Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Miele S147 with SEB 217 Power Nozzle

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Vernon

Miele S147 with SEB 217 Power Nozzle
Original Message   Apr 23, 2009 3:43 am
I bought a used one the other day, in excellent shape.  The one thing that I noticed with this unit, is that on low pile carpeting that is not glued down, on high speed, the SEB 217 electro plus power nozzle gets sucked down to the carpeting, making it difficult to push.  Is this normal for this power nozzle??????

For a "stick vac", it is remarkably powerful, although a little on the heavy side.  Kinda unique with the different configurations that can be set up. 

I'm sure our resident Miele experts can offer some insights here. 

Vernon
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Re: Miele S147 with SEB 217 Power Nozzle
Reply #1   Apr 23, 2009 4:07 am
Yes, it is normal for you to have this occur w/this power nozzle.  It has to do w/the design of the nozzle, which also includes the less aggressive brushroll.  The powerful suction seals the nozzle to the surface. I hear this alot w/users of Miele canister cleaners, that use this smaller power nozzle.  They usually dial down the power, which I think defeats the purpose of having a powerful vacuum cleaner.  That is why I usually suggest the more deluxe nozzle model w/height adjustment.

This model is very good for quick pick ups in a few rooms or for someone living in a studio apt.
This message was modified Apr 23, 2009 by Mike_W
vacomatic

Reply #2   Jun 1, 2009 9:02 pm
What Mike W. says is true for my Blue Moon and SEB-217, Especially for plastic-backed rugs or throw rugs.
Dialing down motor speed to halfway in its range makes the nozzle easier to push and still seems to provide decent cleaning.
vacmanuk

Reply #3   Jun 2, 2009 1:54 pm
I'm not keen on any power head for Miele cylinders and that's because of the points already raised. The air driven turbo brush is a far better bet and it has a air outlet hole/slider on the top that makes it easier to glide - its also considerably a whole lot cheaper if you buy from EBay. You could therefore sell the electro-head and get yourself some custom floor heads if you really don't need that electro brush. I also think the electro brushes add a heck of a lot of weight onto the S100 range too.
Venson

Reply #4   Jun 2, 2009 2:19 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
I'm not keen on any power head for Miele cylinders and that's because of the points already raised. The air driven turbo brush is a far better bet and it has a air outlet hole/slider on the top that makes it easier to glide - its also considerably a whole lot cheaper if you buy from EBay. You could therefore sell the electro-head and get yourself some custom floor heads if you really don't need that electro brush. I also think the electro brushes add a heck of a lot of weight onto the S100 range too.

I have to differ here. The issue basically depends on what your daily cleaning tasks are. I do not like air-turbine nozzles as there alway has to be x-amount of free airflow allowed to power the turbine properly. Otherwise it stalls or stops turning. This means a certain amount of sacrifice regarding suction and thus turbo-nozzles are not suitable for so-called "deep cleaning".

I like electric PNs because their drive motors deliver a consistent source of power to brushroll that does not depend upon whether the cleaner's bag is empty or near empty for best performance.

I own a Miele Capricorn along with a Miele SEB 236 power nozzle. I have been more than satisfied with the combination. The SEB 236's height is easily adjustable and if suction is too high, it is just a matter of pushing a button on the hose handle to reduce the vac's motor speed for less suction.

I would not want to face issues of deeply embedded dirt or serious pet hair with a turbo-nozzle. Weight to me is not an issue and Miele does provide parking slots to make moving the machine and components easier.

My only gripe with Miele remains the cost of tool options and bags.

Venson
Model2

~ It Beats...as it Sweeps...as it Cleans ~

Reply #5   Jun 2, 2009 2:43 pm
Venson, I concur. Having used both designs in my home for extented periods, I agree that the turbinehead cannot begin to approach the efficiency of the Electroheads, especially as the bag fills. I currently own a Miele Revolution 500 with the smaller Electrohead, and I wouldn't consider trading it for a turbine head.

~ However Clean - Hoover Cleaner ~
vacmanuk

Reply #6   Jun 2, 2009 9:29 pm
I hear you regarding the power heads but I don't like them on Miele's because I find most Miele's are lightweight enough and don't need a heavy head on the end of a cylinder extension pipe. I've used The Alternative/S100 model before with an electric brush and found the whole thing to be too heavy. It really depends on the individual here. Given that the S100 has a small dirt bag I wouldn't consider this a proper vacuum cleaner over the larger bagged Miele cylinders (sorry to those who consider otherwise) as the one we had in the UK was 1200 watts and a total faff about when it came to using as a hand held; the more modern Sebo Felix is better in this respect.
This message was modified Jun 2, 2009 by vacmanuk
Venson

Reply #7   Jun 2, 2009 11:24 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
I hear you regarding the power heads but I don't like them on Miele's because I find most Miele's are lightweight enough and don't need a heavy head on the end of a cylinder extension pipe. I've used The Alternative/S100 model before with an electric brush and found the whole thing to be too heavy. It really depends on the individual here. Given that the S100 has a small dirt bag I wouldn't consider this a proper vacuum cleaner over the larger bagged Miele cylinders (sorry to those who consider otherwise) as the one we had in the UK was 1200 watts and a total faff about when it came to using as a hand held; the more modern Sebo Felix is better in this respect.

Hi,

Of course it's always a matter of preference but a lot also hangs on what you're cleaning. In a home with low pile carpet and little traffic or challenges like pet hair, a turbo or straight suction nozzle may serve well especially for frequent vacuumers. In a dwelling where's there's lot of actvity and medium height or better carpet to deal with an upright or a canister with a regular power nozzle is the better deal.

The most ridculous bag size I've seen so far is the type S bag used with the Electrolux AB Oxygen series machines. They have full-size PNs but the disposable bag is about the size of a postage stamp.

Venson
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42