Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > See how Dyson technologies are selling at some of the big box stores...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

See how Dyson technologies are selling at some of the big box stores...
Original Message   Mar 6, 2009 2:50 am
Walmart:  Vacuums and Floor Care > All Floor care > Top Seller

Best Buy:  Vacuums and Floor Care > [all] Upright Vacuums > Best Selling

Sears:  Vacuums and Floor Care > On front [lower half] of page  > Featured Items/Vacuums & Floor Care > Top Sellers
(Sears has no search filtering for "Best Selling", although Sears has "Top Sellers" listed on their front page of Vacuums and Floor Care).
This message was modified Mar 6, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 3 - 12 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Re: See how Dyson technologies are selling at some of the big box stores...
Reply #3   Mar 6, 2009 10:34 am
With all due respect, the data at the .com sites does not reflect what consumers are doing at the big box stores.  In the stores, the best selling vacuums are far different than what is purchased by the more affluent internet purchasers.  I have never seen anyone buying a Dyson at my Walmart; however, I've seen hundreds of Bissells, Eurekas, and Dirt Devils being sold.  Perhaps this is due to the fact that I typically visit Walmart late at night, but that's my take. 

DysonInventsBig wrote:

Walmart:  Vacuums and Floor Care > All Floor care > Top Seller

Best Buy:  Vacuums and Floor Care > [all] Upright Vacuums > Best Selling

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Motorhead

Reply #4   Mar 6, 2009 1:20 pm
CarmineD wrote:
With all due respect, I would add the caveat:  "See how lesser expensive versions of dyson bagless vacuums are selling.................

I note too that TARGET in store sales are discounting/offering gift cards of $75 on the purchase of a DC24 for $399.  Unadvertised specials in an effort to jump start sales waning sales.

Carmine D.

This can be applied everywhere, not just to Dyson, let's remember that most of the recent Oreck sales account for the less expensive models as well. 

Price doesn't matter here.  Less expensive or more expensive, Dysons are still flying off the shelves.  That proves only one thing:  Even with this recent economic situation, people still have to clean their houses!  I'd also go out on a limb to say that could influence someone's decision to go bagless.  Bags, belts, and filters still cost money over time; with a Dyson you're eliminating that entirely so the difference in price over a less expensive bagged cleaner is justified within a few years of use, if not less.

I notice the Hoover Whisper is currently listed as Wal-Mart's top seller.  As I mentioned when I first bought it, it's a fantastic machine for the price, and that was when they were priced at $120.  At just under $100 now, it's a *steal* for anyone who wants the performance of a DC07 or DC14 but doesn't want to/can't shell out $300+ for one of those.  I'm actually dumbfounded that those nasty Bissells and Dirt Devils are still selling now that the Whisper's been around for over 8 months.  I just hope the motors don't burn up after a year and they haven't cheapened the design, the first models on the shelves had surprisingly decent construction.
This message was modified Mar 6, 2009 by Motorhead
CarmineD

Reply #5   Mar 6, 2009 2:18 pm
Motorhead wrote:
This can be applied everywhere, not just to Dyson.................

The thread subject is about dyson technologies and big box retailers [which don't sell ORECK-s].   If the MSRP on a DC24 is $399 [the latest and greatest lightweight dyson on a ball] and the big box retailers are offering/matching incentives of $75 off that price [$324],  then they are not selling at the MSRP.

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #6   Mar 6, 2009 2:21 pm
"With all due respect, the data at the .com sites does not reflect what consumers are doing at the big box stores.  In the stores, the best selling vacuums are far different than what is purchased by the more affluent internet purchasers.  I have never seen anyone buying a Dyson at my Walmart; however, I've seen hundreds of Bissells, Eurekas, and Dirt Devils being sold.  Perhaps this is due to the fact that I typically visit Walmart late at night, but that's my take."   Severus.

Points well taken.  

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #7   Mar 6, 2009 2:27 pm
Motorhead wrote:

Price doesn't matter here.  Less expensive or more expensive, Dysons are still flying off the shelves. 

Price most assuredly does matter with dyson sales and technologies [bagless and ball].  Hence the need for retailers to offer incentives from the dyson MSRP [which in the case in point for a DC24 exceeds the 10 percent dyson MAP and the reason it is unadvertised and the in-store price].

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #8   Mar 6, 2009 2:34 pm
Motorhead wrote:
 I'd also go out on a limb to say that could influence someone's decision to go bagless.  Bags, belts, and filters still cost money over time; with a Dyson you're eliminating that entirely so the difference in price over a less expensive bagged cleaner is justified within a few years of use, if not less.

These are selling points better made by vacuum professionals in the independent vacuum stores not by the sales people at big box retailers.   Sadly, the primary dyson sales venues are the big box stores which are suffering enormous profit and sales losses.  Many are and will go belly up.  These stores are culling their high price goods [like dyson vacuums] for lower price product that moves more quickly off the shelves. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #9   Mar 6, 2009 2:40 pm
Motorhead wrote:
who wants the performance of a DC07 or DC14 but doesn't want to/can't shell out $300+ for one of those. 

If you suggesting that DC07 and DC14's are more properly priced at $300 in the big box stores, I am in agreement.  $250-$300 should be the top tier vacuum prices at the big box stores [most especially in the current economic times].  Above that price, vacuum consumers are better served shopping and buying at their local independent vacuum stores for value.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #10   Mar 6, 2009 2:51 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Price most assuredly does matter with dyson sales and technologies [bagless and ball].  Hence the need for retailers to offer incentives from the dyson MSRP [which in the case in point for a DC24 exceeds the 10 percent dyson MAP and the reason it is unadvertised and the in-store price].

Carmine D.

As I recall DIB [originator of the thread] purchased a DC15 for $300 from BEST BUY when the MSRP was $499 and $599.  Price matters.

I purchased a new DC07 pink for $250 when the MSRP was $439.   Price matters.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #11   Mar 6, 2009 2:57 pm
Motorhead wrote:

I notice the Hoover Whisper is currently listed as Wal-Mart's top seller.  As I mentioned when I first bought it, it's a fantastic machine for the price, and that was when they were priced at $120.  At just under $100 now, it's a *steal*

I would categorize a steal as a $100 product price for the same technology offered on $400 plus products.  Hence the reason for their popularity and sales.  I wouldn't categorize a $20 savings on a $120 MSRP vacuum at a big box store as a steal.   It's a very good buy.  When the $100/$120 product performance matchs or bests that of the comparable $400 plus models then it's a steal!

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Mar 6, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #12   Mar 6, 2009 3:09 pm
Finally,  take note that sales of dysons and market share have decreased over time in all sales venues and countries, despite the innovative technologies and costs savings that the bagless dyson advocates so oft claim.  This is due in large part to better and less expensive competition that fares as good and better when matched side by side to dysons.  A clear signal that price at least for bagless and ball technologies matters.

Carmine D.

Replies: 3 - 12 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42