Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > More proof Red-Hoover is “stuck for an answer”...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Feb 22, 2009 4:03 pm
Dyson did the Academy Awards back in 2005, with a 1) presenters gift bag and 2) television spot...  Tonight on the Academy Awards, Red-Hoover once again copies Dyson’s creativity.  More proof Red-Hoover is “stuck for an answer” when it comes to creative leadership and “never been done before” innovation.  The Red-Hoover Academy Awards gift bag and commercial is proving Dyson to be smart.

Dyson leds, Red copies.

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/apr2005/nf2005041_8000_db016.htm
This message was modified Feb 24, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 8 - 17 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Reply #8   Feb 23, 2009 7:47 pm
lazaruspup wrote:
I can't speak for the Vax unit as I've never used it but I can say the Dyson is useless. It was returned so badly that Dyson pulled it from market and it was years before they introduced another canister to the US market. That's a major flop. As for copying, the design is quite different from the Dyson DC11. The biggest problem with the DC11 was the crap air powered turbo brush. It groomed nothing and the hose was so short you almost had to pick it up and carry it around with you as you vacuumed. Like I said, I don't knock a product until I've used it and know it firsthand. Have you had the chance to use a Vax canister? Probably not...

lazaruspup,
I do not need to import or try out a VAX, when I’m looking at a photo.  I am talking of VAX reverse engineering Dyson’s technology - the dual bin with dual cyclone clusters.  If Red-VAX had put the cyclone cluster into the bin what-so-ever that would of been patent infringement.  On this thread I am not talking of what performs better, I’ll leave this up the the vacuum cleaner connoisseurs and magazines.  I am only talking of who is doing the work, who is doing the discoveries, who invents first, who is first to market or who creates a new market, who leads and who takes.  Dyson leads, Red takes.

The DC11 hose, and turbo nozzle were awful, and I did not like the TW either.  For every product defeat, Dyson has done remarkable things and has contributed much wealth for those who knock him off.  Can you name a manufacturer that comes close to Dyson in terms of contributions (in the last 20 years)?  Or innovations other manufacturers must have?  The list of Dyson elements that have been taken by competing manufacturers is very, very long.  Dyson competitors have little, to nothing of any technological value that Dyson could possibly need or want.

DIB
This message was modified Feb 23, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #9   Feb 23, 2009 8:52 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
On this thread I am not talking of what performs better, I’ll leave this up the the vacuum cleaner connoisseurs and magazines.  I am only talking of who is doing the work, who is doing the discoveries, who invents first, who is first to market or who creates a new market, who leads and who takes.  Dyson leads, Red takes.

DIB

HOOVER TTI wins the Oscar from the Academy this year for best vacuum products [and in previous years] is for all the reasons you list above.  HOOVER TTI performs better [ref: Consumer Reports March 2009]; HOOVER TTI leads the industry with new product introes.  Like 6 new Platinum edition floorcare products, all with 6 year warranty, not counting all the bagged/bagless up/cann 100 Anniversary models.  More products with better warranty than your fave brand. HOOVER TTI did the industry discoveries: i.e, Cordless power stick with full size WT cleaning power and OBT for $179; Accucharge battery charging technology which earns its products the Energy Star award and run periods twice as long as the best on the market.  None of your fave brand models have these.  And HOOVER TTI brought them to market first for the industry.  

HOOVER TTI and its employees win the Oscar and get the red carpet treatment.  You and your brand employees don't get bonuses, don't go to the Oscars, and stay home.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 23, 2009 by CarmineD
lazaruspup

Reply #10   Feb 23, 2009 9:09 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Can you name a manufacturer that comes close to Dyson in terms of contributions (in the last 20 years)?  Or innovations other manufacturers must have?  The list of Dyson elements that have been taken by competing manufacturers is very, very long.  Dyson competitors have little, to nothing of any technological value that Dyson could possibly need or want.<BR><BR>DIB

Hmm, well there is the twin fan upright design, dual motor upright design(which I believe even Dyson "ripped" off on newer uprights, HEPA bagged uprights/canns, sealed air uprights and canns, Windtunnel technology, UV technology, I could go on and on, every mfr contributes something, but in the end what matters is what works... not who did it first. Heck Xerox invented the graphical user interface and a guy at Stanford invented the mouse, but Apple popularized it, so who do you think gets more credit? Anyone can come up with a great idea and be compensated for it but its those who make that idea popular and bring it to the masses whether it be by affordability, mass production, or just sheer marketing genius gets the gold in the end. Dyson got his gold but his product is not withstanding the ages and now he's paying for it.
CarmineD

Reply #11   Feb 24, 2009 7:03 am
lazaruspup wrote:
....but in the end what matters is what works... not who did it first. .....Anyone can come up with a great idea and be compensated for it but it's those who make that idea popular and bring it to the masses whether it be by affordability, mass production, or just sheer marketing genius who gets the gold in the end.

So.....we call the first upright vacuum cleaner a HOOVER and not a Spangler.  HOOVER vacuums are 100 plus years old, and James Spangler is dead and gone [RIP].  HOOVER gets top billing from Consumer Reports [March 2009] and wins the 81 Academy Awards [again].   

Carmine D. 

DysonInventsBig

Reply #12   Feb 24, 2009 1:42 pm
lazaruspup wrote:
Hmm, well there is the twin fan upright design, dual motor upright design(which I believe even Dyson "ripped" off on newer uprights, HEPA bagged uprights/canns, sealed air uprights and canns, Windtunnel technology, UV technology, I could go on and on, every mfr contributes something, but in the end what matters is what works... not who did it first. Heck Xerox invented the graphical user interface and a guy at Stanford invented the mouse, but Apple popularized it, so who do you think gets more credit? Anyone can come up with a great idea and be compensated for it but its those who make that idea popular and bring it to the masses whether it be by affordability, mass production, or just sheer marketing genius gets the gold in the end. Dyson got his gold but his product is not withstanding the ages and now he's paying for it.

Steve Jobs:  Steve Jobs thrives on being first and saying so... over and over.  Being first has many advantages.  Jobs typically takes many shots at Microsoft at MacWorld for copying Apples innovations.  One of the latest PC Mac guy commercial spoofs Microsoft’s blatant copying of Apple.  Jobs purchased, not stole or reversed engineered the GUI from Xerox and then made GUI history.

Hepa:  Per Google patent searching/results - *Amway was first with the Hepa inside a household vacuum cleaner.  Using a Hepa is not patentable.

The dual fan, dual motor (brushroll motor?) are all in the public domain.  Running seals on a vacuum is not new nor a technology (IMO).  Although [some] Miele Dealers will have people think the sealed system is a technology, is special and is exclusive to Miele.

Does “every manufacturer contribute something” (of commercial value - a must have idea)?  No. - A patent check will prove this out.

Dyson vacuums and repairs:  There are major differences between the bad mouthing of Dyson dealers and the consumer magazines (CR and Which).  The mags say the Dyson’s are reliable, the bad mouthers or those who profit [more profit] from selling vac’s with higher mark ups than what Dyson can offer say Dyson’s are not reliable.  Hmmm.

DIB

*If Amway did not steal Dyson’s Dual Cyclone, James Dyson probably would of been credited (patented and dated) as the first with a Hepa inside a household vacuum.  Amway probably got the idea from Dyson himself.  Dyson led, Amway stole.
This message was modified Feb 24, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

lazaruspup

Reply #13   Feb 24, 2009 4:05 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Dyson lead, Amway stole.

Were you trying to say Dyson led? Or Dyson's machines are lead?? Like a lead weight since most of them way north of 20 pounds... :)
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #14   Feb 24, 2009 5:17 pm
I'll give Dyson credit for his bagless dirt collection system being very nice.   Dyson is benefiting from most of it's vacuums being fairly new for the reliability estimates in CR.  We'll see if the ratings drop over time. 

Dysons are decent cleaners, but I'd have to say that Hoover and Kenmore are leading the scores in Consumer Reports.  You're a fool if you don't think that Dyson has purchased Hoovers and Kenmores to take apart and study. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #15   Feb 24, 2009 7:38 pm
Severus wrote:
I'll give Dyson credit for his bagless dirt collection system being very nice.   Dyson is benefiting from most of it's vacuums being fairly new for the reliability estimates in CR.  We'll see if the ratings drop over time. 

Dysons are decent cleaners, but I'd have to say that Hoover and Kenmore are leading the scores in Consumer Reports.  You're a fool if you don't think that Dyson has purchased Hoovers and Kenmores to take apart and study. 

Based on my memory and recall [please anyone contradict me with your proof] HOOVER and Kenmore uprights have taked the lead positions in performance for uprights by Consumer Reports for AT LEAST the last decade.  Since at least 1999 both these vacuum brands have vied for the number 1 CR upright spot with the other brand usually getting the number 2 place or very very close behind.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #16   Feb 24, 2009 8:10 pm
lazaruspup wrote:
Were you trying to say Dyson led? Or Dyson's machines are lead?? Like a lead weight since most of them way north of 20 pounds... :)

That would be led.        DIB

CarmineD

Reply #17   Feb 25, 2009 3:06 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Based on my memory and recall [please anyone contradict me with your proof] HOOVER and Kenmore uprights have taked the lead positions in performance for uprights by Consumer Reports for AT LEAST the last decade.  Since at least 1999 both these vacuum brands have vied for the number 1 CR upright spot with the other brand usually getting the number 2 place or very very close behind.

Carmine D.

For clarity: Lead positions mean Number 1 and/or 2 for best upright vacuum cleaners. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 8 - 17 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42