Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Vacuum Cleaner and related - in the news...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Vacuum Cleaner and related - in the news...
Original Message   Feb 28, 2009 10:05 pm
http://www.prw.com/subscriber/headlines2.html?cat=1&id=1235734158
This message was modified Feb 28, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Vacuum Cleaner and related - in the news...
Reply #1   Mar 1, 2009 6:55 am
Thanks DIB, interestring article on the oft overlooked, underappreciated and forgotten vacuum cleaner belt.  Note where most are going.

Here's another comparing current Steam Mops on the market that was done recently by the Wall Street Journal's writer Willa Plank.  I would have preferred comparisons to the HOOVER Floormate and told her so.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123559942270976007.html

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 1, 2009 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #2   Mar 1, 2009 10:44 am
Thanks DIB. I was glad to learn that they're exporting to Asia. Makes the playing field a little more level.

Venson
Venson

Reply #3   Mar 1, 2009 11:45 am
CarmineD wrote:
Note where most are going.<p>Here's another comparing current Steam Mops on the market that was done recently by the Wall Street Journal's writer Willa Plank.  I would have preferred comparisons to the HOOVER Floormate and told her so.</p><p>http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123559942270976007.html</p><p>Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Steam cleaners and FloorMate are two different animals and it is hard to make comparision. On the side of steam cleaners that only use hot steam, there is no need to buy detergent. In FloorMate's case Hoover only recommends using its "specially designed" cleaners and that costs more money than need be spent. Do note that when I had mine I used regular detergents without problem.

I had a FloorMate and but am far more pleased with my vapor steam cleaner. It is not like the steam cleaners in the article. However, as with those compared I don't buy detergent any longer other than that for washing out the cleaning pad and cloths I work with. (No special job. Just toss them in with just about anything else come laundry day.)

The big attraction to FloorMate for me was the possibility of cutting steps -- one machine to vacuum AND mop with instead of two devices for the one job. The big problem was that it never quite worked out that way. While in use at my place, it was used to clean up after two senior citizens and four dogs who shed. This meant vacuuming with and then cleaning its rather small filter before mopping with it. If the filter is not clean after vacuuming it affects the machine's potential regarding water pick up. I also was disappointed with its scrubbing ability. Though okay for light duty, I found FloorMate really wussy when it gets around to heel marks and the like. You end up having to handle rough spots by hand just as you do when using a regular mop.

I also own and have really been happy with the unfortunately discontinued Hoover Floor-A-Matic. Though it does not get you around vacuuming or sweeping it is capable of picking up soiled cleaning solution. It possesses a screen that fits between the squeegee blades up front to keep any debris missed after vacuuming from being sucked up. Nonetheless, since I acquired my first vapor steam cleaner, it too has been retired.

My vapor steam cleaner looks a lot like a canister vacuum as it has wheels, a hose and wands. It has cloth bonnets that slip on and off easily for floor cleaning and if scuff marks have to be dealt with it has tool to fit scrubbing pads to just as easily. I also have attachments for cleaning just about everything. My steam cleaner works wonders on grungy stoves, bathrooms and woodwork. Speaking of wood, far less moisture is applied when cleaning sealed wood flooring.

Though long in use in Europe, I hope steam continue to be enhanced in form that will lead to a greater attraction for the American public. Price is an issue. A good steam cleaner can run run from a couple hundred dollars to over a thousand. Why that should be I have not yet figured out other than there's not a lot of need for consumables. For most brands cleaning cloths (plain old cotton dish towels) can be bought cheaply any old place.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #4   Mar 1, 2009 5:23 pm
Hi Venson:

The HOOVER Floor-a-matic was a champion.  Small tanks as I recall but great performance.

I explained to Willa Plank that I don't use detergents in my HOOVER Floomate and never have.  Just hot tap water.  With the Floormate brushes, not the soft but the stiff, hot tap water works fine.  Agree on the vacuuming prowess or more correctly lack thereof.  I usually use the ORECK first to vacuum the tiles.  Then, the HOOVER Floormate.   The floor professionals tell me not to use steam/harsh detergents on our ceramic tile [Mohawk].  I don't use the latter, not just for the tile reasons, but due to the dog.  Sensitive and allergic to the chemicals. 

What I like the best about the HOOVER Floormate is that my lab generally likes to assist me with the floor cleaning job.  The almost instantaneous drying feature of the Floormate allows her to help w/o me having to go back over where she's been.  True for the 3 grands too.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #5   Mar 1, 2009 5:45 pm
Venson and Carmine.  You're welcome.

Kirby in the news...
http://www.courant.com/business/hc-watchdog0301.artmar01-col,0,3026352.column
This message was modified Mar 1, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Reply #6   Mar 2, 2009 2:57 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Venson and Carmine.  You're welcome.<BR><BR>Kirby in the news...<BR>http://www.courant.com/business/hc-watchdog0301.artmar01-col,0,3026352.column

Hi DIB,

Similar stories pop up often and I don't think only the Kirby name comes up in the telling. It happens with just about all the the niche brands sold door to door at one point or another. By the way, I just read an article that claimed Kirby, which sells worldwide, pulls in about 400 million dollars a year.

I think the selling of high-priced goods to persons that obviously display little faculty for making sound choices is . . . . Well, I don't know exactly what it should be called -- just plain theft or running a confidence game. Kirby is a good vacuum as far as cleaning ability and durability are concerned so I do not understand why it or similar companies involved with such people are not well known for breaking off their relationships with distributors or door-to-vendors when such infractions come to light.

From what I've seen over the years, a large part of the people selling neither care or know what they're selling. They just want to make some money and don't care even if their own personal dignity is sacrificed in the process.

I was very glad to read that in Ms. Ferro-Tomlin's case a remedy came although not easily regarding the case of her aunt with Alzheimers. If Miele and other manufacturers can set pricing mandates for vendors, I hope Kirby and other like companies get around to setting concrete policy that the majority of their vendors will follow.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #7   Mar 2, 2009 7:17 am
I excerpted this from the news article and I recall that SEVERUS recently posted this KIRBY return policy here for persons over 67:

"Halle A. Haniewich, the Kirby manufacturer's manager of business compliance, says the firm has a special "Golden Ager" policy that allows anyone at least 67 or with a disability to return a vacuum cleaner for any reason within one year of purchase. All of the franchises must follow the policy, he wrote in an e-mail Friday afternoon."

Several weeks ago, a news story was widely covered about a 90 year old WW11 veteran living alone in Michigan.  He died in his home from the cold temperatures after the local power company turned off his electricty and consequently the heat.  He was warned several times in writing to pay the deliquent charges but it appears he never read his mail.  The ulitility company also installed a switch on the outdoor meter that allows him to turn the electricity on, but required him to go outdoors to do it.  He didn't.  The old timer had $600,000 plus in cash in the bank and his house.  Sad.  Moral of the story:  Don't get old.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 2, 2009 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #8   Mar 2, 2009 9:31 am
CarmineD wrote:
. . . Moral of the story:  Don't get old.

Carmine D.

Believe me Carmine, I'm trying not to.

A large part of the problem is that so much of customer relations is becoming computerized. Lots of stuff falls through the cracks. My cable company and many other vendors send computerized phone/printed alerts to remind me its time to pay up. It would seem to me that a knock on the door from the meter reader or a couple more phone calls from a real live customer service person might have saved the day.

As well, here in New York we're cautious about getting into other folks' business meaning that some neighbor might like to be helpful in regard to the senior citizen down the hall but upon thinking on it doesn't try. Single seniors without family or able younger friends nearby are in line for lots of problems. Guess that's why assisted living facilities are big business now. However, they are not something everyone can afford.

By the way -- we've got snow comin' down big time today. Remember that?

Venson
Just

Reply #9   Mar 2, 2009 11:18 am
There has been some discussion recently on this board regarding DTD sales see.  "How to handle a DTD Salesman" on this board.

Here is the related article;

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2008/09/kirby-vacuums.html

Arising from the ways that the dealers were treating the elderly, according to this article; Kirby now allows a one year return policy for older americans. 

Thre was a story in Arizona where a woman with failing mental capacities was sold and resold almost a dozen vacuums in a very short amount of time.  The daughter sued the local Kirby distributor and they were forced to return the woman's money.  I will say that there are other high pressure DTDs out there, Kirby just has the bad rap.  I understand that they are being told to do better as it is hurting an otherwise good vacuum reputation.

CarmineD

Reply #10   Mar 3, 2009 6:45 am
Venson wrote:
Believe me Carmine, I'm trying not to.

By the way -- we've got snow comin' down big time today. Remember that?

Venson

Hi Venson:

Try hard, my friend.

Vaguely............. and I don't care if I ever do anymore.  Great for the kiddies.  After 2 falls on ice within 2 years and 2 wrecked knees, don't need it, don't want it and can live without it!

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42