way to solve problems. Depending upoon your age you might not be aware of some of the plain and simple old fashioned ones.

Prior to the time we were rendered helpless by TV ads swearing that only this or that product could remedy a household problem, people were dealing with odors, tarnish and stains. Floors and rugs were kept clean too with only a broom in the house. Here we are -- new day but some of the same old problems. It would seem that some of the same old solutions will still work.

The dry cornmeal is for absorbency. I've used borax and liked the result but you're perfectly free to try baking soda. Doesn't matter what you use as long as the job gets done.

As for Carpet Fresh, I have tried it but haven't bought it for years as I see it as an unecessary expense. But this I'll say for sure, it is not as harmful to vacuum cleaners as a lack of common sense is.

Venson
Venson..thanks for the insight...my friend.
gonna get some cornmeal and borax....here in the south all homes would normally have cornmeal in the pantry....well they do ..except mine..guess i found the one southern peach...that doesnt know how to cook....so i kinda use the pantry as my vac room/play room....but she loves to clean house and is open to my vac expieriments....no matter how bad it turns out....so i guess its a fair trade and its still our first year so ......
CarmineD

Reply #28   May 26, 2009 6:16 pm
Hi Venson:

Thanks for the info from CR on reviews vice their testing/rating.  I excerpted one part here,  just a short statement, to share.  It conforms and confirms what I posted about "contrived" and "manipulated" reviews by users.

• Users and manufacturers may also try to skew the results by intentionally posting biased reviews themselves or through others. Some reviewers could actually be shills.

As I posted about the HOOVER WT Anniversary reviews, I found it interesting that the bulk of the poor reviews came immediatedly after the Consumer Reports rated it number One in its March 2009 edition.  As with the above statement to show their own brands and models in a good light, shills for companies can do the opposite with other brands: Pan them.

Thanks Venson.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #29   May 26, 2009 8:41 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:

Carmine is scared to use baking soda with his Oreck.  It doesn't do harm to Dysons.
CarmineD

Reply #30   May 26, 2009 8:57 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Carmine is scared to use baking soda with his Oreck.  It doesn't do harm to Dysons.

Wrong HS.  I don't need the baking soda to neutralize the odor from yellow lab.  The HOOVER [TEMPO] and ORECK [XL CLassic] bags work just fine. 

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #31   May 27, 2009 3:59 pm
hiHARDSELL
well i tried your idea and i gotta say it worked great....in vac bag at home,in carpet,and at work....really nice freshness to the air in conjunction with the hepa ac filter...thanks
HARDSELL

Reply #32   May 27, 2009 4:43 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
well i tried your idea and i gotta say it worked great....in vac bag at home,in carpet,and at work....really nice freshness to the air in conjunction with the hepa ac filter...thanks
I am glad it worked for you.  Don't tell Carmine. He is either used to the smell and doesn't notice it or his smeller is diminishing.
CarmineD

Reply #33   May 27, 2009 5:55 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I am glad it worked for you.  Don't tell Carmine. He is either used to the smell and doesn't notice it or his smeller is diminishing.

HS:

Wrong again HS.  Mine works better than most.  I can guess a woman's fragrance when standing close by and always get it right!  Makes a wonderful impression on the ladies regardless of their age. 

Carmine D.

Model2

~ It Beats...as it Sweeps...as it Cleans ~

Reply #34   May 27, 2009 6:24 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:</p><p>Wrong again HS.  Mine works better than most.  I can guess a woman's fragrance when standing close by and always get it right!  Makes a wonderful impression on the ladies regardless of their age.  </p><p>Carmine D.

'...and sometimes you wear L'air du Temps...but not today...'

~ However Clean - Hoover Cleaner ~
HARDSELL

Reply #35   May 27, 2009 7:03 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

Wrong again HS.  Mine works better than most.  I can guess a woman's fragrance when standing close by and always get it right!  Makes a wonderful impression on the ladies regardless of their age. 

Carmine D.

The ladies that you associate with most likely wear the same toilet water that is standard in the LV cat houses.
CarmineD

Reply #36   May 27, 2009 7:17 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
The ladies that you associate with most likely wear the same toilet water that is standard in the LV cat houses.

EUREKA! Another pet reference! 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #37   May 27, 2009 9:40 pm
Cats are buying houses in Las Vegas -- realy?
CarmineD

Reply #38   May 28, 2009 6:57 am
Venson wrote:
Cats are buying houses in Las Vegas -- realy?

Hello Venson:

Yes, cat houses are legal here in Nevada.  The reason in part that President Obama warned the money mongers of Wall Street that they can't go to LV on the taxpayers' dime.  Not enough cat houses to satisfy the greedy gropers.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #39   May 28, 2009 7:39 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

Yes, cat houses are legal here in Nevada.  The reason in part that President Obama warned the money mongers of Wall Street that they can't go to LV on the taxpayers' dime.  Not enough cat houses to satisfy the greedy gropers.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #40   May 28, 2009 7:46 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

Carmine D.

Car houses are the oldest known profession.  They always survive the worst financial conditions.  I wonder if WB owns a few since this would be a model investment using his strategy.

CarmineD

Reply #41   May 28, 2009 1:57 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Car houses are the oldest known profession.  They always survive the worst financial conditions.  I wonder if WB owns a few since this would be a model investment using his strategy.

No, not a chance.   Owns KIRBY.  Stake in TTI.  A dyson buy-out is not even on the radar screen yet by WB.  If you know Buffett and Munger's buying strategy, they always buy well run and well managed companies.  Why?  They always leave the existing management in place after the buy-out.  Your company doesn't meet mustard.  Not even close.  Dyson is badly run, loosing money year over year [if not suction] bleeding cash for daily expenses with too many unrelated unprofitable products, markets, and research ventures that exhaust precious resources [time, people and money] and diminish underlying value. 

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #42   May 28, 2009 2:25 pm
Model2 wrote:
'...and sometimes you wear L'air du Temps...but not today...'

Recommended for evenings, perhaps a good choice for the cat ladies.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #43   May 31, 2009 7:17 pm
I've often found a tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda helps for smelly bags. I'm surprised that the Miele Air clean filter isn't minimising pet hair odour. If you have an Active Air Clean filter, that won't do it - Miele's HEPA filter (blue cartridge) is a lot better at coping with pet hair odour.
Replies: 1 - 43 of 43View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42