Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Vacuum for the handicapped . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Vacuum for the handicapped . . .
Original Message   Apr 27, 2009 8:33 am
Hi,

One of the really great things over time is that the society at large has become a bit more sensitive to the needs of handicapped persons who are living independently. Ramps and other facilities for easy access are more or less common in business establishments, shopping malls and restaurants. However, I'm wondering what's available for making daily cleaning tasks easy?

What kinds of vacuums and/or vacuum features are good for people with handicaps?

Venson
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Vacuum for the handicapped . . .
Reply #1   Apr 27, 2009 5:13 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi,

What kinds of vacuums and/or vacuum features are good for people with handicaps?

Venson

Hi Venson:

Ironic you would ask.  Today at Mass, a handicapped friend [50-ish] couldn't make it all the way through to the end and asked me to drive him home.  Middle of the consecration.  I offered to take him to the hospital but he declined.  Had a dachsund at home that he was worried about.  He uses a walker and his entire right side of the body is paralyzed [from a recent stroke] including his arm which is unusable.  As I assisted him into his ground level apartment, I spied a HOOVER EmPower upright in the middle of the living room.  We talked for awhile, I made sure he had someone to look in on him later in the day, and he had food to eat, and I took off for another Church with a later daily Mass where I was able to receive Holy Communion.  [I'm in the midst of the Divine Promise Devotion and today is day 26]

He doesn't know about my vacuum background and we didn't talk about it.  We know each other from the Knights.  In fact, the Churches I attended today for Mass and Communion are not my parish Church.  We will probably see/talk again on Saturday.  in the near future, when the opportunity presents itself we'll get about vacuums.  Like you, I'm curious to learn from him his likes and dislikes about today's state of vacuums for users with physical challenges. 

Carmine D.

Just

Reply #2   Apr 27, 2009 5:32 pm
Carmine,

I have nothing to  add about the vacuum of choice for this gentleman, but I want to say that it proves what I have always known.  You are a kind and caring individual and will be rewarded for your generous nature.

Please if you see this man again, if you feel comfortable to enquire.  Suggest to him Meals on Wheels, or help him contact the local Area Agency on Aging.  702-486-3545.  They can help him get connected with services to make his life a little easier, including but not limited ot Homemaker services where someone can help him with the vacuuming chores, laundry and preparing meals.

You are a good man, thank you for being my bright spot today.

This message was modified Apr 27, 2009 by Just
Venson

Reply #3   Apr 27, 2009 7:37 pm
It great of you to supply the info Just -- you're a winner too.

Venson
This message was modified Apr 27, 2009 by Venson
Venson

Reply #4   Apr 27, 2009 8:13 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

Ironic you would ask.  Today at Mass, a handicapped friend [50-ish] couldn't make it all the way through to the end and asked me to drive him home.  Middle of the consecration.  I offered to take him to the hospital but he declined.  Had a dachsund at home that he was worried about.  He uses a walker and his entire right side of the body is paralyzed [from a recent stroke] including his arm which is unusable.  As I assisted him into his ground level apartment, I spied a HOOVER EmPower upright in the middle of the living room.  We talked for awhile, I made sure he had someone to look in on him later in the day, and he had food to eat, and I took off for another Church with a later daily Mass where I was able to receive Holy Communion.  [I'm in the midst of the Divine Promise Devotion and today is day 26]

He doesn't know about my vacuum background and we didn't talk about it.  We know each other from the Knights.  In fact, the Churches I attended today for Mass and Communion are not my parish Church.  We will probably see/talk again on Saturday.  in the near future, when the opportunity presents itself we'll get about vacuums.  Like you, I'm curious to learn from him his likes and dislikes about today's state of vacuums for users with physical challenges. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I'm glad to learn that you've taken an interest in this gentleman's issues. It's a big world out there and though most of us know we should love our neighbor as best we can, we quite often sort of stand around going, "Duh." Thank God you didn't.

It would be good to get the man fitted up for a vac that better suits his present state but first, as he has recently suffered a stroke, he's going to need some time for rehab therapy to help him move forward.

Just is absolutely right. For the present this man should be having someone in to help out with cleaning and meals until he's ready to take on things for himself. It makes for less to worry about and stress out over. I'm very sure he's also very concerned over his pet not getting what it needs as well.

If family is available or if that can be arranged through a city or state agency -- wonderful. However,if he's on his own or if the bad economy now prohibits that kind of offering through government, maybe your church or some local organization has a volunteer program.

Meals-On-Wheels is also a wonderful idea as I'm sure he must be having diffuculty getting around the kitchen.

May you also be well blessed for your kindness.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #5   Apr 28, 2009 7:46 am
Hi Just, Venson:

Thanks for the information, advice and for the kind words.  Just happened to be in the right place at the right time.  Nothing special for me.  Joe is the man!

My Wife and I were discussing Joe's situation and brainstorming about assistance and resources available to him.  Your posts are right on time and helpful.  Meals-on-wheels is a wonderful aid for shut-ins.  My local Church parish provides this resource.  I mentioned too on another thread that my local Church's Outreach Ministry uses a EUREKA Smart Vac upright to tidy up for Church members/non-members in need of such assistance.  Joe is not eligible for my Church's resources unfortunately because he lives too far away from my home parish [about 15 miles].  But the Church he attends and I attended yesterday may have such resources available.  It's on my list to ask/find out.  As a Knight of Columbus, with a Council connected to Joe's Church, the Council's brother Knights keep watch on him [in a low key manner].  Hence, my friendship with Joe, who I, again as chance would have it, recruited into the Church's Knights' Council over a year ago.

Joe has a 19 year old daughter who lives nearby.  They are not on the best of terms now and never have been.  He has been disabled most of her life [a result of a very bad car accident for which Joe has had about 8-10 operations over the years].   Also, Joe's neighbor quickly came by when she saw us arrive.  She, it turns out, was walking with the the Mom and Dad of Joe's dachsund: Izzie, short for Isabella.  Izzie is 2 years old.  Just a pup.  So that's the dog connection and also Joe's concerned and caring neighbor.

BTW, HOOVER Empower was rated a "recommended" by a Summer 2008 edition of Better Homes and Gardens for persons with small quarters and lack of storage.  Joe's place meets the bill.  Small.  Almost like a place to flop for the apartment manager with just the bear necessities.   Tho, I suspect the EmPower which has been around since 2003 is probably about 3 years old [or more], Joe's tenure in this apartment. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 28, 2009 by CarmineD
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42