Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Vacuuming Oriental Rugs

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

Vacuuming Oriental Rugs
Original Message   Mar 12, 2009 11:14 am
Carmine,

This will probably fall under your area of expertise and experience, but all are welcome to contribute. As I transition from being unemployed to being self-employed, I am looking for more specialized services to offer my clients.

There are specialized 'rug dusters' for sale which tap the accumulated dirt, dust, sand, and grit out of Oriental rugs by laying them face down over a grid which gives the debris room to fall. These cost upwards of 4,000.00! These have been developed as an alternative to the huge stationary 240 volt dusting machines. All of this to replace regular vacuuming with a Hoover 300, 700, or 150, the ones with the dual divergent agitator bars, with shorter agitator bars and bristle strips in between on each side.

The magic of the Hoover was that the 5,000 taps per minute during slow motion vacuuming set up a wave pattern that  vibrated the rug, dislodging the dirt, sand, and grit. It was not accomplished with tremendous suction, though the airflow was good, it was the balance of enough suction to keep snapping the rug up after each tap. The sand was not actually beaten out of the rug as much as the rug was pushed down leaving the sand in mid-air to be caught by the airflow generated by the fan, as explained by the laws of Newtonian physics.

My question is this: Short of finding and restoring a few 150 Hoovers, is there any alternative? Would any later model Hoovers accept the dual divergent agitator? How late? A current Guardsman, maybe, with some alteration perhaps?

A Kirby with a cloth bag has been suggested to me. A G series will not accept a full-fledged sani-emptor, and probably is too powerful to sustain the tap/snap action. A cloth bag would yield too much airflow, and a hepa bag too little as it fills. A Heritage I with a cloth bag seems the only other possibility. The Sanitaire Vibra-Groomer I is not sufficient, about the same as the standard Hoover agitator with just one strip of beater bar per side.

The idea of being able to restore neglected Oriental rugs with simple thorough vacuuming for good pay is very appealing. As I understand it, Hoover abandoned this configuration of agitator because as area rugs gave way to wal to wall carpet, it did not grab and hold the wall-to-wall carpet as well as the newer, less expensive to produce version, which had just the one spiral strip per side. Hoover could have ruled if they had stuck to being a status symbol. Imagine being able to switch out the roller and bottom plate to adapt the vacuum to whatever carpet/rug/floor needed to be cleaned. The mind boggles, while the Hoover just beats, as it sweeps, as it cleans...

Trebor

Replies: 58 - 67 of 107Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Vacuuming Oriental Rugs... now the not-so-subtle art of name dropping
Reply #58   Mar 16, 2009 4:33 pm
Trebor wrote:

Facts and figures are fine, but oft times their meaning or relevance are subject to interpretation. And for the record, "Doesn't lose suction" IS AN ADVERTSING SLOGAN, copyrighted by Dyson. Slogans do not have to be subjected to factual scrutiny, which is why the Oreck/D**** dispute was thrown out as old business already handled.  Trebor

Hi Trebor:

You'll recall for many many years that all HOOVER vacuums carried the inscription:  "HOOVER makes rugs last longer."  Which all the major rug makers wholeheartedly agreed with.

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Re: Vacuuming Oriental Rugs
Reply #59   Mar 16, 2009 4:34 pm
Venson wrote:
Hey guys,

Adamant ass that I am about some things -- and ready to stand toe to toe with just about anybody if I feel I'm right -- Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

I'd put you on the short list of the gentlemen and scholars who post here.  And high atop the list.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #60   Mar 16, 2009 4:53 pm
Model2 wrote:

'Very amateurish for a rebuilding job of such a fine specimen of vacuum history.' -  Why don’t you offer us some of your own, so others can offer you ‘constructive criticism’? Or perhaps you don't have any actual experience to share?

Before I opened my business, I was a professional vacuum rebuilder for the trade.  My rebuilts, sold for new door-to-door, by salemen with larceny in their hearts, who couldn't make the $deal for their own brand.  Of course wheh I learned this, I opted of the arrangement and went into business.

WRT the old HOOVER models, like you pictured, all the accoutrements like the name plates and even rivets [in black] were available from HOOVER and generic parts suppliers for rebuilders like me.  And were for many many years.  Never skimped on these small details because they gave the vacuums that like new look, despite their age and previous use.  Scuff marks, even deep, were no match for my high powered buffing wheel, fabricated from an old washing machine motor, and assorted rouges and of course my attention to detail.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #61   Mar 17, 2009 7:25 am
Model2 wrote:

'Tho if I recall correctly in another picture from another view, the bag had a botched stitch job.' - The "botched" stitch job is certainly not my work. When I repair bags, they're patched unobtrusively from the inside, so the repair doesn't show. The stitching (actually on the bag of my Model 800 - I know, these "Greater Hoovers" all look the same to the untrained eye), was in fact the work of the machine's former owner, a housewife of the make-do-and-mend era. Why would she pay money for a new bag, when she could just darn the small tear herself? No, it's not a neat job, but one borne out of frugality and practicality on her part. I'm sure the resultant aesthetics of the task were far from her mind. However, it's part of the history of the machine, and adds a certain charm to it. I chose not to repair it. You may feel differently, but that’s the great thing about opinion.

Touching story.  But I'd never let her touch one of my rebuilt bags.  A stitch in time saves nine is fine for socks and stuff not cloth vacuum bags.  I used a heavy duty sewing machine, surplus sale from the military, for repairs and refurbs on cloth bags.  Worked like a charm.  I was the first to add colored leather cuffs to the frail and faulty bags spots for reinforcement.  Lasted years.  Added a nice flare and fancy too.  When the HOOVER branch office in East Orange NJ, just a stone's throw down the road from my store location in Bloomfield, learned about it, it farmed its bags out to me for repair.  Not all customers could spring for a new bag.  But a repair job, that was better than new, by all means.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #62   Mar 18, 2009 7:15 am
Model2 wrote:

'There are nicks and scuffs on the chrome [sic].  Whovever buffed it out missed them and its very obvious.' - Yes, there are nicks and scuffs. It's an 83-year old cleaner that's given many years of faithful service, not something I just bought at John Lewis. Some of the scratches are quite deep, doubtless from being pushed repeatedly under a particular item of furniture by its former owner. No amount of buffing will remove them, and nor would I want to.

'Hope it's not my friend in NC.' - He’s no friend of yours, Carmine. He's a good person, and somebody worthy of being called an expert.

What is "worthy of being called an expert?"  There are alot of people with their own unique skills, knowledge and abilities in and around the vacuum industry past and present.   They're called "experts."  Are they "craftsmen."  "Experts" may/may not be.  A craftsman takes an old, beat up, junked up vacuum out of the rubble and turns it back into the pretty and perfect specimen it was back it's it day.  Regardless of its current age and past use.  That's what some of the independent vacuum store owners/operators do who post here.  That's one of the things, I did.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #63   Mar 19, 2009 7:27 am
Model2 wrote:

I'm sure your "friend" BOSS Hoover forgives you (he does this a lot, doesn't he? Thank heavens he was a man of God!).

'But, on a positive note, the MIELE in the background looks pretty and perfect' - It's a modern machine which has only been used lightly. Since I prefer uprights, I’ll be trading it soon for an S7. Did you have a point here, or are we playing 'I spy...'? 

Excellent series, "I Spy."  Bill Cosby was wonderful.  But right now I'm thinking more "Get Smart."  Did you get that one on BBC?  Do you recall the introductory clause:  "Would you believe............."  It comes to mind now.  But not in the same farcical way, in fact just the opposite.  I'm proud to say that thanks to me and a handful of other US citizens, Aldrich Ames, the most notorious traitor and spy in the annals of CIA history, was put permanently behind bars.

Surely, when I get to Heaven my friends and family, BOSS HOOVER included, who could not thank me in their lifetime, will do so in the next.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 19, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #64   Mar 19, 2009 12:57 pm
Model2 wrote:

I'm sure your "friend" BOSS Hoover forgives you (he does this a lot, doesn't he? Thank heavens he was a man of God!).

'But, on a positive note, the MIELE in the background looks pretty and perfect' - It's a modern machine which has only been used lightly. Since I prefer uprights, I’ll be trading it soon for an S7. Did you have a point here, or are we playing 'I spy...'? 

CarmineD wrote:
Excellent series, "I Spy."  Bill Cosby was wonderful.  But right now I'm thinking more "Get Smart."  Did you get that one on BBC?  Do you recall the introductory clause:  "Would you believe............."  It comes to mind now.  But not in the same farcical way, in fact just the opposite.  I'm proud to say that thanks to me and a handful of other US citizens, Aldrich Ames, the most notorious traitor and spy in the annals of CIA history, was put permanently behind bars.

Surely, when I get to Heaven my friends and family, BOSS HOOVER included, who could not thank me in their lifetime, will do so in the next.

Carmine D.

God whispers inventions into mans ears so to better life.  If TTI were good stewards (growth via honest means and building better mousetraps) God would be pleased.  The Book describes in no- uncertain terms how He loathes thieving, lying, unfair gain, etc.  God calls men like this evil.  TTI’s greatest attributes are... taking ideas from others (stealing) and selling them cheaper than those who birthed them.  As well, they are by definition... a monopoly.

DIB

*Some called it intuition or a feeling or a [flash of genius] eureka moment.

Below is an example of Knock-off manufacturing's work...
This message was modified Mar 19, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #65   Mar 19, 2009 1:15 pm
MIELE must surely be flattered by the resemblance.   Thanks for posting the comparative pics.  MOLE was the first, if I recall correctly, to point out the similarities of these two brand models and others.  It was on a thread here that deals, among other issues, with the evolution of today's vacuums into standard looks and features without unique variances.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #66   Mar 19, 2009 1:30 pm
CarmineD wrote:
MIELE must surely be flattered by the resemblance.   Thanks for posting the comparative pics.  MOLE was the first, if I recall correctly, to point out the similarities of these two brand models and others.  It was on a thread here that deals, among other issues, with the evolution of today's vacuums into standard looks and features without unique variances.

Carmine D.

Applauding thieves?  Chapter and verse please (support in scripture).       DIB

Venson

Reply #67   Mar 19, 2009 1:47 pm
CarmineD wrote:
MIELE must surely be flattered by the resemblance.   Thanks for posting the comparative pics.  MOLE was the first, if I recall correctly, to point out the similarities of these two brand models and others.  It was on a thread here that deals, among other issues, with the evolution of today's vacuums into standard looks and features without unique variances. </p><p>Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I feel the same way about cars. I often find little difference when looking at the aerodynamically inclined wedges most autos have become. Guess the separating line is now more determined by what's on the inside of the car as opposed to the outside and that may not be a bad thing.

DIB,

The proof is in the pudding as it were. The Hoover S3670 pictured sells for $300.00. The Miele Capricorn sells for $1,100.00. As I own one, I of course have high anticipations as to its continued worth over time but I am in no way bothered by Hoover's attempt to produce similar product at a more affordable price. Miele never will.

The S3670 similarity is basically by looks though it, as many other manufacturers cans of late, employs cloth-like high-filtration bags. The WindTunnel style power nozzle is pure Hoover and had been used for years now.

Nonetheless, this new canister rated high with CR. It got high marks for rug and bare floor cleaning, tool suction, pet hair pick-up and emissions. Can't ask for more than that. The question is will it last as long as the Miele is expected to.

For me the question is -- is price the dividing line between good and bad vacuum cleaners? I say not always. I also welcome attempts by anyone to produce product that provides effective and efficient performance at price that allow not just some of us life's small pleasures and conveniences. That may be looked on as infringement by some folks but I see it as fair.

Venson
Replies: 58 - 67 of 107Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42