Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > what do you think of DVC bags?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Vacuumfreeeke

what do you think of DVC bags?
Original Message   Jan 8, 2009 6:09 pm
So, the Miele Plus that I got for 15 bucks came with only one bag.  The bag in it is a paper bag that is Miele brand.  The machine has a slight dog smell so I'm thinking/hoping that changing the bag and filters will eliminate that some... plus I needed to stock up on extra bags.  I got 10 FJM bags and 4 filters (two of each kind, post and pre motor) for 20 bucks.  They are DVC brand.  While I know that DVC makes generic bags that typically aren't as good a quality as genuine, I'm pretty impressed with these bags.  They aren't paper, they are the fiber material that kind of feel like cloth that are supposed to be better at filtering.  I guess to do a proper comparision, I would need to compare it to the Miele version (versus the paper Miele that I have in the machine now)... but these DVC Allergen bags seem great.  They are thick, the seams have a good seal, and they even have the opening that slides shut when the bag is changed.  IIRC, the Miele version of these bags was 50 dollars a box and I just didn't want to spend that much!

I remember when I sold vacuums at Sears there was a choice of the yellow paper bags or the faux cloth ones that were 4 dollars a piece. 

Are any of you here happy with DVC bags, or are you a purist who insists on only manufacturer branded items for your machines?

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: what do you think of DVC bags?
Reply #1   Jan 8, 2009 7:28 pm
Hi Bobby:

It's not an "either-or" answer: Genuine/replacement bags.  It's both for the right reasons.  The DVC paper bags have been an industry staple for years.  Years ago, they were okay.  But, the industry has come a long way with improving paper bags and DVC followed.  For your MIELE S251, try using both brands, DVC and MIELE, at different times and decide which is best for performance, operation and price. 

Now, if I were Venson, who just bought the new S7 MIELE Tango, the answer would be the MIELE brand bags most definitely.  Especially since it will be awhile until the replacements are available and tested for performance.  At $950 MSRP, you don't want to skimp on the bags.  Not so for yours which is used, has been around for awhile, and only cost you $15.  What a price!  Just think, a package of MIELE bags costs as much as you paid for the MIELE.  Such a deal!

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #2   Jan 9, 2009 5:15 am
CarmineD wrote:

. . . Now, if I were Venson, who just bought the new S7 MIELE Tango, the answer would be the MIELE brand bags most definitely.  Especially since it will be awhile until the replacements are available and tested for performance.  At $950 MSRP, you don't want to skimp on the bags.  Not so for yours which is used, has been around for awhile, and only cost you $15.  What a price!  Just think, a package of MIELE bags costs as much as you paid for the MIELE.  Such a deal!

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I thoroughly agree.  No sense in messing up a good thing.  Buying a package of genuine Miele S7 bags was the very next thing I did after putting my money down for the cleaner.  Two bags come with the S7 and replacement bags pack four to a box for about $16.99 plus tax.  A fresh pre-filter is included in each box.

I definitely feel the price of bags is over-inflated but I have already learned about the high efficiency of the brand's genuine bags.  As far as I'm concerned, it is not just a matter of filtration that provides clean exhaust.  It's also about keeping the motor clean as well and Miele's bags do a great job at it.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #3   Jan 9, 2009 7:09 am
Hi Venson:

$4 plus per bag is not bad.  I suspect one bag will last a month or more depending on usage. 

We've touched on these issues before and even recently.  Bag quality [not only filtration] with the odor resistant and anti-bacterial additives are serving the vacuum industry very well.  I suspect the pleated paper filters even in the cheap bagless vacuums will move in this direction soon if not already [ARM & HAMMER filters] and provide benefits/advantages over the washable foam filters. 

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Jan 9, 2009 by CarmineD
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #4   Jan 10, 2009 12:55 pm
I put in a new bag and post and pre motor filter.  Wow, am I impressed.  The doggy smell from the previous owner is completely gone now (much easier than de-dogging my dyson which took months)... and the already tremendous suction was doubled.  I want to vacuum every floor in the world now!
Trilobite

Reply #5   Jan 10, 2009 7:15 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
I put in a new bag and post and pre motor filter.  Wow, am I impressed.  The doggy smell from the previous owner is completely gone now (much easier than de-dogging my dyson which took months)... and the already tremendous suction was doubled.  I want to vacuum every floor in the world now!

That's the thing; whereas you have to spend ages washing and drying bagless bins and filters, Dysons included, a bagged cleaner usually just means replacing a smelly bag and filter with a nice new bag and filter. Problem solved.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42