Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > which Mieles are made in China?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Vacuumfreeeke

which Mieles are made in China?
Original Message   Feb 26, 2009 12:18 pm
I was surprised to learn that my Miele canister is made in China.  I have the Miele Plus.  I was looking at the sticker on the machine after awesome cleaning session with Mr. Miele and noticed in very small letters that it is made in China.... but some of the components come from Germany and others come from China.  Are any Mieles made in Germany, or is that just where the company is headquartered?  I don't love the vacuum any less, just thought that was interesting.  Maybe things made in Germany aren't that great anyway... .My Rowenta Surflline iron has been a disappointment for quite some time!
Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
cjvnfgp

Re: which Mieles are made in China?
Reply #12   May 17, 2010 5:16 am
Haha, my Miele canister is made in China too!
vacmanuk

Reply #13   May 17, 2010 7:54 am
So you see Chaps, not all things made in China are crap!
CarmineD

Reply #14   May 17, 2010 8:02 am
vacmanuk wrote:
So you see Chaps, not all things made in China are crap!

Still like to hear/get RAD's take on this.

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #15   May 17, 2010 1:29 pm
Hello everyone!

ALL the 360 swivels, along with the Powerhouse upright  series are DISCO'ED!
The S2 is made in Germany, as is the S7 series

Trebor
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #16   May 17, 2010 2:09 pm
Trebor wrote:
Hello everyone!

ALL the 360 swivels, along with the Powerhouse upright  series are DISCO'ED!
The S2 is made in Germany, as is the S7 series

Trebor

Yes, we have known for a long time that the Powerhouse series and canisters w/swivel hoses are DISCONT'D.  Both of these series may still be available at independent vac shops, if you preferred this design over the new.

As for China-made, well it all depend on how it is made.  There are some good products(vacuum cleaners) coming out of China.
CarmineD

Reply #17   May 18, 2010 8:36 am
Mike_W wrote:
Yes, we have known for a long time that the Powerhouse series and canisters w/swivel hoses are DISCONT'D.  Both of these series may still be available at independent vac shops, if you preferred this design over the new.

As for China-made, well it all depend on how it is made.  There are some good products(vacuum cleaners) coming out of China.

Has nothing to do with good/bad made Chinese products.  Despite world/Chinese acrimony over currency values [yuan is estimated to be artificially devalued by at least 25%] and trade issues, the world and China are mutually dependent.  Like a junkie and a drug dealer, countries' economies, like the US and Europe, can't go without their fix of Chinese money to help it float debt to balance their budgets.  For its part, China needs a ready market for its exports and then a place to park the cash it earns and make investments to grow its standard of living.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 18, 2010 by CarmineD
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #18   May 18, 2010 2:01 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Has nothing to do with good/bad made Chinese products.  Despite world/Chinese acrimony over currency values [yuan is estimated to be artificially devalued by at least 25%] and trade issues, the world and China are mutually dependent.  Like a junkie and a drug dealer, countries' economies, like the US and Europe, can't go without their fix of Chinese money to help it float debt to balance their budgets.  For its part, China needs a ready market for its exports and then a place to park the cash it earns and make investments to grow its standard of living.

Carmine D.

My comment has more to do w/quality, which is more a concern for people, and not the Wall Street Journal, Nightly Business Report, or whatever you watch/read.
This message was modified May 18, 2010 by Mike_W
CarmineD

Reply #19   May 18, 2010 2:05 pm
Mike_W wrote:
My comment has more to do w/quality, which is more a concern for people, and not the Wall Street Journal, Nightly Business Report, or whatever you watch/read.

All the above and then some.  Thanks for taking note.

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #20   May 18, 2010 5:32 pm
Hello Carmine, a good explaination of world economics, thank you.

On a general point (to all participants) is it still at all reasonable to say that the majority of high value products made in the Far East are poor quality and / or unreliable? This was certainly said in the 1970s, when the west had a booming, home grown automotive trade and, yes, the new entrants took a while to get going, but they soon learnt to overcome the arrogance of the western manufacturers and in turn, the trade unions.

If a company had a good reputation for quality / innovation and gives the buyer what they want, that's good enough for me, no matter where they might be based. The 'warm glow' gained from holding a product made / screwed together in the west wouldn't count for much, with many, if it was also sub-standard / poor value for money.

Sure, there might be a local / national economic benefit for supporting 'one of your own' in your choice of purchases, but there will be a breaking point where you're asking someone to put far too much value on where it is made, for the direct benefit they are getting

One additional thought, I think a lot of confusion still surrounds and where product design and manufacturing takes place these days.

At one time, the design and production faculty needed to be under the same roof, for efficiency. Technology has changed this. Big time.

In the UK, we have a vastly reduced share of mass market automobile production, but we are still highly competitive when it come to the calibre of vehicle design graduates. This means that a lot of high value-added, low unit work can be done here for the likes of Mclaren, but also on designs for mass-market vehicles that will be manufactured wherever it makes sense in terms of cost / geographic location. The blur between where something is assembled and 'made' has never been greater.

You can also take the above example and apply it to the pharmaceutical industry in the west, which, after the costs for R&D / clinical trials are considered, can have a very high added value from a patent and hence will most often manufacture locally, because there is next to no benefit from having these products made elsewhere.
CarmineD

Reply #21   May 18, 2010 6:13 pm
Thank you M00seUK:

I used the "junkie" and "drug dealer" analogy for a reason.  Junkies are dependent on their dealers.  Dealers have the final control.  What if the dealers dump the junkies?  Or worse insist on higher prices?  With this control and power comes the ability to cheapen product and charge the same/more.  Especially later down the road when the junkie [country's economy] is in real trouble and can't find other buyers [dealers] of our debt.  Greece is a good example.  Greece is at the mercy of the EU for a bailout and its survival as a nation.  What's to stop China from dictating to US and EU countries if these countries need China to continue to buy their debt?

It's a slippery slope.  There's no worry when there are buyers for US/EU debt.  What happens when the buyers dry up and/or insist on higher yields.  The pressure will only mount. 

Carmine D.

PS: $54 BILLION in USA taxpayer funds went to the IMF [International Monetary Fund] to bailout Greece.  It's my taxpayer money but I didn't give the approval for this funding.  Quite the opposite, I would have declined.  Why should I pay for years and years of the Greek's liberal government entitlement programs. 

This message was modified May 18, 2010 by CarmineD
Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42