Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Importance of emptying Dyson bin on time

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
bucks03

Importance of emptying Dyson bin on time
Original Message   Mar 8, 2009 1:22 pm
Hi All,

I have always wondered, why is it so important to empty Dyson when the dirt reaches the Max line?  If the machine does't have any loss of suction then surely this won't harm it at all.  I have had Dysons since 1999 and most of the time always go over the max line without any problems.

My DC04 which is 7rs old always gets the dirt going over the mark line and I continue to use it until I can be bothered to empty it,  this has not caused any problems with it.

Occasionally I have had the odd long bit of hair go onto the Pre motor filter but this happens even if the machine isn't full.   Had this quite bad on the DC05 cylinder which would have literally chunks of hair on the pre motor filter by the time it came to emptying it.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Importance of emptying Dyson bin on time
Reply #1   Mar 8, 2009 2:50 pm
bucks03 wrote:
I have always wondered, why is it so important to empty Dyson when the dirt reaches the Max line?  

Hi bucks03,

I'm happy to learn that you've had your Dyson for seven years now and that you've be able to be a little mean to it and still have it going. (Please send me suggestions for lottery numbers.) That's a plus point that even the best of consumer magazines can't reliably make comment on.

I don't have a Dyson but do have a Kenmore Progressive bagless canister (honorably retired) that basically uses the same sort of cyclonics that Dyson does -- cleans better. In any event . . .

As with all things, there have to be standards set lest people not very inclined toward regular appliance maintenance habits leave off on emptying the bin or washing filters. Clogging or filters empacted with dust will not only reduce performance but also lead to overheating. The term "bagless" still rings in the minds of many consumers as meaning that merely dumping the bin's contents in the trash ends all responsibility save for pushing the machine around the living room.

Vacuums must have as free and unimpeded air movement inside to offer best performance.

I don't live at your house so I won't presume to offer a reason why your Dyson has done well and others have bit the dust in far less time. Maybe it's the kind of stuff you pick up. A lot of fluff being picked up may allow you to go longer without emptying. On the other hand, a small quantity of fine dust may have a vacuum user finding quick reduction performance.

My Kenmore filtered quite well as long as the shroud area inside the bin was free of blockage. However, if bits of paper and other debris began to collect there the cyclonics process began to break down and larger amounts of dust began to collect on the foam pre-filter. My cleaner's performance was pretty good either way but I found life easier -- and less worrisome -- if I just went ahead and regularly checked and cleaned the filters. The foam filter required washing most but the HEPA stayed clean.

Also, if you own a car, would you ignore suggested maintenance? Most likely -- no. Why? Because problems due to lack of maintenance may cost you sizable sums of money to fix. The same applies for even good appliances. Owner neglect may well lead to prohibitive repair or replacement cost.

If I may make a suggestion, why not buy an extra set of filters. You can simply remove and wash one set and set it aside until you're ready to clean the up while you install and use the already clean set. This might seem less an inconvenience in regard to maintenance.

Regards,

Venson
This message was modified Mar 8, 2009 by Venson
DysonInventsBig

Reply #2   Mar 8, 2009 6:01 pm
Bucks03,

No Loss of Suction is based on advertising and testing standards, not mechanics.  By comparison - Dyson can legally advertise “No Loss of Suction”, while the worlds bag makers cannot.

Mechanically:
The Dyson low efficiency cyclone’s (clear bin) job is to collect as much dust and debris as possible.  Retaining fine dust within the bin is more preferred than not.  Filling past the recommended Max Line - dust loads the high efficiency cyclone[s].  The Euro-Pro Infinity vacuum inventor has been trying for many years to collect as much fine dust as possible within the low efficiency cyclone (clear bin).

Consumer product:
In terms of maintenance (cleaning), the manufacturer who can design a shroud that needs little or no maintenance is the better shroud.  Buy overfilling and dust loading the shroud and high efficiency cyclones - dust does begin to line the shrouds through-holes and/or hair wrap.  Asking the user to clean or remove hair from the shroud unnecessarily is not a good consumer product and is not in Dyson’s or a users best interest.

DIB
This message was modified Mar 9, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #3   Mar 9, 2009 7:46 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Bucks03,

No Loss of Suction is based on advertising and testing standards, not mechanics. 

DIB

It's a false claim which cannot be proved mechanically and scientifically.

Carmine D. 

HARDSELL

Reply #4   Mar 9, 2009 9:12 am
CarmineD wrote:
It's a false claim which cannot be proved mechanically and scientifically.

Carmine D. 

Why can't it be proven?
lazaruspup

Reply #5   Mar 9, 2009 12:12 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Why can't it be proven?

Because contrary to popular belief, the Dyson DOES lose suction. I am not an expert, nor a physics professor, but I know from owning two different models as well as cleaning two other people's Dysons, after about a year or so, they tend to slack off. With regular filter maintenance, which by the way was performed, my DC21 performed well. However, at about month 16, I noticed the hair pickup and dust pickup from the hardwoods was suffering. I took the dust bin assembly apart to find almost 3/4 of the tiny separator holes in the shroud clogged full of fine dust and animal dander. The dirty, nasty job of cleaning it was putrid. I cleaned it up and put it back together. It definitely worked better afterwards. I also had to do the same to my DC07 Animal and my neighbor's DC07 All Floors. None of these machines showed any matter of fine dust clogging the filter, it was all in the separator. When I started incurring problems with the cann model again this last year, I took it to the repair shop locally who services Dyson and his exact words were.... "Dysons require a tremendous amount of dirty maintenance" and "because fo the manner of plastic used inside of a Dyson, the only way to truly get rid of dog smell inside one is to replace it". I did the sheet of paper test on my neighbor's DC07 before and after cleaning the cyclones and the difference was astounding. I thought it would rip the paper out of my hand, post cleaning. This just goes to show, you have to take care of your vac if you want it to work. There is no vac that says, no maintenance, no service, but there are those that require more than others.
HARDSELL

Reply #6   Mar 9, 2009 1:54 pm
lazaruspup wrote:
Because contrary to popular belief, the Dyson DOES lose suction. I am not an expert, nor a physics professor, but I know from owning two different models as well as cleaning two other people's Dysons, after about a year or so, they tend to slack off. With regular filter maintenance, which by the way was performed, my DC21 performed well. However, at about month 16, I noticed the hair pickup and dust pickup from the hardwoods was suffering. I took the dust bin assembly apart to find almost 3/4 of the tiny separator holes in the shroud clogged full of fine dust and animal dander. The dirty, nasty job of cleaning it was putrid. I cleaned it up and put it back together. It definitely worked better afterwards. I also had to do the same to my DC07 Animal and my neighbor's DC07 All Floors. None of these machines showed any matter of fine dust clogging the filter, it was all in the separator. When I started incurring problems with the cann model again this last year, I took it to the repair shop locally who services Dyson and his exact words were.... "Dysons require a tremendous amount of dirty maintenance" and "because fo the manner of plastic used inside of a Dyson, the only way to truly get rid of dog smell inside one is to replace it". I did the sheet of paper test on my neighbor's DC07 before and after cleaning the cyclones and the difference was astounding. I thought it would rip the paper out of my hand, post cleaning. This just goes to show, you have to take care of your vac if you want it to work. There is no vac that says, no maintenance, no service, but there are those that require more than others.

That is an excellent explanation.  It does prove that Dyson loses suction when not properly maintained.  It does not take science to prove many things. Contrary to what I responded to it can be proven with a mechanical tool if suction can be measured.

bucks03

Reply #7   Mar 9, 2009 2:33 pm
Venson wrote:

Also, if you own a car, would you ignore suggested maintenance? Most likely -- no. Why? Because problems due to lack of maintenance may cost you sizable sums of money to fix. The same applies for even good appliances. Owner neglect may well lead to prohibitive repair or replacement cost.

If I may make a suggestion, why not buy an extra set of filters. You can simply remove and wash one set and set it aside until you're ready to clean the up while you install and use the already clean set. This might seem less an inconvenience in regard to maintenance.

Regards,

Venson

Hi Venson,

I would not neglect the maintenance of the car because wll, the car has so much more to go wrong, thers engine oil, cam belt, air filter, steerting wheel liquid, coolant etc etc.         It is not possible to compare the two.  With regards to Dyson bin emptying I do not worry, this is the same with regards to cleaning the filter, I don't always clean according to the schedule as the filter in my vacuum cleaner filter doesn't get too clogged, my house isn't very dirty - it would be different if there were smokers in the house, the filter would get coated in fine dust quicker,  only think I have on my filter mainly is the odd fine hair that has escaped the cyclone.

With regards to buying another filter, again I do not see this has neccessary,  the whole 7 years I have had my Dyson it has been fine with the original filter that has been washed at least twice a year.

There was a guy that I used to vacuum clean his house after school in 1998 - 99, he has a DC02 which still works today,  he NEVER changed the filter on this machine, just used to vacuum the dust off the filter with another vacuum cleaner sometimes,  the filter must have become less effective and fine dust seeped into the motor but his machine worked perfectly, the only think is the I had to fix the power cord as it became damaged from pulling out the cord too hard, it broke internally, this was quickly fixed and the machine was back working again.  The only thing I noticed is that the Dyson DC02 would run quite hot, this was normal across the board with early Dyson cylinders.  The Dyson cyclone system causes a natural resistance which you can hear when the cyclone is disconnected and then when you connect it the motor pitch increases.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #8   Mar 9, 2009 2:55 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

That is an excellent explanation.  It does prove that Dyson loses suction when not properly maintained.  It does not take science to prove many things. Contrary to what I responded to it can be proven with a mechanical tool if suction can be measured.

Hardsell,

I'm a little confused.  lazaruspup DID FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.  He cleaned the filters regularly.  He said that the obstruction came from dirt build up in the cyclones. It sounds like Dyson needs to be designed so that the cyclone assembly can go through the dishwasher once a year or so.  It's kind of like the cholesterol in your arteries building up and reducing flow. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #9   Mar 9, 2009 5:07 pm
Severus wrote:
Hardsell,

I'm a little confused.  lazaruspup DID FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.  He cleaned the filters regularly.  He said that the obstruction came from dirt build up in the cyclones. It sounds like Dyson needs to be designed so that the cyclone assembly can go through the dishwasher once a year or so.  It's kind of like the cholesterol in your arteries building up and reducing flow. 

Excellent idea.  Same cleaning technique performed by many users for Rainbows' separators.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 9, 2009 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #10   Mar 9, 2009 5:28 pm
bucks03 wrote:
Hi Venson,

I would not neglect the maintenance of the car because wll, the car has so much more to go wrong, thers engine oil, cam belt, air filter, steerting wheel liquid, coolant etc etc. It is not possible to compare the two.

Hi bucks03,

I feel there is a real comparison and the issue becomes more a matter of whomever' personal comfort zones. In short, if you spend money to buy anything but don't do maintenance regarding the look of it, its potential to provided continued and good service then the item's ability to endure and provide satisfactory results while in use may not be taken as a given.

I have a car and it has needs that do not need tending to all at once or all the time. I love the car but hate having to fiddle with it so O try to sstay on top of things. As well, I cannot afford to have a sudden necessity for the management of a number of maintenance needs all at crop up at one time. Though I find it annoying, as you've correctly stated there are dozens of things to keep tabs on, I try to get things done before they become an absolute must. The same applies for my vacuums. Just because I hit the switch and it turns on does not mean all's well. Thus, I make an effort to keep bags and filters on hand so that I needn't worry about over-filling and also make regular checks in regard to brushrolls, belts, etc. (My standard is to only allow bags to get to three-fourths full.) Having gotten into the habit early on, my manner of maintenances helps lift my day a little by my knowing that I have at least one less thing to worry about. That's a good thing.

Venson
Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42