Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The DC27 - to replace the DC07 & DC14. Say good-bye to the [on some carpet types] temperamental clutch.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

The DC27 - to replace the DC07 & DC14. Say good-bye to the [on some carpet types] temperamental clutch.
Original Message   Mar 12, 2009 4:11 pm
It's true, no more clutch.  It uses a brushroll motor.
This message was modified Jun 24, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 7 - 16 of 177Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Re: The DC27 - to replace the DC07 & DC14. Say good-bye to the clutch.
Reply #7   Mar 13, 2009 1:25 pm
I would speculate that we have different styles of carpeting in US homes that provide more of a drag on the brush roll.   We also have lower voltage for our electronics.  I'll leave it to the "loathing independents" who fix vacuums regularly to use their expert knowledge to speculate why there are more problems with Dyson clutches here than abroad. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #8   Mar 13, 2009 2:10 pm
Long before the "many self-loathing independents" in the USA even saw a dyson upright with a clutch and brush bar, Which? categorized dyson vacuums the most problematic and repair prone for 8 straight years.  Including a problematic hose connection on dyson upright vacuums that accounted for on average 20 percent of yearly dyson repairs.  I recall a now famous lawsuit for the latter in which dyson settled with a UK complainant with settlement terms that were veiled in confidentiality.

Carmine D.

Just

Reply #9   Mar 13, 2009 4:52 pm
I can't say it so much that "We Americans" have problems with the clutch, as the clutch has problems with American carpets.   The carpets are too thick and the machine's clutch would slip and ratchet.  Carmine has told the stories many times of his poor dog running for cover.

My question would be, why does it need a clutch in the first place?  

bucks03

Reply #10   Mar 13, 2009 7:17 pm
Well I'm in UK and have had a slight problem with clutch on a DC03 and DC04.  On the DC03, the knob wouldn't stay in the 'OFF' position so when using the knob would flip itself to the 'On' position all by itself.  Dyson replaced this and it appeared to be a problem with a few DC03's at the time having a 'loose' control knob.  The replacment on the DC03 would make the awful ratchet noise sometimes when reclining the machine for use, it would do it and then operate as normal for no apparant reason - Dyson say that the clutch wasn't 'set' properly in the factory was was too sensitive.  They changed it and it was ok.

The DC04 I bought had a noisy clutch that just wasn't neccessary,  I wasn't happy with it.  Dyson changed the clutch and it has been the same clutch now for 7 years without a problem!!   The only thing is that after a while the smooth belts loose tension so it doesn't make a ratchet noise when obstructed,  I have to makie sure I move the cleaner away from the obstruction quickly - this hardly happens.   So 7 years with the same clutch is very good.

I like the clutch system and don't see a problem with it as its not an extra motor to go wrong (not saying that it will though)  I just don't understand why Dyson didn't design it from the start with tooth belts and why they used smooth belts, I will never understand that.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #11   Mar 13, 2009 11:51 pm
DC18 wrote:
Comsidering the DC15, DC18, DC24 and DC25 (yes they all use the ball technology) does not use the clutch setup why the UK version of the DC27 can not have the same setup!   The DC27 UK version is an evolved DC14 looking at the ptictures so far.  Improved Wand, Bin and cyclone setup and possible new brushroll setup!  No sign of it as yet!

1)  One issue I here from people time and time again which has not been address is the design of the main floor nozzle\head.  Due to this design it can stop you from getting into certain area's to clean like against the plint in the kitchens 2)  under the lower cupboards etc... (hence why the Dyson Ball vacs are better at this!), the DC03 addressed this issue!

DC18

1)  Interesting. 
2)  Over here some call this the "toe kick".        DIB

Model2

~ It Beats...as it Sweeps...as it Cleans ~

Reply #12   Mar 14, 2009 12:13 am
Just wrote:
I can't say it so much that "We Americans" have problems with the clutch, as the clutch has problems with American carpets.   The carpets are too thick and the machine's clutch would slip and ratchet.  Carmine has told the stories many times of his poor dog running for cover.

Over the past century, we've gone from wooden floors with area rugs, to wall-to-wall carpeting, to a 50/50 split of wood and laminate...the clutch, by allowing users to shut off the brushroll, allows you to clean both, without requiring 2 separate cleaners.

~ However Clean - Hoover Cleaner ~
CarmineD

Reply #13   Mar 14, 2009 7:44 am
Here in the USA, we are little backward.  We use a brush roll shut off rather than a $135 clutch.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #14   Mar 15, 2009 9:52 am
Just wrote:

In 1978 electrolux introduced the 1531 beast upright, the machine was given an  unlimited amount of money for R@D the machine had a clutch in it,The machine had a production run for only 2 years.It was deemed a disaster and absolute failure.

Just by thinking that if you throw money and time at  something its going to be innovative and sucessful in the market place is wishfull thinking.

The only thing innovative in vacuum land in something people can use.

regards

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #15   Mar 15, 2009 2:09 pm
mole wrote:

The only thing innovative in vacuum land in something people can use.

regards

MOLE

Well said, MOLE.  Does a hokey on a stick qualify?  Lot in use and the customers love them and use them daily.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #16   Mar 15, 2009 4:38 pm
Hi Carmine, as long as the consumer likes the motorized hoky thats all that matters,orecks are simple ,lite, clean good enough for %99.7 of the  owners,parts and repairs can be found  without making a road trip out of it,  Oreck has so many different price points from factory recons to the ultra, Its really  nice to see that oreck is surviving in this economic climate.

I will venture to say that ORECK has prospered because Dave and his family are real vacuum people,who have a passion for this business,sort of like Kirby,aerus/electrolux.

I would say that the TTI management dont even know how to use a vacuum cleaner,nevermind make one.

regards

MOLE

Replies: 7 - 16 of 177Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42