Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Vacuuming Oriental Rugs

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

Vacuuming Oriental Rugs
Original Message   Mar 12, 2009 11:14 am
Carmine,

This will probably fall under your area of expertise and experience, but all are welcome to contribute. As I transition from being unemployed to being self-employed, I am looking for more specialized services to offer my clients.

There are specialized 'rug dusters' for sale which tap the accumulated dirt, dust, sand, and grit out of Oriental rugs by laying them face down over a grid which gives the debris room to fall. These cost upwards of 4,000.00! These have been developed as an alternative to the huge stationary 240 volt dusting machines. All of this to replace regular vacuuming with a Hoover 300, 700, or 150, the ones with the dual divergent agitator bars, with shorter agitator bars and bristle strips in between on each side.

The magic of the Hoover was that the 5,000 taps per minute during slow motion vacuuming set up a wave pattern that  vibrated the rug, dislodging the dirt, sand, and grit. It was not accomplished with tremendous suction, though the airflow was good, it was the balance of enough suction to keep snapping the rug up after each tap. The sand was not actually beaten out of the rug as much as the rug was pushed down leaving the sand in mid-air to be caught by the airflow generated by the fan, as explained by the laws of Newtonian physics.

My question is this: Short of finding and restoring a few 150 Hoovers, is there any alternative? Would any later model Hoovers accept the dual divergent agitator? How late? A current Guardsman, maybe, with some alteration perhaps?

A Kirby with a cloth bag has been suggested to me. A G series will not accept a full-fledged sani-emptor, and probably is too powerful to sustain the tap/snap action. A cloth bag would yield too much airflow, and a hepa bag too little as it fills. A Heritage I with a cloth bag seems the only other possibility. The Sanitaire Vibra-Groomer I is not sufficient, about the same as the standard Hoover agitator with just one strip of beater bar per side.

The idea of being able to restore neglected Oriental rugs with simple thorough vacuuming for good pay is very appealing. As I understand it, Hoover abandoned this configuration of agitator because as area rugs gave way to wal to wall carpet, it did not grab and hold the wall-to-wall carpet as well as the newer, less expensive to produce version, which had just the one spiral strip per side. Hoover could have ruled if they had stuck to being a status symbol. Imagine being able to switch out the roller and bottom plate to adapt the vacuum to whatever carpet/rug/floor needed to be cleaned. The mind boggles, while the Hoover just beats, as it sweeps, as it cleans...

Trebor

Replies: 98 - 107 of 107Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: Vacuuming Oriental Rugs
Reply #98   Mar 26, 2009 2:20 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

Thanks for the clarification.  I was worried they didn't like me anymore.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

Not all want or know how to "have-at-it".

DIB

Just

Reply #99   Mar 26, 2009 2:47 pm
FYI, long before the Rex-Air, there was a patent for a water bath vacuum

Yes it was patented by James Kirby before he designed the Non electric model.

"The first model he developed in 1906 employed water for dirt separation. After noticing the inconvenience of emptying dirty water, he began pursuing better ideas. In 1907, he developed a vacuum that pushed dirty air into a cloth bag that filtered out the dirt."*

*http://www.kirby.com/Portals/0/kirbystory.html

Venson

Reply #100   Mar 26, 2009 3:04 pm
Just wrote:
. . . In 1907, he developed a vacuum that pushed dirty air into a cloth bag that filtered out the dirt.

How does this work within the time frame regarding developments by the Mssrs. Hoover and Spangler?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_cleaner

http://www.vdta.com/HOF/Kirby.html

Venson
This message was modified Mar 26, 2009 by Venson
Just

Reply #101   Mar 26, 2009 3:31 pm
OMG, Venson are you trying to say that Hoover didn't invent the modern vacuum cleaner, Kirby did?
Venson

Reply #102   Mar 26, 2009 4:55 pm
Just wrote:
OMG, Venson are you trying to say that Hoover didn't invent the modern vacuum cleaner, Kirby did?

Nope. Just want to learn how the efforts of all involved fit in chronolocically.

Venson
Just

Reply #103   Mar 26, 2009 5:26 pm
Venson wrote:
Nope. Just want to learn how the efforts of all involved fit in chronolocically.

Venson

Oh--well heck, I dunno.

I did know the part where James Kirby had his machines built by Royal for a short time before his marriage with S&F. 

DysonInventsBig

Reply #104   Mar 26, 2009 5:31 pm
Filing date:  March 16, 1903 - vacuum uses water as a "wet" separator.  I do know know it this pre-dates all or just many.
http://www.google.com/patents?id=nppdAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=847948&rview=1&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1#PPA3,M1
This message was modified Mar 26, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Reply #105   Mar 26, 2009 6:01 pm
Thanks DIB. The Kirby thing was portable and required water in buckets per the stuff I read.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #106   Mar 26, 2009 7:23 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Carmine,

Not all want or know how to "have-at-it".

DIB

12 July 1942, Charleston (WV) Gazette, pg. 7, col. 6:
Favorite rejoinder of Sen. Harry S. Truman, when a member of his war
contracts investigating committee objects to his strenuous pace. "If you
don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Carmine D.

Trebor

Re: Vacuuming Oriental Rugs Re: Kenney patent
Reply #107   Mar 26, 2009 9:19 pm
The Rexair used an actual device called a separator initially designed to be used without water. The introduction of water in the basin underneath the separator is considered my most vacuum historians to be the the advent of water filtration because it was 1) portable 2) electric 3) actually released water washed air back into the room, and 4) did not require a separate dry vacuum chamber. Kirby gave up on water filtration, Rexair made it a reality. I have 2 D4s which are 15 and 23 yrs old. Each has seen more use than most vacuums see in 40 yrs. Still performing like champions.

Trebor

Replies: 98 - 107 of 107Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42