Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > I was impressed by a cheap vacuum!

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Vacuumfreeeke

I was impressed by a cheap vacuum!
Original Message   Apr 2, 2009 3:36 pm
How ironic... something that was in the trash at my apartment complex and made by a company whose products I detest (Dirt Devil) has really impressed me and even brought me a a little fun.  I'm talking about the Dirt Devil Quick Power stick vac.  I found one laying in the grass beside the garbage cans at my apartment complex.  I brought it in just to play with.  It had a so much hair wrapped around the brushroll that the bristles were no longer visible.  The filter was pretty clogged.  After I cleaned it up and sanitized it, I charged it overnight.  Then I tried it out.  I was impressed with the amount of cat hair and debris it got from my low pile carpet and medium pile area rug.  It worked GREAT on the kitchen floor.  It is so light and easy to maneuver.... I am very happy I found it and I am going to keep it!  It is my only cordless and my only stick vac (unless you count the swivel sweeper, which I don't).  I am shocked to love something from a company that I hate, but I really do!  I will admit that the filter DOES clog fast, but it STILL picks stuff up even with the fitler clogged!  Have any of you tried one of these? 

What's your favorite cordless stick vac?  Did ya hear about the exploding Electrolux Pronto?
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Just

Re: I was impressed by a cheap vacuum!
Reply #1   Apr 2, 2009 4:50 pm
I wouldn't say I hate Dirt Devil.  They have just become the icon for disposable.  I still have a Dirt Devil/Royal hand vac that I bought in '89 that serves it purpose quite well. 

I am glad you like your find, it goes to show that there is a place for everything.  This little stick found it's niche.

CarmineD

Reply #2   Apr 2, 2009 6:30 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
  Did ya hear about the exploding Electrolux Pronto?

Yes here it is:

http://www.abbysguide.com/vacuum/discussions/30782-0-1.html

Carmine D.

Motorhead

Reply #3   Apr 10, 2009 1:45 am
I don't have a favorite cordless vacuum, because frankly no such one exists.  My experiences with cordless vacuums (both handheld and stick) is that they never seem to run long enough before the battery drains completely, and don't have as much power as their 120V counterparts.   

In the mid-90's I was looking for a good stick vac with a revolving brush for quick clean-ups, however the only one that I knew of at the time was the Eureka Boss Lite cordless.  Knowing how short the run time of a NiCad battery was, as well as the long charge time, I was not interested but I also knew they would bring out a 120V version.  Sure enough, they did, and the electric SuperBroom BrushUp was what I ended up with.  It worked well for about 3 years until the nozzle pivot broke, the fixed nozzle seemed to be a weak spot on those. 

I know battery technology has improved but I'm still skeptical of how good cordless vacuums really are.  Nowadays if I need to use a stick vac, I'll usually reach for my vintage G-bag Hoover Quik-Broom.  Very well made with a sturdy metal handle, lightweight, and even though it's only 4 amps I know it will outclean any other cordless vacuum, old or new.  I don't have to worry about the battery dying, either.

-MH
Venson

Reply #4   Apr 10, 2009 10:38 am
Hi MH,

I too am more pleased with corded stick vacs but think the rechargeable type has got possibilities due to the freedom of movement allowed. You are freed from plug hunting and cord length limitations.

The big problem is that the purchase of an extra battery to extend run time ranges around the $70.00 mark. At that price I can buy a brand new corded stick vac. I become less than enthused when supplementary vacuums end up costing near the price of full-sized, standard duty machines.

Best,

Venson
mole

Reply #5   Apr 10, 2009 5:45 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi MH,

I too am more pleased with corded stick vacs but think the rechargeable type has got possibilities due to the freedom of movement allowed. You are freed from plug hunting and cord length limitations.

The big problem is that the purchase of an extra battery to extend run time ranges around the $70.00 mark. At that price I can buy a brand new corded stick vac. I become less than enthused when supplementary vacuums end up costing near the price of full-sized, standard duty machines.

Best,

Venson

Venson, please stop making so much sense, its bad for business . The real experts will get mighty pi$$ed at you,

regards

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #6   Apr 12, 2009 7:32 am
mole wrote:
Venson, please stop making so much sense, its bad for business . The real experts will get mighty pi$$ed at you,

regards

MOLE

NEVER!

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42