Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The DC27 - to replace the DC07 & DC14. Say good-bye to the [on some carpet types] temperamental clutch.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

The DC27 - to replace the DC07 & DC14. Say good-bye to the [on some carpet types] temperamental clutch.
Original Message   Mar 12, 2009 4:11 pm
It's true, no more clutch.  It uses a brushroll motor.
This message was modified Jun 24, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 95 - 104 of 177Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: The DC27 - to replace the DC07 & DC14. Say good-bye to the clutch.
Reply #95   Apr 10, 2009 12:27 pm
Hi Dusty,

Thanks for the URL. It was interesting to learn how the clutch change is done. Wish we had the actual companies offering more easily available information for repairs we could do ourselves.

Best,

Venson
HARDSELL

Reply #96   Apr 10, 2009 2:23 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Exactly.  6500 RPM doesn't mean anything except how much dirt is whisked off of the surface (think high-speed carpet sweeper or power nozzle).  In fact I would be under the impression that higher brushroll RPMs would actually mean *less* deep cleaning ability, since it would be spinning too fast to dig deep into the carpet.  Perhaps that's where their claim of "floats on the carpet" came from.  And unless the brushroll was flat, a la Dyson or Vibra-Groomer I, it wouldn't create any airflow on its own. 

Speaking of which, one can remove the fan on a VGI-equipped Sanitaire, replace the pulley and reconnect the belt, and it will still have more airflow than an Oreck.

-MH

Maybe Carmine adds nitrogen to the brush bar and the bag on his Oreck.  It is a maircle working gas.  Speaking of gas.  Carmine spews a lot of it.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #97   Apr 10, 2009 3:03 pm
Severus wrote:
I believe that Carmine is providing his educated opinion, and it does seem plausible.  

dusty wrote:
There is nothing wrong with providing opinion, I just don't believe opinion should be offered up as fact.  I have asked nothing more of Carmine (whom I do enjoy sparring with) than he asks of anyone else here.  On many a post he has requested numbers as proof of a statement, I am simply asking the same. 

Dusty

Dusty:
It is a breath of fresh air hearing from Vacuum Cleaner Dealers with integrity.

Some time ago Carmine suggested HSN had conspired (with Dyson) some how/some way when they claimed to of sold 10,000 DC07 units as a Today’s Special.  The vac was a great bundle and price and people bought.  Let’s see... to date, Carmine believes HSN, Walmart, Best Buy, Target and Sears are all conspiring to “pump to dump” Dyson’s. - It makes for great entertainment.

DIB

DysonInventsBig

Reply #98   Apr 10, 2009 3:22 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Exactly.  6500 RPM doesn't mean anything except how much dirt is whisked off of the surface (think high-speed carpet sweeper or power nozzle).  In fact I would be under the impression that higher brushroll RPMs would actually mean *less* deep cleaning ability, since it would be spinning too fast to dig deep into the carpet.  Perhaps that's where their claim of "floats on the carpet" came from.  And unless the brushroll was flat, a la Dyson or Vibra-Groomer I, it wouldn't create any airflow on its own. 

Speaking of which, one can remove the fan on a VGI-equipped Sanitaire, replace the pulley and reconnect the belt, and it will still have more airflow than an Oreck.

-MH

Motorhead,

I have been told this flat (ribbon roll?) increases airflow and/or suction.
Q:  Do you know by how much (a percentage)?

Have you any info on the so-called Windtunnel Technologies.  This looks to be Hoovers biggest exclusive only to them marketable patent.
Q:  Does it work and by how much? 

Only an observation...  brushroll's spinning to fast to go deep reminds me of snowmobiles that can stay on the surface (float) and cross a body of water when driven at high rate of speed.

Thanks,
DIB

CarmineD

Reply #99   Apr 11, 2009 7:30 am
Dusty, et al.

Let me get to your questions and comments about best and popular sellers among retailers.  As Severus pointed out big box retailers are reporting the worst sales of consumer goods [like vacuums] in over 40 years.  You know that Circuit City stores are in bankruptcy and Linens-n-things in liquidation.  Other retailers are sure to follow.  This doesn't take into effect that many retailers, BEST BUY stores included, have added more product that is less expensive pricewise and culled more expensive goods from shelves as consumers traded down in price/budget of their buys.

Now to your question.  All retailers sort their brands and models by the selling price.  For vacuums, dyson has few to no others than its own brand that compete with it in the same price range.  So, for example, a DC25 Ball for $499 plus has no other brand competition.  If it sells one a week, month etc, it is by definition a "best and popular seller.'

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #100   Apr 11, 2009 7:31 am
Motorhead wrote:
If I may interject here--

I've read several Dyson consumer reviews over the past 6 or 7 years since Dysons were brought over here, and either they are happy with their DC07s or DC14s, or do not like them and switch to another Dyson.  -MH

Facts are dyson discontinued the clutches in the USA and the DC07 and DC14.  Gone. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #101   Apr 11, 2009 7:35 am
dusty wrote:
Hi Severus,

Even if it was 50 dollars labor it would still be a $90 total repair. When people are buying Dirt Devils and Bissells at $200 a pop every two or three years, I don't see much of an issue with replacing a clutch after 5.  I know I certainly don't sell any brands that require no repairs after 5 years...doesn't matter if it's Riccar, Eureka, Sebo or whatever.  They all require something at some point.

Dusty

A $90 plus repair is a hardsell for a couple with one or more breadwinners laidoff/unemployed.  These repairs often go unclaimed/undone.  And consumers in hard times trade down on a new vacuum purchase RATHER THAN REPAIR because is less expensive/disposable.  Vice trade up and trade in the old model and buying new at the same/higher price.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 11, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #102   Apr 11, 2009 7:39 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Dusty:
It is a breath of fresh air hearing from Vacuum Cleaner Dealers with integrity.

Some time ago Carmine suggested HSN had conspired (with Dyson) some how/some way when they claimed to of sold 10,000 DC07 units as a Today’s Special.  The vac was a great bundle and price and people bought.  Let’s see... to date, Carmine believes HSN, Walmart, Best Buy, Target and Sears are all conspiring to “pump to dump” Dyson’s. - It makes for great entertainment.

DIB

Actually what I said is that these TV sales use the same selling/marketing strategy that hawkers used in the old days in auction sales.  Plant shills who bid up the prices/product demand to give potential buyers a sense that they have to have/buy.  Does the name Bernie Madeoff come to mind!  The sales deception works better in good times than bad [like now]. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 11, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #103   Apr 11, 2009 7:44 am
Motorhead wrote:
Exactly.  6500 RPM doesn't mean anything except how much dirt is whisked off of the surface -MH

By adding this brush speed to a lightweight 9 pounder that is easy and quick for all in the household to pull out daily and use, the surface dirt, which takes several days to imbed in the rug, is removed before any rug wear and damage from dirt results.  That's the beauty of ORECK!  Not to mention that ORECK is wonderful for grooming and pet hair on all floor surface coverings.  BAsta!  Consumer Reports and the Carpet and Rug Institute tell vacuum consumers so about ORECK-s and have for over 30 years.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #104   Apr 11, 2009 7:45 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Maybe Carmine adds nitrogen to the brush bar and the bag on his Oreck.  It is a maircle working gas.  Speaking of gas.  Carmine spews a lot of it.

HS:

I hear tell that nitrogen is infused in golf clubs/handles too now to assist players who otherwise can't make par do so!

Carmine D.

Replies: 95 - 104 of 177Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42