Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Anyone have anything positive to say about dry carpet cleaners?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Mister_Bojack

Anyone have anything positive to say about dry carpet cleaners?
Original Message   May 15, 2009 11:50 am
I was never very impressed with Oreck's dry carpet cleaner and I wanted to try the Host products and also the machine that Sebo makes. Do either of these work well? I'm not interested in using the wet carpet extractors of any kind. Are these dry technologies a lot of hype?
Replies: 1 - 10 of 18NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Anyone have anything positive to say about dry carpet cleaners?
Reply #1   May 31, 2009 7:58 pm
DON'T BELIEVE WHAT THE MAKERS TELL YOU. I discovered the Sebo system only a few years ago even though Im pleased to say Ive had an original Sebo X1 Automatic for about 14 years. The fact is, you don't actually need to buy the Sebo rolling machine. As the videos show on Sebo.co.uk, the Sebo X model (and to a latter extent the latest Felix/Dart  which Sebo UK don't show in its mechanics) can rub the powder into your carpet without suction/suction being cut. This can be done if you undo the hose connection to the bag by the grip ring/secure grip whilst on the Felix/Dart you can also do the same thing by removing the top of the hose to the bag. Then both uprights become rolling machines without suction and the brush rolls on both are pretty good at rubbing the powder into the carpet. If you don't own a Sebo upright you can still, in theory use any upright that uses a clean fan system and a hose at the back being removed.

The powder once rubbed into carpets will remove soiling very lightly. However what Sebo don't tell you is that if you have already purchased the powder, you can get heavy stains out by simply rubbing the powder in with the back of your hand. I've been using this powder for a long time now and its general non-toxic formula means its kind to my hands (even though I suffer from bad dry skin)> the more you manually rub into the carpet with your hand the more you'll find that the stain should disappear. I was initially disappointed the first time I used the powder and with my Sebo's nothing came out. I decided to do it by hand and found that the powder actually works. Then you vacuum the area out normally afterwards. In the UK we can buy boxes of this powder (replacement bags are easy to buy after, therefore just dropping the bag in) where a stiff brush has been added into the lid. Overall compared to Oreck's powder, the Sebo DuoP is worth its weight in gold and should be considered by all.

Model2

~ It Beats...as it Sweeps...as it Cleans ~

Reply #2   May 31, 2009 8:30 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
DON'T BELIEVE WHAT THE MAKERS TELL YOU. I discovered the Sebo system only a few years ago even though Im pleased to say Ive had an original Sebo X1 Automatic for about 14 years. The fact is, you don't actually need to buy the Sebo rolling machine. As the videos show on Sebo.co.uk, the Sebo X model (and to a latter extent the latest Felix/Dart  which Sebo UK don't show in its mechanics) can rub the powder into your carpet without suction/suction being cut. This can be done if you undo the hose connection to the bag by the grip ring/secure grip whilst on the Felix/Dart you can also do the same thing by removing the top of the hose to the bag. Then both uprights become rolling machines without suction and the brush rolls on both are pretty good at rubbing the powder into the carpet. If you don't own a Sebo upright you can still, in theory use any upright that uses a clean fan system and a hose at the back being removed.

The powder once rubbed into carpets will remove soiling very lightly. However what Sebo don't tell you is that if you have already purchased the powder, you can get heavy stains out by simply rubbing the powder in with the back of your hand. I've been using this powder for a long time now and its general non-toxic formula means its kind to my hands (even though I suffer from bad dry skin)> the more you manually rub into the carpet with your hand the more you'll find that the stain should disappear. I was initially disappointed the first time I used the powder and with my Sebo's nothing came out. I decided to do it by hand and found that the powder actually works. Then you vacuum the area out normally afterwards. In the UK we can buy boxes of this powder (replacement bags are easy to buy after, therefore just dropping the bag in) where a stiff brush has been added into the lid. Overall compared to Oreck's powder, the Sebo DuoP is worth its weight in gold and should be considered by all.

I wonder how effective the Sebo is at actually removing the powder from the carpet once you've brushed it all down into the pile? How fine is the powder, I've yet to try it in person - is it closer to the consistancy of flour or sand? Or something else?

~ However Clean - Hoover Cleaner ~
Venson

Reply #3   Jun 1, 2009 12:27 am
Thanks for the info vacumanuk. I just may try it myself. By the way, can the powder be applied with a handled scrub brush as back in the days of Glamorene?

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #4   Jun 1, 2009 7:15 am
vacmanuk wrote:

Welcome back vacmanuk:

Smart work-around for applying the dry rug powder cleaner using a by-pass dirt path upright.  Thanks.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #5   Jun 1, 2009 9:54 am
Model2 wrote:
I wonder how effective the Sebo is at actually removing the powder from the carpet once you've brushed it all down into the pile? How fine is the powder, I've yet to try it in person - is it closer to the consistancy of flour or sand? Or something else?

It is a fine powder similar in consistency to powder - the powder adds a protection coat onto the surface once you vacuum it out - another reason to why I keep my old Vax Quicklite to hand / Dirt Devil Dynammite; because whilst the Sebo will vacuum up the powder I always use a bagless cyclonic upright afterwards to just make sure! I've used the powder with my LG upright for example and the Vax took out a lot more of the powder after I had vacuumed it the first time.

Infact Model 2 you can read all about in my review on Dooyoo. Look under http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/household-products/sebo-duo-p/1060191/

Venson - Im not sure what you are talking about referring to that cleaning product - I'm UK based and an 80's child so I'm afraid you may be older than I am.
Venson

Reply #6   Jun 1, 2009 12:00 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Venson - Im not sure what you are talking about referring to that cleaning product - I'm UK based and an 80's child so I'm afraid you may be older than I am.

Believe me vacmanuk, I am so much older than you that I'm araid too. However . . .

The product I am referring was a "dry" cleaning product made for rug cleaning back in the 1950s. It came in large glass jars and resembled sawdust. There was some sort of quick evaporating fluid cleaning agent in it and once you had it evenly distributed through the absorbent solids, it was sprinkled onto carpeting and worked in with a stiff brush. It was then left to sit x-amount of time and then vacuumed up. I think at one point in time there was also an electric machine with the Glamorene name designed for application.

Venson
vacmanuk

Reply #7   Jun 1, 2009 6:02 pm
Ahh. Fair respect to you and this product. I've never heard of it. Was the sawdust particularly good at what it claimed to do?
Venson

Reply #8   Jun 1, 2009 6:46 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Ahh. Fair respect to you and this product. I've never heard of it. Was the sawdust particularly good at what it claimed to do?

To be honest, I never thought much of the results. I best like the so-called "steam cleaning" method -- hot water bearing a mimimum of detergent being jetted and worked into carpet fiber and immediately sucked out again.

I've used rug shampooers but always felt compelled to follow up with a large sponce and clear water in the hope of reducing dirt attracting detergent residue.

Venson
Trilobite

Reply #9   Jun 4, 2009 2:44 pm
Venson wrote:
To be honest, I never thought much of the results. I best like the so-called &quot;steam cleaning&quot; method -- hot water bearing a mimimum of detergent being jetted and worked into carpet fiber and immediately sucked out again.<BR><BR>I've used rug shampooers but always felt compelled to follow up with a large sponce and clear water in the hope of reducing dirt attracting detergent residue.<BR><BR>Venson

I've often wondered about rinsability of carpet cleaning products...

But Which? magazine did once report that Bissell high foaming shampoo (for use with the Bissell 'Spinfoamer' and cheaper non-electric shampoo brushes) give a certain degree of anti-resoiling capability to the test sample carpets.

They went on to say that the Bissell shampoo might be a good choice for the Hoover Shampoo/Polisher, as Hoover did not specify a shampoo at that time (circa 1986-1989).

As for UK carpet dry-cleaning powders, there were two that I can think of:

"Dri-Magic", 1970s-1980s; possibly made by Airwick, the airfreshener people.

"Sapur", mid '80s; seemed to be a European made product.
Venson

Reply #10   Jun 4, 2009 3:18 pm
Trilobite wrote:
I've often wondered about rinsability of carpet cleaning products...<BR><BR>But Which? magazine did once report that Bissell high foaming shampoo (for use with the Bissell 'Spinfoamer' and cheaper non-electric shampoo brushes) give a certain degree of anti-resoiling capability to the test sample carpets.<BR><BR>They went on to say that the Bissell shampoo might be a good choice for the Hoover Shampoo/Polisher, as Hoover did not specify a shampoo at that time (circa 1986-1989).<BR><BR>As for UK carpet dry-cleaning powders, there were two that I can think of:<BR><BR>&quot;Dri-Magic&quot;, 1970s-1980s; possibly made by Airwick, the airfreshener people.<BR><BR>&quot;Sapur&quot;, mid '80s; seemed to be a European made product.

Hey Trilobite,

How are you? With carpet shampoo, which I used for years and years, I always saw a sort of hard, dark waxlike residue collect on the brushroll of my vacuum. I've never seen it develop when doing new rugs until after they'd been shampooed. I was very careful about the amount of shampoo I used in the solution but didn't seem to be getting it right which is I why I decided on "rinsing."

In any event, the shampoo polisher is almost a thing of the past here. I still have a really great Hoover Floor-A-Matic that I shall not part with until it or I die. It's a twin brush machine that scrubs plus picks up used cleaning solution on hard floors. It also aerates and foams carpet shampoo solution before it contacts the rug.

Of course the big thing now is the so-called steam cleaner for carpets but I have also have heard there may be problems regarding residue too. Nonetheless, there was a poster a good while back who swore by the results she got using just distilled vinegar and water in this type machine. That is probably a manufacturer's no-no but I'd at lest like to give it a try someday. Besides which, it isn't expensive.

Best,

Venson
Replies: 1 - 10 of 18NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42