Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Americanizing a Dyson DC04?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Americanizing a Dyson DC04?
Original Message   Mar 17, 2009 11:00 pm
I found a brand new Dyson DC04 in the UK selling for $231 USD, and I'm curious to know how easy (or hard) it would be to swap all of the electrical items with those from a US spec DC14. Will this be a possibility? Or would a simple outlet converter box suffice?
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: Americanizing a Dyson DC04?
Reply #1   Mar 17, 2009 11:20 pm
I have purchased Dyson's from England, shipping is brutal.  It's my understanding converting down will work but not for long.  Have you looked at Dyson's at Overstock? - $1 shipping.  The DC15 is my full sized favorite, if the "debris channel" @ the nozzle is covered (plugged up) it will pull that much more (dust/debris) from carpeting.          DIB

http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=dyson&taxonomy=&SearchType=HP_Header
This message was modified Mar 17, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Reply #2   Mar 17, 2009 11:51 pm
iMacDaddy wrote:
I found a brand new Dyson DC04 in the UK selling for $231 USD, and I'm curious to know how easy (or hard) it would be to swap all of the electrical items with those from a US spec DC14. Will this be a possibility? Or would a simple outlet converter box suffice?

Hey iMacDaddy,

I learned my lesson on this due to having had the same wonderings about a wonderful Lux 1 Chrome that I'd wanted for a long time. It seems Lux International may have some sort of agreement with Aerus to never peddle their wares here in the U.S. (As far as I' concerned, the Lux 1 is loads better than Aerus's continued stuck-in-time product.) However. the fly in the ointment was that even though they sell just about every where else in the world, Lux International doesn't produce 120 volt vacuums -- or least any I want.

Due to circuit boards and a lot of stuff they never used to put in vacuum cleaners modern ones are usually not merely longer fans in a can anymore. So -- if a 120 volt version is not made by the manufacturer it is best to buy a converter that can produce the higher voltage the cleaner you have in mind requires.

Please note the term "simple" does not apply here. The power convertor you choose must be able to not only deliver proper voltage but also handle the wattage draw of the appliance it provides power for. That is possible but could cost well beyond the $231.00 (plus shipping fees and tarrifs) you'd be paying for the vacuum.

I don't see this as practical but if you do -- I'll be making sure to send you my address just before next Christmas.

If you'd really like to have a Dyson, check out the model range, decide on which you feel will best suit your needs and keep an eye on eBay. Dyson and just about every other current brand are frequently being sold there for far less "frightening" prices than you'll find in the stores.

As always -- should you decide to follow my suggestion -- check out "buy-it-now" items meeting your best price, check the seller's feedback carefully (the seller should lot of favorable comment under his/her belt) and don't hesitate to ask question before making a purchase.

Best,

Venson
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Reply #3   Mar 17, 2009 11:54 pm
<BR> DysonInventsBig wrote:
I have purchased Dyson's from England, shipping is brutal.  It's my understanding converting down will work but not for long.  Have you looked at Dyson's at Overstock? - $1 shipping.  The DC15 is my full sized favorite, if the &amp;quot;debris channel&amp;quot; @ the nozzle is covered (plugged up) it will pull that much more (dust/debris) from carpeting.          DIB&lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=dyson&amp;amp;taxonomy=&amp;amp;SearchType=HP_Header<BR>
<BR>Have you ever bought a refurbished Dyson from Overstock? When Dyson refurbishes a product, does that mean they replace all of the worn parts, including the clear bin and clear floor nozzle cover with new parts to make the machine appear brand new? I never understood what factory reconditioned/refurbished really meant in terms of product condition. I think a friend would be interested in that white DC15 they have on there. I myself just ordered a new DC23, but I thought it would be cool to get a brand new DC04 and own one of the early original Dyson vacs (possibly made in Malmesbury, not Malaysia).
This message was modified Mar 17, 2009 by iMacDaddy
DysonInventsBig

Reply #4   Mar 18, 2009 1:56 am
iMacDaddy wrote:
<BR> <BR>Have you ever bought a refurbished Dyson from Overstock? When Dyson refurbishes a product, does that mean they replace all of the worn parts, including the clear bin and clear floor nozzle cover with new parts to make the machine appear brand new? I never understood what factory reconditioned/refurbished really meant in terms of product condition. I think a friend would be interested in that white DC15 they have on there. I myself just ordered a new DC23, but I thought it would be cool to get a brand new DC04 and own one of the early original Dyson vacs (possibly made in Malmesbury, not Malaysia).

Agreed, owning a DC04 would be cool.  Why not put a 220v outlet in your home, I did.  A 220v. outlet and converting a 110v. extension cord (for the extra length) DIY cost - around $50.  I have a DC05 and it is VERY COOL using a non-American vacuum that I feel out-maneuvers all other canisters and uprights.  It’s the same model James Dyson demoed for the Queen (and it is lavender - lol).

The factory refurbs are supposed to be real good.  A friend bought one from Big Lots and said "It looked new".

FYI, even though the DC15 receives lots of praise from owners, for some it can feel somewhat heavy.

DIB

P.S.  I like your name...  I too am a father and use a Mac (laptop).

bucks03

Reply #5   Mar 19, 2009 2:55 pm
That would be good.  I have a Dyson DC04 and love it.  Be careful which DC04 you go for as some are made in Malaysia.  Mine is a Malaysian made DC04 which the Dyson factory put the DC07 printed Brushcontrol head on it.  I'm not bothered (well have had it for 7 years now)  the Dc07 has the same head on it but mine isn't from Malmesbury UK.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42