Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 446 - 455 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Reply #446   Jan 9, 2009 11:58 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

I  have friends and family members who work for W*M and love their jobs.  Just as you probably know persons who work for dyson and love their jobs.  Why attack one company [W*M] for outsourcing and praise the other [dyson] for the same?  If outsourcing is a social/economic evil when W*M does it, then it is the same when dyson/any other company does it.  Failure for you to understand/agree with this after several attempts at trying is obtuse.

I'd much rather discuss the latest news on the W*M and dyson business relationship but despite several opportunities you have not said.  You obviously know something about it and it is affecting your opinions of W*M now here.   Would you like to add something about the latest W*M and dyson turn of business events?  Or continue to spew your opinions about how bad W*M outsourcing is for the US and how great it is for dyson and the UK?  BTW, how many manufacturing jobs are lost in the USA by W*M selling iPhones in W*M stores?  

Carmine D.

Carmine,

Your “Dyson is Walmart-like” was a new challenge for me.  Thanks.

From 1993 to [early] 2002 James Dyson was spending his own money investing in [his] British factories, hiring and employing Britons, and choosing this over the far cheaper and more profitable route of using China or otherwise...  during this same time-frame, just how many American factories did Walmart open/help their suppliers open?  How many American factories did they shut down (directly or indirectly)?

I’ve been doing some research on this monster sized whore called Walmart, or more accurately... the whores who run it along with their lieutenants.

Are your Walmart friends going to join in on the $640m (and growing?) Walmart abuse (abuse their employees) settlement?  Or were they part of upper management that took part of screwing their employees?  Are your friends on any sort of Welfare or alike?  After all the Walton’s are only worth the infinitesimal amount of $100b, so it is an absolute must that the Walmart associates get paid just a little bit above dirt.  After all they are payed in dirt or not paid at all...  or so the many class actions suits across our country says so.  Maybe if they cannot jump in on this class action, perhaps some of the other class actions against Walmart could pay (probably to late, but I wanted to establish this is not the first time the whores in suits screwed their employees and got caught).

DIB

P.S.   Did you read where Adidas has sued Walmart 3 different times in 13 years over Walmart’s abuse (oops) I should say - the better con is calling it...  “efficiency and bringing value to our customers”. The Walmart suits again got caught stealing Adidas’ trademarked property (aka livelihood)?  Walmart shows no favorites...  they’ll screw anyone.
This message was modified Jan 10, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

DysonInventsBig

Reply #447   Jan 10, 2009 12:32 am
Dyson gets a nice mention in the Wall Street Journal.

online.wsj.com/article/SB123144483005365353.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
This message was modified Jan 10, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #448   Jan 10, 2009 7:05 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

You make an excellent point.  As consumers, Americans vote with their pocketbook.  Case in point for Wal*Mart.  You may have noted that Wal*Mart recently settled some long standing cases involving knucklehead managers and supervisors who denied employees their wages [a sin that cries out to God].  Wal*Mart management IMHO was slow to settle with some cases taking over 8 years.  No excuse for the delay.  I understand investigating the claims first and supporting supervisors and managers, but this was much too much time. 

So what was the impetus for the recent Wal*Mart settlements after so long?  Several reasons.  One in particular which spoke volumes.  According to Wal*Mart sanctioned surveys and studies the lingering cases were costing the company in the bottom line: 2-8 lower sales and profits.   The company decided it was time to do the right thing!  And to its credit, it did.  FINALLY!!!

In the state of Nevada there were over 50 stores and about 1600 employees affected by these cases.  Extrapolate that across the nation for Wal*Mart stores.  Disgruntled employees, and their friends and family not shopping at the stores.  Hurts the bottom line.  More and more over time. 

Carmine D.

Hello DIB:

Sounds like you missed my post above to Venson.    

For every supposed negative item you attribute to Wal*Mart, I'll find at least one positive [instituting product standards on Chinese toy suppliers before the 2008 Holiday sales season].  Dare I mention the social/economic good that W*M does by its expansions internationally into Japan, Chile, Mexico, Brazil, India etc?  Or..... does it only count as a net good when dyson does it?

My point to you is simple.  It's logically inconsistent to condemn W*M for outsourcing and cast praise on dyson for it.  Malaysia [dyson] is southeast Asia.  China [W*M] is Asia.  HELLO!  If one doesn't understand/agree after several attempts, the word challenge comes to mind but more correctly obtuse.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Jan 10, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #449   Jan 10, 2009 7:12 am
What struck me when I read the WSJ article is that it leads off with Bernie Madoff.  Bernard swindled over $51 billion from trusting investors AND FRIENDS using a Ponzi scheme.  The crux of a Ponzi scheme, as you probably know now, is to convince people to fork over their money who otherwise would not for lack of knowledge/understanding the investment fundamentals.  Why?  Exuberance and greed.  Everyone else is!  If you don't fork it up, you will missout on this great opportunity.  Well 8 plus years later and 8 bungled investigations,  Bernie "made off" with $51 B in others' money.  Why do I mention this Ponzi scheme?  In the past you may recall, I used this same analogy to explain the HSN hyped sales numbers.  It's a basic tenet of the art of deception and flim flam sales.  Like schills in an auction crowd.  Some may call it marketing.  I doubt the good college marketing professor would agree.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 10, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #450   Jan 11, 2009 12:36 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

Sounds like you missed my post above to Venson.    

For every supposed negative item you attribute to Wal*Mart, I'll find at least one positive [instituting product standards on Chinese toy suppliers before the 2008 Holiday sales season].  Dare I mention the social/economic good that W*M does by its expansions internationally into Japan, Chile, Mexico, Brazil, India etc?  Or..... does it only count as a net good when dyson does it?

My point to you is simple.  It's logically inconsistent to condemn W*M for outsourcing and cast praise on dyson for it.  Malaysia [dyson] is southeast Asia.  China [W*M] is Asia.  HELLO!  If one doesn't understand/agree after several attempts, the word challenge comes to mind but more correctly obtuse.

Carmine D. 

Carmine,

My greater point has always been...  Dyson was forced to do it (move offshore).  Walmart forces MANY to do it (move offshore).

DIB

P.S.  Where or when did I praise Dyson for moving offshore?

M00seUK

Reply #451   Jan 11, 2009 1:26 pm
The slightly crazy thing about Dyson deciding to move production to Malaysia, is if they'd simply built from there at the very beginning, it would have been a complete and utter non-issue.

One of the benefits of UK-based production, was that the machines were designed and built under the same roof. It must have quite satisfying. These days, it will be replaced with the anticipation of opening a container of pre-production samples.

Not that Dyson should escape criticism; they tended to act a bit superior and were happy promote their domestic production when it suited them. However, the rational was:-

1. Limited planning support in the local area for expansion.
  2. Minimal reliance on local employment - other businesses in the area where often frustrated with Dyson's presence as they couldn't recruit for local unskilled labour, because Dyson was such a lucrative employer!
  3. While they could make a reasonable profit selling to the UK market, the exchange rate meant that each exported unit was making them a loss.
  4. A lot of the components (i.e. motors / plugs / hoses) they required weren't available locally. If you're supplying to the far east, it's a bit crazy to source parts from there, bring them to the UK, put them together and send them back again!
  5. For the reason above, particularly expansion being limited, being able to supply the US market would have been a complete non-starter.
  6. New IT technologies allow effective communication between different parts of the world, that makes production not being under the same roof, a lot less of an issue than it might have been in the past.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #452   Jan 11, 2009 2:36 pm
Thanks Moose, good stuff written.

Here is a lengthy video interview of James Dyson.  He voices his concerns for Britain's lack of innovation and mentions many who have already moved their entire engineering and manufacturing operations offshore.

http://cmypitch.com   click > entrepreneurTV.  Registration required.

Carmine,

MSNBC (host) recently said Walmart shareholders “Wanted the head of CEO Lee Scott” until he expanded (i.e. made shareholders money) into international markets.  Unlike Lee Scott, James Dyson’s job does not depend on or answer to a mob (i.e. shareholders).

Moose mentions Dyson paying well, certainly Walmart’s Chinese manufacturers during same timeframe paid only $1- $3 per day. - Fitting for a place where life is cheap. - Fitting for a Walmart shareholder and fitting for the Walmart suits whose livelihood and *future success depend on mob/shareholder approval.

DIB

*If to join another company.
This message was modified Jan 11, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #453   Jan 11, 2009 8:44 pm
"The slightly crazy thing about Dyson deciding to move production to Malaysia, is if they'd simply built from there at the very beginning, it would have been a complete and utter non-issue."

Hi M00seUK:

It's not the outsourcing by dyson that's troublesome for the Brits.  It's the high prices for the Malaysian made dysons compared to the UK made, IMHO.  I bought a new DC07 pink for $250 made in Malaysia [with a 5 year warranty].  And $45 went to the Susan G. Komen Cancer Foundation.  I wouldn't pay more since it's made in southeast Asia.  Similarly, US buyers had problems paying $500 for the infamous halo made in China.   If German made, sure.  But Chinese made, no can do.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Jan 11, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #454   Jan 12, 2009 7:17 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Moose mentions Dyson paying well, certainly Walmart’s Chinese manufacturers during same timeframe paid only $1- $3 per day. - Fitting for a place where life is cheap. -

I suspect your China pay data is 2-3 years old.  Using it, if you convert the daily dollars to China yuan which is about 7 to the $1.00 [based on Friday exchange rates, January 9, 2009] 7-21 yuan per day, 630 per month, and 7600 per year.  Probably pretty good for factory workers in China today.  BTW, the Malaysian ringgit is half the value of the China yuan to the dollar [3.46] and has incurred huge decreases YTD including the new year so far with a 2.6 percent drop.  Does dyson adjust its Malaysia contractor's workers' pay upward when the value of the ringgit falls?  This would be a nice "bennie" especially since the Malaysia government recently rescinded the mandated tax subsidies which artificially kept workers' wages inflated by almost 40 percent for many years.  I suspect to attract foreign investment and business.

FWIW, President Clinton signed a full scale trade agreement with China during his second term after both Presidents Nixon [1971] and Carter [1979] lead the way by opening trade lines.  With the China trade agreement, which is still in place, all the powers that be by the world trade countries [including the USA] can be brought to bear on China for trade violations including labor abuses.  W*M was instrumental in President Clinton's trip to China and his trade actions.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 12, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #455   Jan 12, 2009 3:11 pm
Carmine,

You made no mention of not one (of many) Walmart abuses I posted nor did you defend them.

You have many negative opinions and many unsubstantiated claims of Dyson...  What say you of many factual and documented Walmart abuses?  When the brain damage woman was sued relentlessly by Walmart was this an abuse or was it "just business"?  How many stockholders at any given stockholder meetings stand up and question this or any of the other Walmart abuses?  Or do they keep quite and believe "it's only business"?

Since you insisted in making a Walmart v. Dyson debate here is what the average [Walmart] Chinese worker was paid in 2002...   $.57 per hr (linked below).  Not to mention the squaller these workers live in near their employment nor their many other hardships.  Certainly Dyson paid his factory workers far more in this same year and previous years (1993-2002).  Dyson factory operators worked 4 days on 4 days off in 12 hr. shifts and were well paid (per Moose).

http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2005/08/art3full.pdf

DIB
This message was modified Jan 12, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 446 - 455 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42